Houllier - released from contract with FFF

Brumerican

A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?  

628 members have voted

1. 1. A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?

• Oui
    • Non
    • Undecided

Good Morning All,

I see the media only highlighted the parts of the press conference that tries to makes AV look bad, yet they're doing things the proper way so, it would be totally different if we were getting a manager from another club, but that isn't the case.

I understand why Houllier can't leave the FFF yet and I'm fine with that, Kevin was put into the caretaker roll until we had a new manager come in, well he simply isn't in yet so he's still caretaker manager which he was asked to do from the start.

Some people are acting like the moon is falling from the sky....So what if other clubs laugh at us, if you go into the other football forum you will see we laugh at other clubs all the time, yet when GH is here fulltime then they will not have much to laugh about.

If you can't take being laughed at then you have problems.

Glad the prem teams are playing again this weekend, but meh have to wait till Monday until we play...I might do an "O'lbs" and hide under my covers until then.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just read that Patrice Bergues won't in fact be coming as a coach. Is this true?

Yes, KMac also turned down the opportunity to become assistant manager, so now Houllier is down to his fourth choice for assistant

That assumes that KMac was ever one of his choices (rather than the club's). Either way, its still not worth wetting the bed over. For me, getting GH is the important thing, he'll no doubt find someone he can work with.

Well being as GH was the one that said that KMac had turned down the opportunity he offered to him, one can only presume he was one of his choices, there is no supposing about it. Direct quote, horses mouth, also it isn't logical to say Houllier was allowed to have Thompson or Berges but when they said no, The club asked KMac on his behalf? Not likely really is it.

I've just read that Patrice Bergues won't in fact be coming as a coach. Is this true?

Yes, KMac also turned down the opportunity to become assistant manager, so now Houllier is down to his fourth choice for assistant

That assumes that KMac was ever one of his choices (rather than the club's). Either way, its still not worth wetting the bed over. For me, getting GH is the important thing, he'll no doubt find someone he can work with.

Well being as GH was the one that said that KMac had turned down the opportunity he offered to him, one can only presume he was one of his choices, there is no supposing about it. Direct quote, horses mouth, also it isn't logical to say Houllier was allowed to have Thompson or Berges but when they said no, The club asked KMac on his behalf? Not likely really is it.

I would imagine Kmac was given first refusal as a reward for his loyalty. Whether or not he would of been GH first choice is highly unlikely given they had never met until yesterday morning. As for Patrick Bergues, it is pure press speculation at the moment.

This hasn't been confirmed anywhere and certainly wasn't spoken about at the PC yesterday. I'll wait for it to be confirmed before worrrying about fourth choices etc I would suggest that KMac wouldn't of been GH first choice anyway and more of a respect thing in asking.

It was

"Joint management doesn't work, but in some capacity as assistant manager he would have been helpful. He could also have maybe learnt the trade and, who knows, taken over from me.

"But I understand his decision, he's a nice bloke so I won't hurt him - I told him I'd like him to stay at the club."

BBC Website

Well we can only presume I guess. GH was probably told when he was interviewed that the club were keen for him to offer KMac the role of assistant manager. He may have seen advantages in it and been willing to run with it but was no doubt more keen on Thompson or Berges. Do we know the sequencing for certain? I imagine KMac was offered Assistant first.

Wow!

Some of the crticism aimed towards the Board is quite telling. Sounds like a large minority of us no longer trust what they say or do. I have my own opinions and thoughts on them, but this is not the place for that.

Neither do i think that just because someone holds a differing opinion than me, it makes him less a fan. We all love this club and want the best, we just see things differently on how to achieve the best.

What i would say, is if you have any concerns about how we are being run, then maybe a different thread?

Im pretty sure the owners want to hear our opinions, warts and all. Its one thing that puts them above HDE :winkold:

On to Houllier.

This contract thing is complete baloney. He said himself that he is pretty sure things will be sorted out by the Bolton game. He would not say that if thought it would not be the case!

Do people really believe hes just some old french duffer? Come on guys, hes not going to look a div in national TV by stating something thats not likely to happen! :lol:

He also said that he had tried to persuade Macca to stay on as assistant, and that he wants him to be involved. Whos tosay that Macca himself may yet change his mind?

Im sure he feels pretty peed off at the moment, after being begged to put himself forward, then basicly snubbed. Pretty natural IMO, but whos to say that Randy and Houllier are not working on him behind the scenes?

Lets all stop panicing over trivial matters :lol:

Well put it this way if we lose to Stoke, a few questions will be asked! The problem with this whole situation is we have no guarantee of when he will take over, if the manager doesn't know when he's taking over then it's a farce for me, his first league game could be Wolves with the word Could being so important, that would make it 48 days of when we have been under staffed! Paul, Randy and the General can put all the positive spin on it they want but it's not acceptable! The treatment of KMac has been disgraceful, they should have told him the criteria from the beginning! As for the assistant position, do you think KMac was 3rd choice? Also a great assistant has been sacked, I'd be on the bloody phone now to get him at VP!

