Photography?

trimandson

What's your feeling about ISO set to AUTO on Nikon's Gareth?

Also depth of field for good shots - read a bit and some say short some say long - I suppose take loads of pics :-)

I really don't think ISO needs an auto setting, you'll know with only a small amount of experimentation how far you can push your ISO settings on your particular camera. On my D2Xs I daren't go above 400 really, picture deteriorates after that, On my D300 I can happily push it to 1600. And guess which is the cheaper camera, that highlights the advances they've made in just a few years

DOF all depends on subject matter tbh, its an individual shot decision.

I'm doing an online course at the moment and need to submit a homework image. The brief was 'find a simple object and use a white or black background, whichever contrasts most with the object you've chosen.....shoot in aperture priority and use exposure compensation'

These are my best shots so far but I can't decide which to upload. I think Mario is the better shot but I found black backgrounds quite easy. The white background I found loads harder so pleased with my achievement with the headphones. Which do you all think?

5574656508_a8a048dc16_z.jpg

5571046659_c1faca9ba2_z.jpg

Headphones are better, Mario looks like he could be entirely drawn in PS, thats actually a compliment and you have everything spot on inc the lighting but it's just it's too good and due to the subject being a plastic model it looks possible that it isn't a photo at all (I know it is btw)

Bicks, have a look at my Iphone album on flickr, want to do a whole summer with my Iphone and have already started. Just want some suggestions on how to get the best possibly picture quality and what I can do to improve things.

• 2 weeks later...
I keep meaning to give HDR a proper go but I see so many awful results that look totally false I give up on the idea

My first attempt at a bit of HDR:

risso20110413a.jpg

Tried not to overdo it but it's so tempting to just ramp all the settings up to maximum!

Its quite good simply because it doesn't look HDRish at all

Compositionally though the centrally placed horizon is what I'm not sure about. Either a lower of higher perspective would have been better imo

Its quite good simply because it doesn't look HDRish at all

Compositionally though the centrally placed horizon is what I'm not sure about. Either a lower of higher perspective would have been better imo

Yes agreed, normally I'd stick to the rule of thirds, but I was concentrating on all the bracketing and exposure etc, so forgot all about that! Then I tried cropping it, but it didn't look so good. I think a lower perspective would have worked best.

HDR is fine until you get into the ridiculous 10-15 stops scenario. I have seen some decent images using that sort of range but I always find the key to using HDR is a little bit more subtlety.

My camera can only bracket three shots at a time, so if I want more I have to quickly manually alter the exposure after the first three and hope that things haven't moved to much!

Â