Photography?

trimandson

Alrite guys.

I've just been given a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-T50 for my 21st birthday, how does it rate?

I know it'll be good for all my point-and-clicking needs but will it also give me sufficient scope for more professional looking shots?

Not been contributing to this much recently, too much other stuff going on unfortunately

BUT I think I've decided to stay with Nikon, the D2Xs being high on my priorities in the coming months, that and a few new lenses (fish Eye, Ultra wide, True Macro, long VR telephoto zoom...........) flashgun, Apple computer and I might buy a D200 as a handbag camera too ;)

Nice idea for a SP B23, the focus on the lens is spot on and thats fecking tricky in a mirror sometimes - good job dude! (shame its a Fuji though :mrgreen: - says a man whose just got his hands on A panasonic Lumix with tele adaptor)

Alrite guys.

I've just been given a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-T50 for my 21st birthday, how does it rate?

I know it'll be good for all my point-and-clicking needs but will it also give me sufficient scope for more professional looking shots?

Seems like a nice little camera mate. It doesn´t give you much options for variation as it has no manual setting but you can adjust some stuff in the program setting like white balance sensitivity and iso... it is well rated for it´s purpose though so.... on to my main point..

What´s more important is your eye... I think you can have fun with this camera and produce very appealing shot... as long as you´ve got an eye for it! Go crazy and see what you get... and post the results!

Not been contributing to this much recently, too much other stuff going on unfortunately

BUT I think I've decided to stay with Nikon, the D2Xs being high on my priorities in the coming months, that and a few new lenses (fish Eye, Ultra wide, True Macro, long VR telephoto zoom...........) flashgun, Apple computer and I might buy a D200 as a handbag camera too ;)

Nice idea for a SP B23, the focus on the lens is spot on and thats fecking tricky in a mirror sometimes - good job dude! (shame its a Fuji though :mrgreen: - says a man whose just got his hands on A panasonic Lumix with tele adaptor)

Shame it´s a fuji .. cheeky. My s2 pro is a very good camera thank you mr i´m buying loadsa new nikon stuff. git. I thought you´d fallen to canon anyway!

Well I'm an absolute novice BUT I am quite interested in spending the time in producing nice shots. However I'm more of the type to go out and take 100 shots on different settings and see what works rather than learning the theory first.

But whilst I'm still a novice I think I'd do well to use Sony's expert features rather than to assume I'll know better.

Shame it´s a fuji .. cheeky. My s2 pro is a very good camera thank you mr i´m buying loadsa new nikon stuff. git. I thought you´d fallen to canon anyway!

Well the thing is have you seen the fecking price of that top end canon! The difference between the two isnt bloody worth over 2 grand and as my main priority is a camera above 10MP because that is way to close to the filesize limit of the stock photography librarys the Nikons 12.4 MP is enough plus it means I can save on somethings with the lens I already have. Its possible to buy a D2Xs for 2.6k these days (and dropping) which for a newish model at 800 quid discount isnt a bad deal at all

Oh I've just found an Olympus mju 800 8mp handbag jobby too! (just going through my Dads Camera's - he is mad he's got way too many) The Lumix has a Leica lens!

Well the thing is have you seen the fecking price of that top end canon! The difference between the two isnt bloody worth over 2 grand and as my main priority is a camera above 10MP because that is way to close to the filesize limit of the stock photography librarys the Nikons 12.4 MP is enough plus it means I can save on somethings with the lens I already have. Its possible to buy a D2Xs for 2.6k these days (and dropping) which for a newish model at 800 quid discount isnt a bad deal at all

Hmm.. what nikon lenses have you got or has your dad got knocking around?! I was playing with an old manual nikon 50mm f2 last night, hence the photo i posted, and i´m on the hunt for some old, now cheap, lenses.. my mate got that one for about 20 quid!

But whilst I'm still a novice I think I'd do well to use Sony's expert features rather than to assume I'll know better.

Are we talking "Scene modes" here?

Never used them to be honest, not the best way to learn either imo

try auto and study the settings then try Aperture priority to learn about what the aperture does, then do the same with shutter priority to learn about shutter speeds (either one first tbh)

Hmm.. what nikon lenses have you got or has your dad got knocking around?! I was playing with an old manual nikon 50mm f2 last night, hence the photo i posted, and i´m on the hunt for some old, now cheap, lenses.. my mate got that one for about 20 quid!

I've only actually got the one Nikkor, my others are two tamrons nikon fits and neither is that impressive

I use an EOS 300d , which gives some good results without getting into the area of expensive cameras ..it's taken a battering over the years going up mountains and even had the rubber coating on the grip melt due to the heat in India , if I had an expensive camera I'd be scared to take it to half the places I've been so the 300 gets my thumbs up ....

few photo's that I'd appreciate any tips on for improving the way they were taken .. I usually take my pictures on medium ,fine setting for size purposes ..using the max res or RAW just eats up memory and makes images hard to email or work with ..

I was leaving a club in Moscow at 6 am and was able to stagger back and get my camera to take this one of sunrise over Red square , with no people about which I'm quite pleased with considering the shakes I had .. the original is far nicer but I reduced detail for web friendliness

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7272/img2965newfk4.jpg

it's shadows that cause the major moans for me with this photo , am I expecting too much ??

This was taken behind a glass case in Berlin Museum which I quite like as I couldn't use the flash due to reflection on the glass and didn't have a tripod so had to use slow shutter speed and pray I could keep the camera still

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/4104/sepiaxs6.jpg

this one was taken inside the Vatican , again no tripod which maybe I ought to purchase !!

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4201/img5309nx5.jpg

I was trying to get that sort of divine image with the light coming through but didn't quite pull it off , there is actually a cross visible to the naked eye through the middle window but couldn't get the angle \light right to reveal it ..any suggestions ??

and lastly for my free photo taking lesson :-)

Mt Everest taken through the plane window think I had a UV filter on in this shot , but the window was a bit tinted and I think spoilt the results a bit ..but any help for improving results on a photo taken through a window ??

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/4573/img4336cb3.jpg

thanks for any suggestions , criticisms etc etc

Â