This hasn't been confirmed anywhere and certainly wasn't spoken about at the PC yesterday. I'll wait for it to be confirmed before worrrying about fourth choices etc I would suggest that KMac wouldn't of been GH first choice anyway and more of a respect thing in asking.

It was

"Joint management doesn't work, but in some capacity as assistant manager he would have been helpful. He could also have maybe learnt the trade and, who knows, taken over from me.

"But I understand his decision, he's a nice bloke so I won't hurt him - I told him I'd like him to stay at the club."

BBC Website

Sorry I mean't the situation with Patrick Bergues. All GH said was that the people he was looking at were currently employed so it needed to be sorted.

Why would you imagine that KMac was first?

Houllier clearly wanted Thompson AND Bergues together. Thompson's statement is proof of that, as he says he is sad not to be joining both of them. Bergues clearly also backed down after Thompson for some unknown reason.

Either way its hardly relevant, we're still back at the drawing board stage and three people have rejected the opportunity

Well put it this way if we lose to Stoke, a few questions will be asked!

Why? - MON never won there and lots of teams have been beaten there. If we win will questions be asked?

The treatment of KMac has been disgraceful

Why? Have they sacked him? Randy has come out and apparently give him a good positive statement.

Also a great assistant has been sacked,

Who is that then?

Houllier clearly wanted Thompson AND Bergues together. Thompson's statement is proof of that, as he says he is sad not to be joining both of them. Bergues clearly also backed down after Thompson for some unknown reason.

Either way its hardly relevant, we're still back at the drawing board stage and three people have rejected the opportunity

Again we don't know this to be a fact. He hasn't spoken about it yet has he? certainly not at the press conference, other than to say people he was looking at were currently employed.

I imagine that KMac was first because GH thought it the 'right' thing to do, perhaps having spoken to the Board. It would have been pretty rotten to have asked Thompson and Bergues then turned to KMac...however, this is all conjecture and as you say it's hardly relevant! :) What is relevant, as far as I'm concerned, is that the position we are in is not a "**** joke" nor anything to worry about. It'll be sorted in a couple of weeks.

People are acting like it's some sort of jolly that Houllier will be on. That he has a choice and prefers to stay with the French for a couple of weeks and dos about for a bit.

It's a legal requirement! If Houllier had a choice I'm sure he'd be here as soon as he can. But he can't just walk out on the FFF until he's either served his notice period or negotiated a time when he can leave.

People seem to think this makes the club look like a farce, but I don't see what else they could have done. If Houllier is the man they want as manager, how else could they have gone about this to avoid this"farce"?

As for the treatment of KMac, I don't see the problem. He took on the role of caretaker which is to be in charge until a full time manager is in charge. Until Houllier arrives properly, that job is not finished. He's been offered an assistant role (a role higher up than his previous role) and on refusing that he's been allowed to return to his previous role. Again, I don't see what the club has done wrong? Apart from offer him the manager's job (which I'm very glad they didn't because he's not good enough) they could't have done anything else.

Gérard Houllier arrives at Aston Villa and leaves them in confusion

• New manager unable to say when he will start Villa job

• Contract dispute with French federation unresolved

(4)

Tweet this (20)

Stuart James

The Guardian, Saturday 11 September 2010

Article history

Gérard Houllier's first Premier League game in charge at Aston Villa will be in two weeks' time... at the earliest. Photograph: Eddie Keogh/Reuters

Gérard Houllier's arrival as manager at Aston Villa descended into farce yesterday when the Frenchman was unable to guarantee when his first game in charge would be.

Houllier has yet to secure his release from the French Football Federation – he has three months' notice to serve – and his commitments to his role as their technical director mean he will not be able to attend Villa's Premier League fixture at Stoke City on Monday.

In fact there was little that could be said with any certainty after a bizarre day at Villa Park when Houllier revealed:

• His first league game as manager will be at the earliest two weeks' tomorrow – 48 days after Martin O'Neill resigned – although he might not even be able to make that match.

• Kevin MacDonald, who was overlooked for the manager's position and rejected the chance to be Houllier's No2, will be back in charge on a caretaker basis on Monday.

• Three people have already turned down the chance to be Houllier's assistant manager, with Patrice Bergues the latest to decline.

• He may have to return to the FFF (Fédération Française de Football) for the odd day while he is Villa's manager if he does not serve his three months' notice.

The 63-year-old, who has yet to sign a contract with Villa but said it was a "formality", said that he will not be managing the team at home against Bolton Wanderers a week today. He plans to be in the dug-out for the first time on Wednesday week, when Villa take on Blackburn Rovers in the Carling Cup, before overseeing his first league game at Wolverhampton Wanderers two weeks tomorrow, but he could not promise that would definitely be the case.

It was hardly the most positive of starts, if it can be called a start, and came after some less than inspiring quotes emerged in France yesterday morning. "Aston Villa is not a club on the same level as Liverpool, let's be objective and honest," Houllier, who spent six years in charge of Liverpool, between 1998 and 2004, said. "It's a club that according to me has belonged between seventh and 12th place in the Premier League."

