Signed: Darren Bent £18m rising to £24m with add on's

dudevillaisnice

Could this mean that we have no summer budget, or do people think that its what we should and could hve spent last summer??.

If we finish up with Makoun, Bent and a LB then we shouldn't really need to spend a great deal next summer unless there is some sort of fan and shit combination.

I'm hoping this is the money that MON could have got..

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else amazed at how the media are reporting this?! You'd have thought that it was West Brom signing him, all the shock and questions about why he would join Villa. Kevin Phillips is now in on the act. I know there's a debate on here about how far away we are from Spurs in terms of size of club, but please don't tell me there's any doubt that we're bigger than Sunderland?! We've had a bad half season, but we'll be back, and Bent knows that. Simple as.

Yeah, I'm quite shocked at just the level of the questioning. Are Sunderland a top six club? no. Are Villa a bottom 6 club? No. Anyone who knows anything about football will realise that. The table will settle down and although not a great season we'll finish in the top half I'm sure. I also expect Sunderland to finish closer to the middle of the table (which would still represent a good year for them).

Yeh, it seems that these days, league position determines size of club.

I had a liverpool fan on my facebook yesterday posting "why would Bent want to go to Villa?"

When I replied with "don't let league position fool you, we're stuill a much bigger club than Sunderland"

his response was "They're 6th and you're 17th, they have a better squad so i'd say they're bigger"

Even when i then argued that Sunderland currently have a better squad and a higher league position than Liverpool, so by his argument that made them bigger than pool, he wouldn't agree. he claimed that was different!

It would appear to a lot of people that you're ionly as good as your current position. Circumstance and previous seasons mean nothing!

Simon Bird's column is actually very fair on Bent, its another article below this. We did bid for Phillips, knowing full well they'd reject.

Simon Bird? Doesn't he play Will in the Inbetweeners?

Could this mean that we have no summer budget, or do people think that its what we should and could hve spent last summer??.

Yes, let's be negative in the face of a hugely positive period for the club.

Yes, of course we're blowing our entire annual budget this transfer window, in fact, whilst we're at it we probably won't be able to spend another penny now for the next decade after this purchase.

Agenda, agenda, agenda.....

Oh and please hurry up and confirm this transfer so I can consider doing some form of work again......

Bent can leave with his head held high over a job well done at Sunderland even if he will suffer abuse for walking away to a rival.

I agree with this.. I hate this racial abuse stuff he gets though.

To be fair if some people racially abused my mother and then smashed my car up I would want to leave there too!

TBF it was Newcastle fans who damaged his car.

Yes, let's be negative in the face of a hugely positive period for the club.

Yes, of course we're blowing our entire annual budget this transfer window, in fact, whilst we're at it we probably won't be able to spend another penny now for the next decade after this purchase.

Agenda, agenda, agenda.....

Oh and please hurry up and confirm this transfer so I can consider doing some form of work again......

Get a grip of yourself, im only asking a question.

just want this deal to be done now, bear in mind we have heard nothing offical direct from the club as far as im aware

We never do until things are signed and sealed.

im sure we have heard snippets before with signings, im just abit concerned there has been no offical news of a bid accepted, or even rejected or Bent down for a medical, take for instance the Piennar current transfer, its common knowledge and offical that spurs had a bid rejected and chelsea accepted, we've had nothing like that for this.

I had a liverpool fan on my facebook yesterday posting "why would Bent want to go to Villa?"

When I replied with "don't let league position fool you, we're stuill a much bigger club than Sunderland"

his response was "They're 6th and you're 17th, they have a better squad so i'd say they're bigger"

Even when i then argued that Sunderland currently have a better squad and a higher league position than Liverpool, so by his argument that made them bigger than pool, he wouldn't agree. he claimed that was different!

It would appear to a lot of people that you're ionly as good as your current position. Circumstance and previous seasons mean nothing!

Even Villa fans on this board have tried to tell me that Blackpool at this moment in time are a better team than Villa because of their league position.

:lol:

im sure we have heard snippets before with signings, im just abit concerned there has been no offical news of a bid accepted, or even rejected or Bent down for a medical, take for instance the Piennar current transfer, its common knowledge and offical that spurs had a bid rejected and chelsea accepted, we've had nothing like that for this.

It's because we aren't a london club.. they won't go that extra mile to find out more news.

Bent can leave with his head held high over a job well done at Sunderland even if he will suffer abuse for walking away to a rival.

I agree with this.. I hate this racial abuse stuff he gets though.

To be fair if some people racially abused my mother and then smashed my car up I would want to leave there too!

TBF it was Newcastle fans who damaged his car.

Aren't they all the same? ;) "howay" "canny" "mint" and all that?

24m outright for Bent is ludicrous, English or not. He's a great finisher, and I'd like him here, but should be 18m (assuming that starting point has been accurately reported) rising to 20m, max, imo. Hope we've wrangled them down.

Even Villa fans on this board have tried to tell me that Blackpool at this moment in time are a better team than Villa because of their league position.

:lol:

Blues fans are the worst for this by far.

It's because we aren't a london club.. they won't go that extra mile to find out more news.

Yup, I was out most of the day yesterday. followed the news on here but didn't get a chance to switch on SSN until about 9pm.. All they mentioned about Bent was a headline every 20 minutes that he'd handed in a transfer request and we'd bid.

If it was spurs bidding 18m for a player they'd be showing it for about 59 minutes of each 60 minute bulletin.

If we finish up with Makoun, Bent and a LB then we shouldn't really need to spend a great deal next summer unless there is some sort of fan and shit combination.

We're getting a goalkeeper in the summer though right?