Houllier: Back him or sack him?

Stu_The_Villan

Houlier - back him or sack him?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

Yep, spot on that.

I think Mr Moxley may have been reading this site a lot recently concerning that story. Very one-sided, I like the way he didn't make a single suggestion of who could come in and do a better job. It feels like to me that he is obviously aware of the way the majority of villa fans are feeling and has written that article accordingly. A biased piece of journalism, though not necessarily incorrect on a lot of points.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say biaised, it's just an opinion piece. Plenty of room for that in journalism.

And he made a suggestion that K-Mac could come in for the short term. I'd imagine we'd then reassess in the summer. I was no fan of K-mac's, but the players would at least have wanted to play for him, and I don't think he'd have taken us down.

I wouldn't say biaised, it's just an opinion piece. Plenty of room for that in journalism.

And he made a suggestion that K-Mac could come in for the short term. I'd imagine we'd then reassess in the summer. I was no fan of K-mac's, but the players would at least have wanted to play for him, and I don't think he'd have taken us down.

We aren't down yet!

Maybe, but people can't have forgotten what it was like when KMac was in charge that quickly can they? Everyone was calling for his head, saying he didn't have the experience.

The fact is, it's well documented the love the players have for KMac, but they still turned in a dreadful performance against Newcastle and didn't do particularly well under him. I'll admit that he wasn't in charge for very long but if the team plays like that under someone they want to play for, and play like that under Houllier who we all assume they don't want to play for, doesn't that suggest something else is wrong?

We aren't down yet!

Well, no. I was saying that I don't think K-Mac would have taken us down. But I think there's a chance Houllier might.

Maybe, but people can't have forgotten what it was like when KMac was in charge that quickly can they? Everyone was calling for his head, saying he didn't have the experience.

The fact is, it's well documented the love the players have for KMac, but they still turned in a dreadful performance against Newcastle and didn't do particularly well under him. I'll admit that he wasn't in charge for very long but if the team plays like that under someone they want to play for, and play like that under Houllier who we all assume they don't want to play for, doesn't that suggest something else is wrong?

Excellent points. To add that Villa were not that good pre-season either.

It's crunch time for Randy. Either back Houllier and give him the money that's required to turn things round and bring in players in this window. Or, only bring in loan signings because isn't trusted and any likely new Manager will want to get rid of players purchased. Or, sack him. Make a decision quickly, but I wonder whether the pressure from the fans will be too overwhelming if we lose to Birmingham and that will push Randy.

I don't think Randy is the sort to be pushed around by fans. The Cleveland Browns fans all want him to sell the team apparantly and have done for years. He will only sack him if he feels it is the right decision.

Not forgetting anything. I said I thought he'd keep us up. At the time K-Mac was in charge, just keeping us up wasn't remotely acceptable, hence I didn't want him as manager. But situations change, we are in the shit, and players fighting for their manager and just about staying up sound great to me right now, thanks.

Yep, spot on that.

I think Mr Moxley may have been reading this site a lot recently concerning that story. Very one-sided, I like the way he didn't make a single suggestion of who could come in and do a better job. It feels like to me that he is obviously aware of the way the majority of villa fans are feeling and has written that article accordingly. A biased piece of journalism, though not necessarily incorrect on a lot of points.

I thought the article was typical Daily Mail shite. Feeding the public sensationalist, lowest common-denominator, bollocks. As with most things, the Mail has yet again failed to change my opinion.

I read somewhere today, amongst the many quotes, that Houllier believes he has the backing of Lerner "for better or for worse". This tells me he is here for the whole of this season no matter how bad it gets.

I wish I knew what was going through Randy's head right now. Is he holding onto the cash just in case we go down and he then doesn't have more expensive players on the books? Is he holding onto the cash in case we narrowly avoid relegation and will then look to bring in a new manager and give him the money for new players? Is he going to give money to give Houllier the season and then give the money to re-build in the summer? Is he going to give Houllier the money to spend now and hope that the new players help keep us up? or, even worse, does he just not have the money to spend?

I think this transfer window will tell us a lot about what Randy is thinking. The General said that Randy would back Houllier just like he did the previous manager, I believe this to be true. I doubt he meant to the same level of investment but I do believe that £10-£20m would have been invested in the playing side during the next two windows, as well as any cash brought in from our outgoing players. If we don't make any major signings and only get a couple of loanees in during the current window, I will believe that to suggest that Randy doesn't have total confidence in the ability of Houllier. Therefore, I would expect him to be sacked close season unless he manages to turn the season around and get that 12th place or higher finish that he believes we are capable of.

anybody else think that maybe lerner is backing houllier through the january transfer window and then if things still havent picked up when houllier has got his players in after the next 5 games the houllier will be out and get the new manager in. well we cant get rid of him now otherwise no transfers can come in and a new manager wouldnt have time to get used to the players. just a therory

I think it would be poor judgement to allow Houllier to buy players whilst the owner is still undecided on whether to sack him or not.

What Spurs did in the past, almost openly courting a replacement for Jol whilst Jol was still in a job, left a very bad taste in my mouth. Now I am hoping that Lerner is doing emulating Levy so that he can sack Houllier and immediately install his replacement.

Axing Houllier and then beginning a recruitment process for his successor would bring more trouble. First question is, who takes over as caretaker? MacAllister and Cowans, part of the failed Houllier management team? MacDonald, who was overlooked in September?

Having a replacement ready and waiting when the axe falls is vital, in my opinion. Hopefully that is the only reason Houllier remains P45-less tonight.

I think it would be poor judgement to allow Houllier to buy players whilst the owner is still undecided on whether to sack him or not.

What Spurs did in the past, almost openly courting a replacement for Jol whilst Jol was still in a job, left a very bad taste in my mouth. Now I am hoping that Lerner is doing emulating Levy so that he can sack Houllier and immediately install his replacement.

Axing Houllier and then beginning a recruitment process for his successor would bring more trouble. First question is, who takes over as caretaker? MacAllister and Cowans, part of the failed Houllier management team? MacDonald, who was overlooked in September?

Having a replacement ready and waiting when the axe falls is vital, in my opinion. Hopefully that is the only reason Houllier remains P45-less tonight.

sounds like the board have said they are backing houllier.....at least for now. think it would have to be kmac to get the job if houllier did (when) leave. at least till the season ends. at least the players looked like they wanted to play for him. but it looks like houllier will be staying.

Â