Photography?

trimandson

Southport sound like they need a bit of that global warming.

Here's a couple more of my pictures, first you'll probably say needs a focus point, but I like it and second one admittedly is of quite a famous lake, so not all that difficult to photograph, but still I like it, came out better than any of the people I know who've been there. So come on, how could these have been better?

nzfirstbit20050619008fo1.jpg

nzfirstbit20050620002mi7.jpg

(I'm aware having nice things to take pictures of makes it easier to take a good picture by the way)

Ok one more, quite like this one.

nzfirstbit20050209010lc2.jpg

Paddy

Nah I like the first one paddy doesnt need a focus poitnt at all because its more of a texture thing and it has a weird symmetry about it so it works, like I said rules are there to be broken

Middle on is just fab though a great reflection shot, superb really no other words for it

Bottom one isnt focused on the bottle, the pebbles at the front seem sharper than the bottle which is a shame

Trim, yeah I quite like that derelict building shot, I'm quite a fan of derelict buildings myself

I know its a cliché, but that lake photo, a nice picture, but wouldnt it have been interesting, in an obvious way, the put the camara down, pick up a small stone, and lob it as far as you could, as centrally as you could to the picture, and have one of the mirror image reflection, being broken up by lots of perfect concentric circles in the foreground?

• 4 weeks later...

Right.

Ive decided to buy a decent digital camera, i'm a total novice but really keen on learning and having the right equipment to do so,

I'd be looking to spend around £4-500

Any tips on what to get?

depends what you intend using it for. If its just snaps at family occaisions and a few holiday snaps etc, you are actually budgeting too much imo

No ive got a little kodak for that Bicks.

I'm talking about more exciting stuff, the sort of things posted in this thread, more 'arty' photos.

ok, next question is, compact or SLR?

More control with an SLR but the trade off is portability, SlR is ultimately expandable, compact not

But if you decide SLR, you have to remember if you get "the bug" you will want to upgrade, so you are buying into a system that will stay with you forever, the main choices here are simple - Nikon or Canon. You want to stay compact the choice is much wider

In that case from Nikon user - go with Canon, I say this because at the moment they have the edge in the lens department, trouble is you may want to save a bit more imo (not that much), don't go for the bottom end Canon, go for the second one up if that makes sense and get it with the kit lens as its not the best but it is a decent general purpose starting lens, you will replace it in time though

Might have been talking slight bollocks there, thought canon had brought out a lower model, it appears they havent yet (there was talk about it)

so the model you want is the canon 350d with kit lens, just my opinion btw, don't take it as gospel but I think you'll find that most would recommend canon above anything else at the moment and thats the entry level body. Its obviously not the best but it is very good anyway and is the closest to your budget

As for where to buy, dunno, avoid Jessops like the plague, best do a pricerunner search

Don't buy the Nikon D50, the Canon 350d is a far better camera for the same price

And don't buy anything from Jessops or Argos for that matter

a) because there are always cheaper alternatives and

B) both companies are shit

The Nikon D50 isnt as good as my Nikon D70 - the D70 is on a par with the 350d features wise, the D50 isnt

You will outgrow the Nikon D50 in under a year imo, its a waste of money

Â