Photography?

trimandson

Interesting thread.

I've got into photography this year, but opted to learn from manual cameras before plunging into the digital market.

I've got a couple of Pentax K1000's and have just bought an LX. I've also got a Mamiya medium format. You can easily pick up a K1000 and 3 lenses (28, 50 and 80-200) for about £100 on ebay and sell them for about the same when you're ready to move on.

Going back about 10 pages to the original question, I found a couple of John Hedgecoe's books pretty helpful. They're available from Amazon, and go into quite a bit of detail on film and digital formats, as well as image manipulation.

Interesting thread.

I've got into photography this year, but opted to learn from manual cameras before plunging into the digital market.

I've got a couple of Pentax K1000's and have just bought an LX. I've also got a Mamiya medium format. You can easily pick up a K1000 and 3 lenses (28, 50 and 80-200) for about £100 on ebay and sell them for about the same when you're ready to move on.

Going back about 10 pages to the original question, I found a couple of John Hedgecoe's books pretty helpful. They're available from Amazon, and go into quite a bit of detail on film and digital formats, as well as image manipulation.

Worked with mamiya medium format cameras professionally for about 9 years... loved it. Don´t miss changing rolls any more tho but the quality was great.

Used the D200 on a job last saturday along with my own camera... enjoyed it to be honest, not perfect but far from rubbish (before anyway gets shirty, im not suggesting anyone said it was)..

And agree with the Hedgecoe recommendation, i have two of his old books and i love them, more for the photos and the simple layout and the nostalgia.. good for beginners too.

Lovely stuff Bicks, any more?

plenty, just got to find the time to go through them all tbh

Got to be honest Bicks, not up to some of your other stuff.

I know what you mean in a way but I was mainly on holiday and just snapping at what I came across out with the family, nothing planned and all off the cuff so I wasn't expecting much. Those are also just a few of what I shot but I chose to do those first for a variety of reasons. The St Pauls / Millenium Bridge one, just because the kid falling over makes me laugh (cruel bastard aren't I), The Sunset one because its hand held at 1/30th sec and it seemed to be sharp, similarly the reptile thing because it looked sharp even though it was shot through glass and in low light. And the Merekats because my daughter wanted me too. Mostly not my usual type of subjects either

Harsh crowd, eh Bicks :winkold: , love the first one, did you know the lad and father in the picture, if not how do you approach photographing people? Do you ask their permission first? "nd picture is cool , great subject. Third one, lovely colours, really like it. Forth one, good photo, just that the dark background, top right looks a bit odd for some reason. IMO great photos, I wish I had more of an eye for framing a photo, like yourself, sometimes I can o it, but it is like a bolt of inspiration when it happens, rarely!

did you know the lad and father in the picture, if not how do you approach photographing people?

Now I'm just guessing here, make it look like you're photographing the back ground, no-one is going to object.

Could be wrong of course.

didnt know em from Adam, I was just waiting on the bridge to see if enough people would clear the foreground for a brief second to have a go at the cheesy millenium bridge view up to st pauls thats been done by a million other photographers and as I was taking a test shot the lad just fell over - pure chance timing and total luck (the lad was ok he just laughed his tits off)

Know what you mean about the dark thing in the top right, unavoidable though as its a tree in the reptiles cage

framing as you call it is easily learnt imo, its just about knowing the various phtographic rules about compostion and thinking about them as you shoot. Photoshop also helps tidy things up with the crop tool

Seriously Bicks, that first one is great, one thing would try though is getting rid of the bird in the red, and seeing if that makes a better picture. The kid and the Dad look cool, especially as they are dressed like models!!

Seriously Bicks, that first one is great, one thing would try though is getting rid of the bird in the red, and seeing if that makes a better picture. The kid and the Dad look cool, especially as they are dressed like models!!

Yeah the bird in the red is a bit annoying, she unbalances the shot

Harsh crowd, eh Bicks :winkold: , love the first one, did you know the lad and father in the picture, if not how do you approach photographing people? Do you ask their permission first? "nd picture is cool , great subject. Third one, lovely colours, really like it. Forth one, good photo, just that the dark background, top right looks a bit odd for some reason. IMO great photos, I wish I had more of an eye for framing a photo, like yourself, sometimes I can o it, but it is like a bolt of inspiration when it happens, rarely!

Have a look at Bicks website for some of his pictures by the sea; there fantasticcccccccccccccccccccccccccccc :D

I thought exactly the same thing bvut thought it would sound gay if i said it :D

(oh and there's another lass i'd try to get rid of in that pic, can you guess which one?)

I thought exactly the same thing bvut thought it would sound gay if i said it :D

(oh and there's another lass i'd try to get rid of in that pic, can you guess which one?)

I hope Bicks doesnt mind but I took the liberty of a little cropping! All rights reserved, image remains the property of the Bickster.

Is this what you meant Grant?

bicksphotosmalllx4.jpg

Â