Will Roy Keane make a good manager ?

BOF

Will Roy Keane succeed at Sunderland ?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Will Roy Keane succeed at Sunderland ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

This could go either way.

On the plus side he has been coached by 2 modern legends - Brian Clough & Alex Ferguson, so he can't have failed to pick up on how they get their teams arranged & motivated. Considering his ferocious desire to win, there will also clearly never be any fear of his teams putting less than 100% into their performances. His knowledge of the game wil also hold him in good stead.

It is because of all of the above that I think he will make a good manager.

However, the down side is that as a manager you need to be able to give people confidence. This means telling players they are brilliant even if they aren't. Keane's ability to pull no punches as a player will not stand him well if he starts telling his average Sunderland players that they are in fact crap. He may also suffer from Souness-itis i.e. falling out with players. It might be a case that you either get on with Roy or you don't. No in betweens. And Roy will need to learn how to compromise. Something he definitely never did as a player.

So bearing all that in mind and balancing the pluses and the minuses. Do you think he will be a hit or a miss ?

Well his bessie mate Mick managed to get a roughly similar squad team promoted (and relegated), with a net spend of roughly -£11m (yes minus £11m - spent £6m, recouped £17m) over three seasons in charge. Roy will need an experienced coach to handle the day to day on the training ground otherwise he's fkd. If he saves his 'motivational' speeches for match days and doesnt destroy the players day in-day out, he may have half a chance.

But the nutter won't believe that he can't do a better job and will get too hands on. Therefore I reckon the psychotic clown will spend more and achieve less than Mick Mc did with the similar resources handed to them.

The lack of quality will show him up to be a rubbish manager. At a Premiership side with bagloads of cash, good young players and big egos, he would succeed. But Sunderland have none of this - he'll fall out with the players, cause dressing room unrest, and not be able to sign any of the players he supposedly has in his ideas (due to the division Sunderland find themselves in).

I don't even want him to succeed either - the man got away with murder just because he played for Man Utd and was sheilded by Ferguson for much of his career.

I think if he takes Brian Kidd with him then they have a good chance over a period of time of doing well. Like us though the appointment is far too late for the transfer market so he's pretty much stuck with what they have which will make it difficult for him at the start

I think if he takes Brian Kidd with him then they have a good chance over a period of time of doing well. Like us though the appointment is far too late for the transfer market so he's pretty much stuck with what they have which will make it difficult for him at the start

Championship sides can bring in players from outside the Premiership after 1st September. Nethertheless, the quality he could bring in won't be any better....

No - not at Sunderland anyway

He's got next to sod all lower league experience as a player, no managerial experience whatsoever and a temper tantrum rating of 9 out of 10

I have the top trumps, and Dennis Wise's temper tantrum rating is 9 out of 10 aswell, and he's currently untouched at the top of League 2. Anyhoo, it'll be interesting to find out which way his career goes. If it goes well, expect ManUre to be calling within 2 or 3 years.

No - not at Sunderland anyway

He's got next to sod all lower league experience as a player, no managerial experience whatsoever and a temper tantrum rating of 9 out of 10

I have the top trumps, and Dennis Wise's temper tantrum rating is 9 out of 10 aswell, and he's currently untouched at the top of League 2. Anyhoo, it'll be interesting to find out which way his career goes. If it goes well, expect ManUre to be calling within 2 or 3 years.

Yeah but theres cheeky chappy temper tantrum which is over is a flash and theres dark b rooding goes on forever temper tantrum

Its a question of temper tantrum definition ;)

I'd have though Celtic might have been his next port of call if he makes a success of it - then he can go to the dung pile :mrgreen:

I think Keane can be a good manager but not at Sunderland.

reid (twice) and mccarthy both managed to get sunderland promoted inside 2 seasons. If roy does not achieve the same I would guess it's his fault not the club's.

If he's going to play with the big boys he will be judged against the big boys.

With regards to experience - it was only reid's second job, and mccarthy was a "crap manager" - so says the book according to cobh.

Put don't know mostly because of the reasons you write in the first post, BOF. But I feel that he would be better as a coach or assisting manager. think he'll lack in tactical awareness. But he can be a damn good motivator I think if he's somewhat controlled by someone else.