un-English bid video for 2018 World Cup

TRS-T

Was this the video that cost us? The very un-English presentation screened to FIFA delegates

Gotta say that I agree with this article.

The video was hardly about England.

I don't see what people in Africa, Asia, the Caribbean etc have do with England bidding to host the World Cup.

They should have been showing football fans in England.

Also it seemed like it was a promotional video for the Premier League which was not the aim.

Think the people who made the video focused too much on it being multi-cultural and forgot that the video was supposed to be about England...

PC gone mad?

If only we'd had the foresight and common sense to have filled the video full of footage of Stanley Matthews, last night of the proms, Her Majesty the Queen (God bless her) and an EDL march.

Daily Mail in "damn those foreigners" shock.

TRS-T in "something isn't English enough" shock. :)

:)

I'm not saying that the video cost us or that with a different video we would have won, just that the video is hardly about England really.

Looks like a promotional video for the Premier League with all the Sky 4 shirts and players featured...

Drogba? Torres?

Hardly English players...

People playing in Africa, Asia etc why not Birmingham, Newcastle etc.

If i remember at the time the English committee was raving about how great teh video was and seemed certain that they were going to get the World Cup.

A lot more things cost England the World Cup mainly the fact they arent liked within FIFA due to their arrogance. They had a chance to help address this in summer but sent a 6th choice Under 20 team to COlombia. The 2nd most prestigious FIFA tournament

The reason England are disliked by the suits at FIFA has nothing to do with arrogance and everything to do with IFAB. They hate the fact that one nation, the United Kingdom, can have four teams and each of the associations who represent those teams has more power than everybody else who is a FIFA member. There are plenty of places who see the existence of our four home nations as unfair as by the letter of the law they should get the same treatment too. Catalonia and the Basque Country for example, they claim they should be able to field FIFA recognised sides in the same way as Wales can field a side independent of England/London. I imagine it causes many headaches in the corridors of power at FIFA and rightly or wrongly it pisses a lot of people off.

I'm not saying that the video cost us or that with a different video we would have won, just that the video is hardly about England really.

Oh, I absolutely agree with you on this one. It's just as I was reading through the thread I couldn't help but think "By God does this man love his Blighty".

Basque Country for example, they claim they should be able to field FIFA recognised sides

Yeah but if that were the case, how pissed off would Athletic Bilbao fans get when their entire squad gets called up every time an international fixture is on?

Oh, I absolutely agree with you on this one. It's just as I was reading through the thread I couldn't help but think "By God does this man love his Blighty".

Let TRST-T and Zatman have it out in their own thread. They're certainly on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to England. (As further evidenced in this very thread).

Also it seemed like it was a promotional video for the Premier League which was not the aim.

Says who?

Well it was supposed to promote England 2018 not the foreign fans and players of the Premier League

Well it was supposed to promote England 2018 not the foreign fans and players of the Premier League

think it was trying to say all football fans are welcomed in England whatever nationality they are. Which is true

Â