Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely you can see why people have doubts Wiggy? Im not totally against this signing but i certainly have my doubts about it. Could go tits up very quickly

I assume your talking about his shoulder mate?

Im sure the medical staff would push him to his limits to see if there was any lasting damage, also it the same as signing a £20m player who then does his crutiate within 10 minutes of his debut then never plays again, shit happens mate. Im sure he hasnt turned shite over night.

Purely out of interest, how much did City pay for Given?

£7m according to Wiki mate.

Cheers.

So not alot more than we are going to pay for him. If we had signed him at that point, for that money, it would have been brilliant business. Not looking quite as good business now though

Ability-wise I believe Given is the best possible GK we can attract at the moment. I also believe and hope his injuries will not be such a huge problem, I'd expect another Friedel-like effect - very solid for a couple of years, albeit unspectacular.

However, if the wages are indeed around 60K per week, that's definitely overpaying. I don't see how we're going to have a lower wage bill if we're replacing the left players' wages with the same or more expensive.

Purely out of interest, how much did City pay for Given?

£7m according to Wiki mate.

Cheers.

So not alot more than we are going to pay for him. If we had signed him at that point, for that money, it would have been brilliant business. Not looking quite as good business now though

how can 50% of that transfer fee at 3.5m not seem like good business?

Ability-wise I believe Given is the best possible GK we can attract at the moment. I also believe and hope his injuries will not be such a huge problem, I'd expect another Friedel-like effect - very solid for a couple of years, albeit unspectacular.

However, if the wages are indeed around 60K per week, that's definitely overpaying. I don't see how we're going to have a lower wage bill if we're replacing the left players' wages with the same or more expensive.

Given isn't a Friedel type.

Given is a spectacular 'keeper, makes stunning saves. Just hope his reflexes haven't diminished.

100% agree

people are too quick to write him off without offering other realistic realistic candidates, out of given, westwood and al habsi id take given every time

i also agree with the other poster who said our medical team know what they doing when it comes to testing his shoulder, im sure they'll be looking for weaknesses and when they dont find one IMO we should put it to bed

Given isn't a Friedel type.

Given is a spectacular 'keeper, makes stunning saves. Just hope his reflexes haven't diminished.

Wasn't talking about spectacular saves, but spectacular impact.

I honestly think that Given would be one of the stars in our team, if we got him.

Me too mate, i think people are forgetting that he is being kept out of the Man City team by the best keeper in the league.

I say again, imo Given would still command the #1 spot in any team in the league apart from Liverpool, Man City & Chelsea.

It's crazy for people to be against this signing!

I honestly think that Given would be one of the stars in our team, if we got him.

Me too mate, i think people are forgetting that he is being kept out of the Man City team by the best keeper in the league.

I say again, imo Given would still command the #1 spot in any team in the league apart from Liverpool, Man City & Chelsea.

Reina?

Reina?

:winkold:

Man city fans are really becoming more and more arrogant..some idiot commented on shay given joining us like this:

Very very sad that a talent like him is going to end up at the likes of villa. He and his talents deserve far more than that graveyard of football mediocrity and half breeds. Hopefully a half decent club/team will make a last ditch bid for him to save him this humiliation.

I think iam starting to dislike them more than liverplop and small heath