The classical music thread

mjmooney

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Needed to focus today at work so plugged in the old headphones and smashed some Schubert and Tchaikovsky down. Man that ending to the 1812 Overture always gets me pumped up.

Just now, theunderstudy said:

Needed to focus today at work so plugged in the old headphones and smashed some Schubert and Tchaikovsky down. 

Just this minute playing the Schubert octet, D803. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Just this minute playing the Schubert octet, D803. 

Unfinished Symphony was on the menu for me.... just on the Firebird Suite by Stravinsky currently which I adore.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I like to play the Beethoven symphony cycle (preferably by the same orchestra and conductor) through, over a few days. Recently did it with the John Eliot Gardiner recordings. 

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

I like to cycle through the Mahler symphonies at work when I'm in focus mode. Was back to 1 and 2 today 

One of the greatest symphonists! I think I am playing Mahler 2 later this season with the Seattle Symphony.

• Like 2

Mahler's 2nd is an absolutely glorious piece of music. I've seen all of his symphonies played live. 3rd is a beast apparently to play 

• Like 1

Actually, what is it about 5th symphonies? So many composers really hit their stride and took things up a couple of gears with their 5th. 

Beethoven, Mahler, Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich - all amazing 5ths. 

And then there's 9ths... 

Mahler's 3rd was the first Mahler symphony I heard live. In Birmingham, at Town Hall and with a choir. That finale is superb. I agree about the 5th Symphony thing. Not as many bad 5ths. Shostakovich's 5th and 7th are my two favourites of his 

Â