RIP Bert Jansch

mjmooney

Bert was a MASSIVE influence on JP. Listen to Blackwater Side on the first LZ album - he got that from Jansch.

Im still none the wiser as to who Jimmy Page is Mike?

Don't know whether that warrants a :o or a :crylaugh:

:oops:

I recognise the name, just cant place him...

Led Zeppelin?

Who?

Nope, that's Pete Townshend.

:clap: :clap:

Mike keeping up the fine VT tradition of RIP threads for people nobody has heard of :thumb:

And at the same time everybody and his spotty dog knows about Brittney Spears, Lady gaga, Justin Beiber and a truckload of shit realityshow-people and x-factor contestants.

Not having a go at you, just this crappy reality :-(

Yes but the 'artists' (used loosely) you refer to, perform pop music.

It's called pop because it's popular.

It's popular because it's liked by the majority.

It's liked by the majority because the majority are **** stupid!

Pop music to me has always been a genre. I've never drawn the conclusion to the wordplay of it. I'm a noob :-(

Yes, but (originally) "popular" in the sense of "...of the people", rather than "widely liked".

Similar derivation to "folk music", in other words - and intended to draw a distinction with "classical" music, which derived from especially skilled composers, rather than the likes of you and me.

Speaking to The Guardian last year, Jansch - who is survived by his wife Loren - said he was "not one for showing off".

But he admitted that his guitar-playing "sticks out" - a skill that once prompted Neil Young to put him on the same level as Jimi Hendrix.

BBC news

Was just about to mention Neil Young. High praise indeed, for a true great.

RIP Bert.

Johnny Marr said:

“He completely re-invented guitar playing and set a standard that is still unequalled today - without Bert Jansch, rock music as it developed in the 1960s and 1970s would have been very different. You hear him in Nick Drake, Pete Townshend, Donovan, The Beatles, Jimmy Page and Neil Young. There are people playing guitar who don’t even realise they’ve been influenced by him one step removed."

Telegraph

Â