Photography?

trimandson

One of Tonights efforts..

pier7zg.jpg

Like that. For some reason the thing on the pier looks false but still. I like it.

My efforts for the evening consisted of beating a national league hockey side 7-1 in the summer league (We're 5 levels below in normal season league I think), which is very impressive if you ask me. Admittedly they were missing all their international players but they're still a strong side, we didn't have our first team out ourselves.

Thanks Paddy, the thing on the pier looks false because of the sun I think, there is a weird reflection on the picture. The hills are the welsh hills across the Bristol channel, the pier is a Clevedon.

Well done with the win BTW!! :lol:

Wurzel That pier is a bit of a draw for photographers, seen it a few times in magazines. If thats close to you - you're a lucky man, my closest Pier is Southport - its a) very shit and B) it only reaches the sea twice a year (you think I'm joking). Best piers close to me (relatively speaking) are the ones in Blackpool which are great for photo's - I've taken a few of my best ever shots there

And you wanted to see what I got up to today, well this is the beach panorama I'm working on, very much a work in progress, much to do, curvature of horizon needs sorting, ghosts of the walkers (my missus and daughter) need cloning out, few other bits and bobs need sorting too

beachpano0015sd.th.jpg

Anyway even the picture the thumbnail leads to is only 2/7ths of the full size - its seven photos stitched together

And after two bottles of very strong ale, I just realised, your photo shows almost the start of the Welsh coast and mine if you look on the left hand side shows almost the finish of it at the other end - Bristol channel > Dee Estuary, taken on the same day thats kinda neat :)

Now then fellas. Was going through my bedroom today and found my Grandad's old camera.

It's just an old SLR, an Olympus OM10. Now before you start spluttering your coffee on the screen in disbelief, yes it is very old.

However, would it be of any use to me whatsoever if I wanted to start on the basics of photography? In my house we have a hardback book on the basics of photography which will help, but is that camera so obselete now that it will be pointless, or can it be appreciated with misty eyes by an afficianado?

I found my old OM-10 just t'other day, thinking of getting it serviced to see if its still useable, its quite cheap to buy second hand lenses for as theres still plenty to be found in condition. You would with an OM-10 though need a little plug in thingymabob called a manual adapter to give you true control over everything. But as long as it works it works but one thing you need to make sure of is that the film chamber is light fast (ie it doesnt let light in) - only way to check this is shoot some film

I found my old OM-10 just t'other day, thinking of getting it serviced to see if its still useable, its quite cheap to buy second hand lenses for as theres still plenty to be found in condition. You would with an OM-10 though need a little plug in thingymabob called a manual adapter to give you true control over everything. But as long as it works it works but one thing you need to make sure of is that the film chamber is light fast (ie it doesnt let light in) - only way to check this is shoot some film

So it's an OK camera to start out with? Like I say it was my grandad's so he's kept it in perfect condition, it's got three lenses and a flash as well as a tripod. As you say I'm not sure if it's light fast.

Was it on here that someone posted Hans van der Meer's Football Fields? Some fantastic works of his, so much so that it's the first art book I've ever bought.

Grant, and anybody else who needs photo editing software, this months DVD edition of PC Advisor comes with full versions of Photoplus 7, Photostudio 8, and Panorama Plus free. Why pay when you can get it for free!

Grant, and anybody else who needs photo editing software, this months DVD edition of PC Advisor comes with full versions of Photoplus 7, Photostudio 8, and Panorama Plus free. Why pay when you can get it for free!

Ah good man, you're firmly established at number 102 on my xmas card list. Keep this up and you'll be top 100 in no time!

theres only one Panorama software worth having - its called Autopano - its something you have to pay for unless of course you know where to get a :roll: slightly naughty copy from :roll:

(Pm me I might just be able to help there)

Autopano is so good that Adobe have just bought the company just to get the software

Oh and anyone who needs to process RAW files use the Free version of Rawshooter less features than the pay for pro version but it still outperforms PS in the Raw processing stakes (rumour has it Adobe is buying this company too)

Edit - just went to the RAWshooter website and low and behold its plastered with Adobe stuff, they've been bought out too

southportpier0013ef.jpg

One for Wurzel, went to Southport today, took my camera so I could shoot the pier that never reaches the sea and as you can see, today was one of those RARE days when the sea actually came in :roll: - bloody typical

That newish bit on the end has a cafe in it (this I knew - and is nothing special) but it also has an amusement arcade in it - so fecking what you might say! well i was shocked, its more of a working amusement arcade museum, lots of really old amusement arcade machines and they all work, best of all they work with those big old pennys (imperial) - you put a quid in a change machine and get ten old pennies out, the slot machines are on the max payout I think as you do wiin quite often (the idea being you get to try more machines for your money), superb waste of half an hour, my opinion of the Worlds first Iron pleasure pier (another fact wot I learned today) has gone up considerably - still prefer yours Wurzel for photography though

Â