Gym Routine

olboydave

Been doing 2 a days for 3 weeks 5 days a week and running Saturday mornings. My diet is boringly healthy for the last 4 weeks to "jump start" my body since I have some slight hormone issues aka I'm a woman. The very restrictive diet in only for 2 more weeks. I can do that. Then I can have fruit again. I really thought the 2 a days would make me feel stronger, maybe even a little buff. But I actually I just feel DEAD! Every day. I laugh at how I swear I've gotten no better at it. But people insist they see a difference. Not doing a measurement for another 2 weeks either, so we shall see.

The odd part is that I really could do every work out possible without complaint but I HATE meal prep. Even being healthy wouldn't be so bad if someone else could just prepare it for me. I'm busy and it's boring.

That is all.

Does anyone recommend any good HIIT routines?  Currently just killing myself on the treadmill!

Do you have the opportunity to run outside?

I've done "40-20s" before. And they're killer.

Basically you run 100 metres in 20 seconds. Then you have 40 seconds to get back to where you started. And repeat.

First couple are pretty easy but it soon get's really tough.

Otherwise, try hopping on an exercise bike and just doing a minute on level 5, then a minute on 6, then a minute on 7 etc for 12 minutes (ish)

I don't think it's TECHNICALLY HIIT, but it's a short session that will kill you :D

If your gym does any spin classes they might be worth a go as well. Obviously they tend to be a bit longer though.

• Like 2

Alright lads, joined the gym again the weekend. I'm not big by any means but I'm looking to try and bulk up a bit. The day that always gets me is back/bi's which I did today. Everytime I do a back exercise I can never feel my back muscles working. My technique is fine though, I'm not sure how I'm getting a Lat pulldown wrong? I can feel it in my bi's more than anything. Today my routine was...

Machine row (not sure of correct name)

Seated low row

One arm dumbbell row

Wide grip lat pulldown

I don't want to attempt bent over barbell row just yet as I fear for doing it wrong and doing my back in aha.

Alright lads, joined the gym again the weekend. I'm not big by any means but I'm looking to try and bulk up a bit. The day that always gets me is back/bi's which I did today. Everytime I do a back exercise I can never feel my back muscles working. My technique is fine though, I'm not sure how I'm getting a Lat pulldown wrong? I can feel it in my bi's more than anything. Today my routine was...

Seated low row

One arm dumbbell row

Wide grip lat pulldown

I don't want to attempt bent over barbell row just yet as I fear for doing it wrong and doing my back in aha.

lat pulldown:

Use an overhand grip and don't use your thumbs.

I.e. instead of gripping it like a tennis racket, put your thumb on top of the bar with the rest of your fingers. That way your arms are acting more as a hook than actually gripping. This should relax the reliance on your biceps.

Also, make sure you're not leaning back too much or not enough. Try holding at the bottom of the exercise for a second, and focus on holding the weight there with your back, not your arms.

Mind muscle connection is important. Sounds like bollocks but it makes a difference. Pull the weight with your back, not your arms.

This is something I struggled with too. The above helped a lot.

Also, if an exercise isnt working, then its unlikely your technique is "fine" ;)

• Like 1

Seated low row

One arm dumbbell row

Wide grip lat pulldown

lat pulldown:

Use an overhand grip and don't use your thumbs.

I.e. instead of gripping it like a tennis racket, put your thumb on top of the bar with the rest of your fingers. That way your arms are acting more as a hook than actually gripping. This should relax the reliance on your biceps.

Also, make sure you're not leaning back too much or not enough. Try holding at the bottom of the exercise for a second, and focus on holding the weight there with your back, not your arms.

Mind muscle connection is important. Sounds like bollocks but it makes a difference. Pull the weight with your back, not your arms.

This is something I struggled with too. The above helped a lot.

Also, if an exercise isnt working, then its unlikely your technique is "fine" ;)

Thanks man. 

Getting a bit of a pouch on my belly but can't be arsed to do anything about it. Doesn't help when you have exams soon, so I'm just sitting down mainly doing work eating all damn day.

Start here.

• Like 3

Thinking of going gym in the summer. Any beginners tips?

go online and find a proven routine. Something basic and for beginners (that's not a put down, beginner routines are there to maximise the big gains that can be obtained when you're starting out) and stick to it.

Don't go for any fad workouts, and don't try to make it up yourself.

Keep it simple and keep your discipline and you'll reap the rewards.

• Like 1

Â