Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

Ive had a change of heart - if only Gerard could do the same - but I think we should keep GH and GMac.

I think we all get too caught up in the dream of what we would hope to see Villa doing (Champions League) and what the reality is (5-7th being a good season). When you start to set your heart on an unreachable goal you only set yourself up for disappointment and therefore end up making stupid knee-jerk decisions to try and fix something that cannot be fixed. So the question changes from which manager do I think can take us to that 5th spot, as a realistic next step, and I actually think GH can do it - stability within a club is a very positive thing and its something we havent had a Villa for a long time (in fact I dont think we have ever had it in the modern era), now this could be an argument for getting rid of GH now, if physically hes not capable of giving us 5 or 6 years then maybe he should go. But I think we should give GH the chance, Im intrigued as to who he brings in this close-season, Im much more excited by the transfer possibilities that GH has lined up than I ever was under MON, I think he actually has a plan. More controversially I also think we are beginning to see a much more entertaining style of football being played - yes there have been patches where we looked clueless but I reckon we have been slowly transitioning towards a better stuff, our passing has certainly improved and we have the nucleus of a decent team already.

Top post. Continuity is what we need. Chopping and changing every five minutes does more harm than good. The only reason id want Ged to leave would be if he himself said he couldnt carry on.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we all get too caught up in the dream of what we would hope to see Villa doing (Champions League) and what the reality is (5-7th being a good season). When you start to set your heart on an unreachable goal you only set yourself up for disappointment and therefore end up making stupid knee-jerk decisions to try and fix something that cannot be fixed

We are not the sty dwellers but the mighty Villans!

What was in Randy's five year plan? To finish 9th? I didn't think so?

Spuds and Everton have both acheived CL spots and have not spent as much money as us. Why not dream! With a good manager we could achieve top 4 and once you are in it?

I think we all get too caught up in the dream of what we would hope to see Villa doing (Champions League) and what the reality is (5-7th being a good season). When you start to set your heart on an unreachable goal you only set yourself up for disappointment and therefore end up making stupid knee-jerk decisions to try and fix something that cannot be fixed

Spuds and Everton have both acheived CL spots and have not spent as much money as us. Why not dream! With a good manager we could achieve top 4 and once you are in it?

The 5 year plan was going well, then City came along and basically purchased 4th place. Spurs have a good manager and made some great buys (I don't know where they get all their money from).

At this moment in time I'll be happy to just not decline back to a mid-table side. 5th-8th is our level at the moment.

A bit pedantic i know, but Everton didnt actually make it in to the CL. :winkold:

I actually think that Houllier will come out and say he isn't returning. His wife will obviously want him to think about his health and I believe he'll make the right choice. He won't force Randy to make the choice.

That said, I think he will stay on in some capacity (maybe sort out our scouting network and use some of his contacts), but he won't be in the dugout come August.

I see the current situation, with GH in the background - keeping in touch by phone - while GMAC runs the first team continuing until the autumn.

I really think beyond putting cash in- Randy doesn't want\has no time for hands on involvement.

Spurs have a good manager and made some great buys (I don't know where they get all their money from).

Well exactly, they have a good manager! I have very little doubt that with our current squad and 'Arry in charge we wouldn't have diced with relegation like we had? (We also won't have brought Bent on the down side)?

A 'good' manager makes all the difference and when we get one I will be truly excited rather than the deflated feeling I get at the thought of Houllier returning!

DelboyVilla wrote:

Quote:

A bit pedantic i know, but Everton didnt actually make it in to the CL.

Pedantic? Yes! OK then top 4.

Well he got West Ham relegated before, a team which included the likes of Joe Cole, Frank Lampard, David James, Jermain Defoe etc etc.

I think he has moved on since then and is a much better manager now? Anyway if we got in 'Arry I for one would be looking forward to the new season. Better than waiting for the blithering french crock to have us in the bottom 3 at Christmas and run off with his tail between his legs!

I think he has moved on since then and is a much better manager now? Anyway if we got in 'Arry I for one would be looking forward to the new season. Better than waiting for the blithering french crock to have us in the bottom 3 at Christmas and run off with his tail between his legs!

There have been better manager than Redknapp who have gone into a job and everythings gone tits up. Just because hes doing well at Spurs, doesnt mean he could replicate that here.

There have been better manager than Redknapp who have gone into a job and everythings gone tits up. Just because hes doing well at Spurs, doesnt mean he could replicate that here.

Well we will probably never find that one out?

what will be interesting with spurs is what the impact of failing to qualify for the CL next year will do to their squad - does that make them a selling team now.... if so, i can see them falling right back into the pack next season...

someone spoke about continuity a few posts back.... that is one thing i take my hat off to randy and team for... he seems to be crystal clear that building a successful team takes time and he has not made any knee jerk reactions with regards to either MON or Ged. IMHO, he has been proven right so far.... the team is moving in the right direction now, and I suspect by the start of the season, we will have a much deeper squad than we have had at any time in the last five years.... if only he could somehow figure out how to keep ash, all would be good in the world again...

Better than waiting for the blithering french crock to have us in the bottom 3 at Christmas and run off with his tail between his legs!

not a hope

should ged stay on there's going to be a LOT of humble pie being eaten this coming season by some posters on here

although they'll still whinge about something

DelboyVilla wrote:

Better than waiting for the blithering french crock to have us in the bottom 3 at Christmas and run off with his tail between his legs!

not a hope

should ged stay on there's going to be a LOT of humble pie being eaten this coming season by some posters on here

I really hope so but all those Houllier lovers will have egg on their faces eh? :lol:

I really hope so but all those Houllier lovers will have egg on their faces eh? :lol:

dont think theres any chance of that at all

we're playing much better football, if we get a new defence in who are comfortable with the ball at their feet we'll be a cracking team next season. definitely up there pushing for 5th

How you mean P3te? Dont understand...

the people saying we'll be in the bottom 3, or houllier will have us fighting relegation again

not gonna happen

i hope ged stays purely because he'll show that this season was a transitionary one hampered by an incredible amount of injuries. like it or not, this season was the season we'd have had post mon whenever he left, regardless of who replaced him

we're playing much better football, if we get a new defence in who are comfortable with the ball at their feet we'll be a cracking team next season. definitely up there pushing for 5th

spot on... if we can keep our players over the summer...

spot on... if we can keep our players over the summer...

to be honest, of the ones mooted to be leaving only downing is essential to next season imo. ash needs to go, for his sake and for our sake. for the money we can get for him based on his reputation we should be able to bring in someone who can perform above the level as has been the past 2 years, even if he's not as good a player on paper