Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

edit - @shillz

...But then potentially 'retiring' a month into the season? It's a load of shit. Don't want to count my chickens etc but if this is true, then my finger is firmly pointing at Randy

I agree that he does need to go.

The games against Liverpool and Arsenal were great days out etc, but had they been played earlier in the season then the outcome may have been far different.

I'm particularly concerned that Lerner is unable to maintain any level of objectivity in light of his friendship with Houllier.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we'd conceded a goal yesterday we'd have finished 15th. The 9th thing is rather less telling that it seems.

Shite season, looking increasignly like next season will be presided over by the same manager.

Papering over the cracks the 9th league placement is.

Hopefully we have a chairman and board which can see through it and come to the conclusion that overall we have had a piss poor season strewn with PR gaffes on behalf of the manager and a cup competition which got treated with complete and utter discontempt.

If we'd conceded a goal yesterday we'd have finished 15th. The 9th thing is rather less telling that it seems.

Shite season, looking increasignly like next season will be presided over by the same manager.

Exactly.

You have to judge the season as a whole, and the performance of the manager coupled with the risk of him dropping down dead at Bodymoor, is not the way forward.

edit - @shillz

...But then potentially 'retiring' a month into the season? It's a load of shit. Don't want to count my chickens etc but if this is true, then my finger is firmly pointing at Randy

I agree that he does need to go.

The games against Liverpool and Arsenal were great days out etc, but had they been played earlier in the season then the outcome may have been far different.

I'm particularly concerned that Lerner is unable to maintain any level of objectivity in light of his friendship with Houllier.

I can remember far more devastating days out when GH was actually on the touchline. We have been abysmal all season, lets not forget this, despite our amazing and unlikely final league position. People have been (rightly or wrongly) calling for his head for many many months, and this was before his health issues came to light. He's simply not a viable long term option, and any decision to keep him on as manager would be ludicrous.

Also, if Randy's intention is to increase attendances and improve revenue, from that perspective - it would be the wrong move too.

Agree.

The home game to Wigan, whilst not the worst result of the season, was just a horrible day out. The atmosphere was so tense; had you told me at the end of that game that the pair of them would be in charge next season, I'd have laughed at you.

Depends if you want to be negative or not.

Had we conceeded a last minute goal yesterday and finished 15th, it could easily be said that finishing 15th was less telling than it seems as we were only a minute away from finishing 9th.

At the end of the day, we ddn't conceed a last minute goal and we did finish 9th.

We may have finished 9th, but i've been cacking it since mid October, it's not been an enjoyable season and no late season flurry is going to make me look back on the past 10 months fondly.

Exactly.

You have to judge the season as a whole, and the performance of the manager coupled with the risk of him dropping down dead at Bodymoor, is not the way forward.

Such a stupid point. That is like saying we had lost 2 more games we could have gone down, if we had won 2 more we would be in Europe etc.

Over the course of a season, you get what you deserve. We finished 9th because we were the 9th best side in the league.

We had a shit start but a decent enough finish. It says nothing for the teams around us that they couldn't take advance of what was going on here

I don't think this season especially that it's that simple as saying 'we finished 9th so we're the 9th best'. It was far too tight for that and that is damning in itself.

But hey, everyone else can be overjoyed with the 9th if you like, no skin off my nose.

I thought the final league table was judging the season as a whole? Or does that only count if the league isnt tighter than a knats knacker??

Gnat's Knacker :winkold:

In an ordanary season i would agree, but taking the season as an whole, and considering the managers performance, his lack of good PR, his ability to piss everyone off, and the fact he turned a top six team into a relegation candidate, tells me he has to go.

WHat happens if we start next season badly (because it wont take long next term for the fans to turn on him) and his health then again suffers?

We will again be in deep shite, especially since Macallister has said the team needs only a minor tinkering :oops:

We need a major clear out, and for Houllier to succeed, he needs to be backed with major cash.

Seems both wont happen, and so we are stuck with a lame duck manager.

Sentiment is great in life, but a bloody disaster in Football.

Well there's a report in the Independent saying that we are waiting on important medical reports before making a decision. It is not up to GH or GMAC.

They have said that any reports saying he will be sacked or that RL will "rubber stamp" GH's return are both untrue.

5709347.png

Not good enough, really.

That's not even taking into account the health issues.

(edit - I like how you can see the 'Dworkin and Dicey' tab. I have my final 3rd year exam in a couple of hours - but these rumours GH is staying are far more troubling 8) )

WHat happens if we start next season badly (because it wont take long next term for the fans to turn on him) and his health then again suffers?

Alot of ifs and buts. I can just as easily say 'what if Houlliers replacement is shit and the fans turn on him'? Sack him and get somebody else in?

We need a bit of continuity after the start we had to last season.

Installing a revolving door at Bodymoor is not the answer im afraid.

Installing a revolving door at Bodymoor is not the answer im afraid.

Agreed. This must be avoided. If GH stays he must be able to contiune for a few years or if we hire a new manager it must be for the long term