Gym Routine

olboydave

Jeez they are impressive numbers for that bodyweight. Particularly that squat. You must be built like an NFL running back.

They are pretty much spot on for 90kg tbh, i can bench about 130 on a good day at 88kg currently.

Yes that's what I said too, it's my first one comp so it's more me trying it out to see if I want to go at it to hit even higher numbers.

For now I'm just going for the experience. I'm 34 & got into it about 4 years ago, so never to late.

• Like 1

I can't help feeling that I'm missing out on the extra 10% by working out on my own. Having said that, it's still early days in getting back to me previous levels so I perhaps don't quite need the help yet.

I personally prefer lifting alone, I kind I can stay in the zone more. But we meet up to lift couple times a month

Jeez they are impressive numbers for that bodyweight. Particularly that squat. You must be built like an NFL running back.

They are pretty much spot on for 90kg tbh, i can bench about 130 on a good day at 88kg currently.
Yes that's what I said too, it's my first one comp so it's more me trying it out to see if I want to go at it to hit even higher numbers.

For now I'm just going for the experience. I'm 34 & got into it about 4 years ago, so never to late.

Theres always more in the tank mate esp on the compund lifts, just enjoy yourself doing it

I can't help feeling that I'm missing out on the extra 10% by working out on my own. Having said that, it's still early days in getting back to me previous levels so I perhaps don't quite need the help yet.

I find training alone with my trusted ipod is all i need, some caffiene pre-wo and good tunes and im good to go

Theres always more in the tank mate esp on the compund lifts, just enjoy yourself doing it

I find training alone with my trusted ipod is all i need, some caffiene pre-wo and good tunes and im good to go

Fully agree with you, I always have coffee with a splash of double cream as I like my fats high vs carbs moderate. I bought one of the new iPods and crushed it in my pocket after a week deadlifting...my girl bought me another with "gggggrrrrr hulk smash" engraved on the back....obviously the iPod was green hahaha

Fully agree with you, I always have coffee with a splash of double cream as I like my fats high vs carbs moderate. I bought one of the new iPods and crushed it in my pocket after a week deadlifting...my girl bought me another with "gggggrrrrr hulk smash" engraved on the back....obviously the iPod was green hahaha
Haha, cant be lifting without an ipod though so fair play to her

Right, I'm sure this has been asked a bunch of times throughout the thread so I hope you can forgive me for not trawling through 149 pages to find out, but I'm considering joining a gym and doing some weight work. Any advice? I genuinely don't really know where to begin so any advice like what sort of gym to go for, how many times a week, good gym etiquette, any good beginner routines or anything you think could help would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to tone up and build a bit, but nothing too crazy.

I'm 5'11, average weight but I could lose a few pounds. I figure that'll go with the weights and maybe 20 minutes of cardio two or three times a week. I've improved my diet recently so I'm eating a lot of chicken, some brown rice or couscous and veg, but any help with nutrition is also welcome. I'd also be interested how you guys got into it and how you started off, the best advice you got and what sort of things helped you the most.

Cheers in advance, fellas.

Edited by Ginko

Right, I'm sure this has been asked a bunch of times throughout the thread so I hope you can forgive me for not trawling through 149 pages to find out, but I'm considering joining a gym and doing some weight work. Any advice? I genuinely don't really know where to begin so any advice like what sort of gym to go for, how many times a week, good gym etiquette, any good beginner routines or anything you think could help would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to tone up and build a bit, but nothing too crazy.

I'm 5'11, average weight but I could lose a few pounds. I figure that'll go with the weights and maybe 20 minutes of cardio two or three times a week. I've improved my diet recently so I'm eating a lot of chicken, some brown rice or couscous and veg, but any help with nutrition is also welcome. I'd also be interested how you guys got into it and how you started off, the best advice you got and what sort of things helped you the most.

Free weights > machines. So find a gym with a decent selection of free weights and you should be ok.

Find a good Beginner's Routine and stick to it. "Beginners" often doesn't mean beginners because you don't know anything. They're designed to make the most of "newbie gains" (people generally make lots of progress early on) so they're a good place to start.

Here are some good ones, I'd suggest maybe finding one you're interested in and post it here and let people have a look. There's a lot on that site but they're not all great. I'd suggest either a full body workout or a basic split, probably around 3 days a week when you start.

Best advice I can give is do some reading. Take a couple of hours to read some basic articles on workouts, diet, body composition etc. Then decide your goals (losing fat requires a different approach, dietwise, to adding muscle) and then workout how you're going to approach it.

It sounds a bit complicated, but basically, if you want your workouts to be effective, it's worth putting in a bit of time at the start to work out exactly how it all works and how you should approach things. It sounds a bit patronising, but there is so much to know. If you just turn up to a gym and do what feels right then you'll be getting very little benefit from it.

I'd suggest this article as a good place to start regarding diet. That site in general has loads of good articles on workouts and diets. I learnt more in 3 hours of reading stuff on that site about gym and diet then I did in my previous 27 years of life!

How did I get into it? I was 27 and fat (ish). I'd spent 10 years thinking "I'd love to be in good shape" but doing very little about it apart from the odd diet or exercise fad that would give me some short term results but nothing long term.

