The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

It's been over 7 months and I still can't get my head around this guy as our manager.

I've been reading the H&V site abit and what a bunch of happy clappers. There's quite a few who are making excuses for him despite the statistics proving why he has relegations. Some take it further by thinking he's doing a good job. :|

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been over 7 months and I still can't get my head around this guy as our manager.

I've been reading the H&V site abit and what a bunch of happy clappers. There's quite a few who are making excuses for him despite the statistics proving why he has relegations. Some take it further by thinking he's doing a good job. :|

I think that you will find that it is something called different opinions.

You join a select group of contributors on here who do not think that anyone is entitled to an opinion that contradicts your own.

It wouldn't be much of a forum if everyone agreed with each other.

Yeah but like I said the statistics prove McLeish is a bad manager in the league at least. The goal ratio per game is extremely low and fails to pick up many wins. And it's been exactly the same at this club. We haven't even seen his worst side yet. He becomes awful in the second half of the season as opposed to his mediocrity (at best) in the first half. I would take 17th right now than risk him managing us for the second half in the hope of finishing higher.

It's a fact that he's useless in the Premier League (with his 2 PL relegations and even spent over 30m - more than Wigan and Wolves) that's why there were strong protests before he became manager. Now it boils down to insecurity issues. They can delude themselves all they like but it's a fact he ISN'T doing a good job unless their standards have dropped so much they've forgotten who we are. We're not SHA, we're Aston Villa. They should remember that.

They'll come round. Remember a few months ago when the large majority of people here said they'd rather have McLeish than Houllier in that poll?

I guess it takes longer for the penny to drop for some people. I was never a McLeish fan but the turning point for me was Spurs away. He hasn't done much to redeem himself since then. He's actually made it worse.

He also took them to a record 9th position, which is a very good achievement, whichever way you look at it. Not a big fan, just wanted to throw it into the equation.
Yes, that's been mentioned a few times already.

What must be remembered however is that season they were one of the lowest scorers in the division (despite finishing 9th) and played the typical McLeish brand of football. Oh yeah, and there's the small matter of that same team getting relegated the next season.

Yeah, how can you go from 9th to relegation. That's a huge gap. McLeish wasn't even a tactical genius when he was at his peak in the Premier League. It was down to Joe Hart saving them alot. And even then they were only scrapped wins.

He also took them to a record 9th position, which is a very good achievement, whichever way you look at it. Not a big fan, just wanted to throw it into the equation.

And he finished 3rd with Rangers.... round and round we go.

Ultimately I'm not really bothered what he did prior to turning up here, what does bother me is how he does as our manager.

Personally I don't think he is doing a very good job at all and that is far more important than what he did elsewhere.

He needs to start winning games something he doesn't appear to be much good at due to his inability to create sides that score goals. His negative tactics are not a myth despite what he tries to tell us.

And he finished 3rd with Rangers.... round and round we go.

Ultimately I'm not really bothered what he did prior to turning up here, what does bother me is how he does as our manager.

Personally I don't think he is doing a very good job at all and that is far more important than what he did elsewhere.

He needs to start winning games something he doesn't appear to be much good at due to his inability to create sides that score goals. His negative tactics are not a myth despite what he tries to tell us.

Exactly. He really needs to sort it out. Unfortunately I can't really see much changing until he leaves. As long as he's here we'll always be one of if not the most boring team in the league that struggles to score and gets lots of draws, while also hardly ever winning.

Like I said I'm not a fan, but 9th at a club like sha is good achievement and should be mentioned as a counterpart if you're going to bring up the two relegations.

Imo 9th is a position a "popular" (with many) and "positive" manager like Roberto Martinez will never achieve at a comparable club like Wigan with his positive, free-flowing style of football.

However like Trent says, it's the here and now that matters, and that's just not good enough. But hey ho, imagine what he could have done with some proper backing, eh :D

I feel its very hard to have a reasonable debate about McLeish on this feeds because I do feel there is a bias against him. I'll say here and now that I'm not a huge fan of his, but I'm willing to give him a chance, but he must get the team playing better and / or winning else he won't have a future here. But back to my original point, I see that people are always recalling McLeish's failures in the past and conveniently ignore his successes.

For instance, when people say "He finished 3rd with Rangers and got Blues relegated twice" it is unfair not to take account of the fact that at Rangers he was dealing with cutbacks after the failed Advocaat era, won 2 domestic cups in his first year, won 2 Scottish titles in the next 3 years (against M'ON's Celtic) and got to Champions League last 16.

With Blues he came in, failed to impact enough in his first season and got relegated but got promoted staight away, had a record unbeaten run and won a League Cup next season...Then had a bad run and got relegated on the last day of the season.

McLeish has had ups and downs in his managerial career, all balancing out each other. Failing at Villa would end his managerial career outside of Scotland probably.

McLeish has had ups and downs in his managerial career, all balancing out each other. Failing at Villa would end his managerial career outside of Scotland probably.

Extremely unlikely especially as man will think he never stood a chance because we were all against him because he managed Blues.

What annoys me more is that people think it is because he is ex sha, cannot , in the main, see how crap he actually is and we are not likely to be rid of him either.
I agree. If McLeish was a half decent manager I'd be glad that we poached him from them. Unfortunately he's terrible and it's clear that SHA fans were glad to be rid of him.

Hughton is a much better manager than McLeish aswell imo.

SHA got the better deal as we gave them 2m so probably stopped them going into admin.

I also think if he'd been at SHA this season, they'd have gone out of europe before the group stages and they'd be nowhere near the play offs.

Even those 2 clubs are too big for him. He shouldn't be a Premier League manager full stop. In fact, he should retire all together. One of the most negative managers in the world who doesn't even get the team to play football. No football fan deserves that.

Bit harsh but yeah I'd hate to be the manager of the next club he'd wind up at, good luck that board trying to talk it up!
Unfortunately though we are currently the club afflicted with him and it doesn't look like we'll be cured any time soon. Depressing to think about. :cry:

Â