Manager search "criteria"...statement on OS.

steaknchips

Do you share the club's stance that the manager needs to be proven in the Premier League?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Do you share the club's stance that the manager needs to be proven in the Premier League?

• No, I disagree the manager does not necessarily need PL experience
    • Yes, I agree, the Manager needs to be proven in the PL

Its the 2nd time that the board have mentioned that they want a proven Premiership experienced manager. So I assume its something they hold dear to their heart.

But the responses on this thread have been encouraging and insightful. With over 90% of fans willing to accept a manager that will be new to the Premiership. It kinda opens doors for the board to investigate this area further and maybe widen their search to the lower leagues and overseas market..

My creteria

Relative success at their club, in their league/division

Employs a passing game with an emphasis on scoring rather than not conceding.

A younger manager would be better though not vital; for long term stability.

Must be willing to work within the club ethos of developing youngsters; previous experience of this and demonstrable success would be a big advantage over other candidates.

Prem experience preferred but not vital.

I think that about covers it. I voted NO.

My creteria

Must be willing to work within the club ethos of developing youngsters; previous experience of this and demonstrable success would be a big advantage over other candidates.

Besides age, that's basically Houllier. Bring him back Randy!

My creteria

Besides age, that's basically Houllier. Bring him back Randy!

Didn't play attacking as such, but importantly, as you said, he is too old.

I would much rather we took a risk on someone who could turn out to be fantastic rather than sign someone who has proven themselves average at best.

Spot on, that is what I was trying to get at in my post. Well put!

NO, I think the club statement is also disingenuous as I'm lead to believe that at least two managers on the shortlist had no PL experience at all.

Nothing is ever as black & white as it seems

Do you think there really was a shortlist?

The speed with which they have pounced on AM makes me suspect its done and dusted and he is the only candidate in the running. I know I shouldn't believe the press but I didn't belive we would ever be in for AM...

I think you'll find the shortlist was exhausted well before McLeish became available. Couldn't reach agreement with any of them. They may still have been working on the odd one but in forlorn hope more than anything.

I voted No.

I don't care where they come from so long as they have had a good level of success and would fit into the Villa ethos.

If they are coming from a foreign league though, they should be able to speak a decent level of english as we've all seen how Ramos/Capello turned out.

tbh I think the proven premier league experience thing is just another PR cock up, they've been saying it because they think it is a) what we as fans want to hear and B) because it's the right thing to say from an image P.O.V. but they may not neccesarily believe it themselves

NO, I think the club statement is also disingenuous as I'm lead to believe that at least two managers on the shortlist had no PL experience at all.

Nothing is ever as black & white as it seems

Do you think there really was a shortlist?

The speed with which they have pounced on AM makes me suspect its done and dusted and he is the only candidate in the running. I know I shouldn't believe the press but I didn't belive we would ever be in for AM...

I think you'll find the shortlist was exhausted well before McLeish became available. Couldn't reach agreement with any of them. They may still have been working on the odd one but in forlorn hope more than anything.

Cheers for the reply. Ok, lets take the man who seems to be third favourite with the fans after Ancelotti and Moyes - Rijkaard. Do you think we ever made contact? I think the main problem with AM isn't his recent past but we all see these more glamorous names and think 'I'd have a piece of that at VP' and so naturally feel we're selling ourselves short so I'd love to know who was under consideration and who they actually succeeded in talking to.

I would much rather we took a risk on someone who could turn out to be fantastic rather than sign someone who has proven themselves average at best.

Spot on, that is what I was trying to get at in my post. Well put!

Something along the lines of what I'm thinking too. We won't attract the best around, so see if we can uncover a gem, someone who has shown promise at a reasonably good level, if not the top, with youth on their side. English speaking is important.

Cheers for the reply. Ok, lets take the man who seems to be third favourite with the fans after Ancelotti and Moyes - Rijkaard. Do you think we ever made contact? I think the main problem with AM isn't his recent past but we all see these more glamorous names and think 'I'd have a piece of that at VP' and so naturally feel we're selling ourselves short so I'd love to know who was under consideration and who they actually succeeded in talking to.

Can't say for sure, I'm just piecing things together from bits heard from various people here and there and mostly from stuff in the media.

My guess on that is that we didn't but I really wouldn't know for sure

Can't say for sure, I'm just piecing things together from bits heard from various people here and there and mostly from stuff in the media.

My guess on that is that we didn't but I really wouldn't know for sure

That's my guess too. :? :?

Surely managing is the same as playing, you wouldn't just buy players with premiership experience. Basically what they are saying if hypothetically Messi became available to Villa we wouldn't buy him because of this with him having no premier experience.

Proven in the Prem. So I assume that means even if you have proven yourself a failure as AM ?

Should be worded better to - proven to be competative in the Prem or Proven not to be a failure in the Prem, maybe proven not have gotten a Prem club relegated in the last ooh month or so.

Anyways I voted no, not necessary at all. What next ? We can only buy players 'proven in the Prem' ? We would turn down the new Messi because he hasn't been proven in the Prem ?

It's all a load of codshit really and should be replaced with - We will appoint anyone who promises to work with tuppence halfpenny and keep us up.

Are those who are berating Lerner and Faulkner for having no football experience the same ones who are berating them for preferring a manager with PL experience?

Perhaps the board are aware of their own deficiencies and feel it would be too risky to appoint a manager with no PL experience as that would leave the entire senior executive level having no PL experience?

Are those who are berating Lerner and Faulkner for having no football experience the same ones who are berating them for preferring a manager with PL experience?

Perhaps the board are aware of their own deficiencies and feel it would be too risky to appoint a manager with no PL experience as that would leave the entire senior executive level having no PL experience?

But wouldnt Champions League Experience be sufficient? Surely if the statement on the OS read "Proven CL Experience" is part of the criteria it would send out a clearer message as to where the board are aiming for us to get?

Wouldnt a manager that has prior knowledge of whats required to buildng a team/squad to enter and compete in the CL be enough?(Especially knowing full well that CL teams include that of Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United.)

Then you would think that Lerner as a businessman would start with replacing Faulkner. He kept a lot of existing staff at VP but got rid of Steve Stride. It's looking like a carry on film at the moment.

Â