So I just realised that I'm heading towards 30 and I'm out of shape, it's now or never. Joined a gym, joined that website I linked (the community there is pretty decent if you want some more advice, although sometimes they're more argumentative than a Carles Gil thread), and got on with it.

2 years later I'm still not close to how I'd like to look! But I'm a hell of a lot better off than I was back then.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

And as Stevo has said countless times in here before aswell, you lose weight in the kitchen, not in the gym.  Although having said that, the gym can help your metabolism and will make plenty of weight 'look' better by turning some fat into muscle**, but it won't for example turn a belly into a 6 pack (because a 6 pack is a complete lack of fat).  So it goes back to what it is you want to get at the end.

Personally I would recommend the Stronglifts 5x5 programme as a very effective beginner exercise and it's easy to progress that up to the next one.  You see and feel improvements pretty quickly and you get to see the benefits in the form of higher kg numbers in your lifts.  If you're lifting properly and you're lifting heavier then quite simply you're getting stronger.

Stevo is right though.  Do some reading and check out youtube for form and technique.  It is vital, particularly on compound lifts (things like deadlift, squat, bench press, overhead, pendlay row), to do them properly or risk injury.

The other important thing is to enjoy it because you're far more likely to stick at it when you're enjoying it.

** As the picture shows, you might end up just as heavy with muscle but slimmer in appearance, which is why you must be careful not to completely mix a target of 'weight loss' with one of weights or getting stronger.  It's possible to do both together as long as you know what you're at.

• Like 1

Free weights > machines. So find a gym with a decent selection of free weights and you should be ok.

Find a good Beginner's Routine and stick to it. "Beginners" often doesn't mean beginners because you don't know anything. They're designed to make the most of "newbie gains" (people generally make lots of progress early on) so they're a good place to start.

Here are some good ones, I'd suggest maybe finding one you're interested in and post it here and let people have a look. There's a lot on that site but they're not all great. I'd suggest either a full body workout or a basic split, probably around 3 days a week when you start.

Best advice I can give is do some reading. Take a couple of hours to read some basic articles on workouts, diet, body composition etc. Then decide your goals (losing fat requires a different approach, dietwise, to adding muscle) and then workout how you're going to approach it.

It sounds a bit complicated, but basically, if you want your workouts to be effective, it's worth putting in a bit of time at the start to work out exactly how it all works and how you should approach things. It sounds a bit patronising, but there is so much to know. If you just turn up to a gym and do what feels right then you'll be getting very little benefit from it.

I'd suggest this article as a good place to start regarding diet. That site in general has loads of good articles on workouts and diets. I learnt more in 3 hours of reading stuff on that site about gym and diet then I did in my previous 27 years of life!

How did I get into it? I was 27 and fat (ish). I'd spent 10 years thinking "I'd love to be in good shape" but doing very little about it apart from the odd diet or exercise fad that would give me some short term results but nothing long term.

So I just realised that I'm heading towards 30 and I'm out of shape, it's now or never. Joined a gym, joined that website I linked (the community there is pretty decent if you want some more advice, although sometimes they're more argumentative than a Carles Gil thread), and got on with it.

2 years later I'm still not close to how I'd like to look! But I'm a hell of a lot better off than I was back then.

Why are free weights better than machines? You can stimulate just as much muscle growth from machines

Because free weights are engaging a lot of peripheral muscles to do with keeping you balanced whereas resistance machines by and large remove that concern. You are building up very specific muscles on a resistance machine and almost ignoring those that immediately surround them, which if anything in the real world could risk injury.

Because free weights are engaging a lot of peripheral muscles to do with keeping you balanced whereas resistance machines by and large remove that concern. You are building up very specific muscles on a resistance machine and almost ignoring those that immediately surround them, which if anything in the real world could risk injury.

But to stimulate muscle growth of a specific muscle they are just as good, a good routine is a mix of both imo.

I would start with a Push Pull Legs routine, as for diet it depends what your goal is, feel free to PM me and ill write you a basic plan if you like.

• Like 1

Well yes, as isolations they are good, but isolations by definition are just that.  Like people who squat in a smyth machine for example.  They have no idea the extra effort required to actually stand up on your own two feet and balance a heavy bar on your shoulders, and they're missing out on a huge amount of benefit.

I'd agree that it's somewhat of a myth that free weights are always better than machines, certainly if the focus is building muscle. A good example is the bench press vs the chest press machine. To put it in simple terms, quite often with free weights, certain muscles (synergists) take over or take focus away from the agonist or the muscle you are primarily targeting (e.g., anterior deltoids and triceps reduce pec activation with the bench). A well-designed machine keeps the focus on the target muscle and importantly, maintains tension throughout the entire movement. I've been using the Hammer Strength press quite a lot lately (in addition to BB and DB benching) and noticed a real difference. Hack squats and a couple of rowing machines are favourites of mine as well. All of that said, free weights make up the bulk of my training and I would say that they're generally preferable for the majority of healthy, young-youngish beginners.

Edited by JB
  • Like 1

So I'm being too hard on the resistance machine then?  I honestly just saw them as something you used if you had an injury and needed to avoid the more complete exercise.

Â