Photography?

trimandson

the landscape needs abit of shopping Al, thought I'd have a quick bash before i got in the bath

als0011qg.jpg

very roughly and two mins work - took longer for PS to fire up

shame about the telephone wire, really didnt have time to clone that out

as a view from my window type snap its not bad, still no real point of focus, no leading lines and no compositional rules

On a positive point it has a couple of weak diagonals and a nice interesting sky but not that bad

can't really comment on Aston kicking a ball as I'm crap at action photogtraphy myself

cannot decide if I should

Start out gently bentley, by getting a cheap dslr such as the pentax ist or one ots verious guises at a cost of say £350.

Or a Canon 350 for about £485 which is a slightly better camera,

Or wait for the new Sony which looks rather spunky (in the old fashioned sense) at a cost of £6-700 when released. My initial thought was as its only ever going to be a hobby, that the pentax, say with a cheapo 55-200 lens as well as the standard fitment.

Opinions?

I've just spent a while checking photography messageboards before buying, and some advice which struck me as very sound was this.

Camera bodies, beyond a certain point, won't add as much quality to your pictures per £ spent as lenses. The quality of your shots will be governed more by the lens quality than the body. And a good lens will last a lifetime, with proper care, where a body will be easier to replace. So buy the best lens you can afford, and compromise on the body to meet your budget.

But as Bicks says, you're buying into a system, so decide which manufacturer you will go with, because you'll be stuck with them for a long time, unless money is no problem. Decide on a system, get an OK body and one good lens, add another very good lens as and when you can afford it, and in time upgrade to a better camera body.

But the promotions you see on offer are often bundled with eg the Canon 18-55 lens, which gets pretty poor write-ups compared to other Canon lenses. It sounds like many people go for the best body they can afford and don't bother too much about the lens quality, and that seems like a mistake.

Yes Pete, absolutely sound advice with regards lens BUT with Digital photography the body will make a difference, pixel count does matter as do the various features a camera has. For example my Nikon D70 is provong to be a problem for me now because it won't shoot at an ISO lower than 200, this wouldn't be an issue with a film camera because the ISO is governed by the film you put in but in digital its in camera, also theres various features like noise reduction that some makes are better at than others for the higher ISO settings. If you want a full frame digital you'll have to spend serious money as the cheapest Fullframe digital body on the market is the Canon 5D (about £1800 body only last time I checked). There are a lot more issues with digital bodies than there ever were with film

If I was starting now from scratch I'd go down the Canon route as their lens are fractionally better and there isnt a lot to choose between the bodies, When I bought in, the entry level dSlr bodies of Both companies the Nikon won hands down. Kit lens wise the Canon Kit lens with the Canon350 (the one you mentioned Peter) isnt as good as the kit lens bundled with the nikon D70s.

its a minefield out there and you have to be informed in your purchase

see the thing with you photographers is that to me, my picture was a lovley pic of the lake district, one that doesn't need a focus point, no leading lines or whatever that other thing was.

Thing is from where I was I cannot see how I could create those three things. Hence the reason for posting. Don't tell me where to go and read about it, I like google as it is, just say. "If you'd taken it from slightly left with that tree in the middle to provide focus ....."

Pah you can't help some people :P You cant create those things from where you were, the point is to find somewhere you can, thats why landscape photography isnt as easy as turn up and take photo, theres a lot of legwork and research goes into it and most good landscape photography requires shooting either in the first or last hours of daylight ("the golden Hours") as the light is considered to be better. thats how all those great landscape pictures you see on calenders and the like are created

However if you like the photo the way it is thats also fine, its all personal opinions, if it means something to you thats the best reason in the world for liking it

Is the foreground as dark on your screen as it is mine btw?

Comment on the original pic, though I know nowt about the technicalities of 'tografy.

picture16fq.th.jpg

But the bit of the pic I've shown is the best bit.

It's got depth, which the part cropped out doesn't, yet it also shows the contrast between the green and the flats behind, and there's also the close-in focal point of the lock gates, with peripheral interest points from the people walking.

There's also less of the foreground, which was kind of wasted space.

There, an amateur pretentious review.

Here’s my two pence worth; go and have a look at the work of the great masters; Cartier-Bresson, Avedon, Capa, etc, etc. Look at the pictures. Work out how they work; the composition, the lighting, the idea behind the picture, etc. Form an opinion on what is good or bad about them.

Then you can have opinion about your own work and how to improve it.

Since I brought my camera, I've taken a strong interest in the local area, and tried to capture a few moments whilst driving around.

Whats the secret to good photography?

Just take lots of photos, of what you like to look at, sounds obvious but most people will only take one photo of a subject and then move on. I try to take the same subject but using different settings, and different angles. TBH it means I end up with a lot of poor and average photos, but now and again I get a good one. Have fun and dont get bogged down to much, after all, as long as you like them who cares??

Have fun and dont get bogged down to much, after all, as long as you like them who cares??

My favourite ones are ones that capture the moment, no time to mess with settings or anything like that, ones that really bring the moment back to you rather than just look impressive to others.

Having said that I like an arty photo every now and again (empty beer bottle amongst large pebbles on a beach taken in black and white is a favourite) and some landscape shots.

we had a **** FANTASTIC sunset on Monday night, the sort where the sky looks like its on fire, where was I? in the bloody office :(

Don't know whether I've put this one on here before but its my fave sunset shot, the colours are just unreal but we get these here two or three times a year, usually in the autumn

everythingandnothing5lj.jpg

Great shot, I love the purples, and oranges, with those clouds. I love sky's, they are so dramatic. I have thought about doing a course in photography, but I decided bollocks to it, I didn't want the fun knocking out of it. Its a great inexpensive hobby, and hopefully I've got plenty of time to get any good at it! By the way good hunting tomorrow, don't forget to post a few!

This is my favourite sunset picture. Palm tree leaning over the beach, the figure in the foreground, love it. Took it on my first night in Fiji, the girl I was with said leave it as it'd be the same every night. That was by far the best sunset of the lot, so there's a lesson I learnt there... never listen to women.

pict11877fe.jpg

I've got a camera not much bigger than my phone, its great for carrying around and capturing things like that, easy to take to sports events and stuff as well.

Thinking about it that was taken with my old camera which was about twice the size... but still.

Â