Villa have finished in the top six in nine of their 18 seasons in the Premier League, although reminding Houllier of the club's recent history feels like the least of supporters' worries given the Frenchman's complications with the FFF. "Even [the Wolves game] I can't promise," Houllier said. "All I can tell you is that I will come. We spoke with Paul [Faulkner, the club's chief executive] yesterday and there is no point delaying the official press conference. At some stage I will be here. To me the earliest would be the Bolton game, not in charge but there.

"I couldn't get back for the Stoke game. I have meetings Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I apologise for that. You understand I'm the head of the national coaches, the regional coaches. The season has started, the work is under way. The other thing is that, if I don't do the three months' [notice], maybe I have to go one day [to the FFF] and maybe spend time there."

Quite how MacDonald feels about being back in caretaker charge after missing out on the manager's role is unclear. He has, however, told Houllier he is not interested in being his assistant and that he would prefer to return to his role as reserve-team manager.

Phil Thompson had already rejected the assistant manager's position and yesterday Bergues, who worked alongside Houllier at Liverpool and Lyon, turned the post down. Gary McAllister is expected to be Houllier's next choice.

Houllier rejected the notion that this season would have to be written off as one of transition, although he accepted the players had been placed in a "more difficult" and "tricky" position. Asked whether he had an overriding message for the Villa fans, he replied: "We are in this together. They have to understand that. It's a tricky season because of what has happened. Their support is fundamental. We play for the fans. Our aim is to give them pleasure." When that will be is anyone's guess.

Clicky

Gérard Houllier's enthusiasm endures on return with Aston Villa

Questions are piling up about when exactly he can start but the jovial Frenchman is relishing diving back into the piranha pond

Tweet this (15)

Comments (2)

Richard Williams

The Guardian, Saturday 11 September 2010

Article history

Gérard Houllier poses with an Aston Villa shirt on his return to English football after six seasons at home in France. Photograph: Craig Brough/Action Images

With a flourish of Gallic rhetoric, a beaming Gérard Houllier returned to the Premier League yesterday, proclaiming that the future for Aston Villa, his new club, could hardly be more radiant. "The chemistry, the vision, the value, the quality of the club, the fan base – everything is here," he said.

His mood of exuberance and optimism suggested that he is not content to be known in England as the man on whose recommendation Sir Alex Ferguson signed Eric Cantona back in 1992, thus providing the key to Manchester United's modern era of dominance, before failing to satisfy Liverpool's equally profound yearning to recapture the English league title.

Behind the scenes, however, a degree of confusion surrounded the Frenchman's appointment as Martin O'Neill's successor at Villa Park. Since the club have yet to conclude the negotiations that will free Houllier from his contract as technical director to the French football federation, existing commitments may delay his return to an English dugout until the trip to Molineux a fortnight tomorrow, and possibly beyond. Even then he may find himself having to work one day a week for the federation for the next three months, until his notice expires.

There is also the unresolved question of a right-hand man. Kevin MacDonald, Villa's caretaker manager, has opted to return to his job as reserve team coach rather than accept a promotion to work alongside Houllier. Phil Thompson, the Frenchman's assistant at Liverpool, has said that he would prefer to pursue his television career. Patrice Bergues, who worked with Houllier at Anfield and subsequently at Lyon, informed him yesterday that he will be staying in France for family reasons. Other candidates may include Gary McAllister, one of the outstanding players of Houllier's time at Liverpool, a recent manager of Coventry City and Leeds United and currently first-team coach at Middlesbrough.

Houllier was presented as Villa's manager exactly a week after his 63rd birthday. Two of the rivals who stood in his way during his six seasons at Anfield are still in place: Sir Alex Ferguson, now heading for his 69th birthday, and his compatriot Arsène Wenger, who will be 61 next month.

Between them, that pair won all six championships while Houllier was in charge of Liverpool. His finest achievements came in 2000-01, with a cup treble of the Uefa Cup, the FA Cup and the League Cup, the team also finishing third in the Premier League. It was at the start of the following campaign, soon after winning the Community Shield against Manchester United and the Uefa Super Cup against Bayern Munich, that Houllier collapsed with a ruptured aorta at half-time during a match against Leeds United in October 2001. A seven-hour operation saved his life, and after a five-month convalescence he rejoined Thompson to guide the club to a second-place finish.

But suspicions that he was not quite the same man appeared to be strengthened when Liverpool finished fifth and fourth in his final two seasons, and the earlier momentum had been lost when he left amid terrace grumblings about the quality of such expensive signings as El-Hadji Diouf, Bruno Cheyrou and Salif Diao.

There was a glancing allusion to his medical history yesterday. "I am pleased, I am proud, I am hungry, I am healthy, and I just can't wait to come," he said, although the precise date of his arrival at the club's Bodymoor Heath training centre is unknown. "According to French law the FFF (Fédération Française de Football) could say, 'You've got to stay for another three months'," he said. "I'm negotiating with the president to leave far earlier."

The man who started his managerial career with Le Touquet Athletic Club has been a confirmed Anglophile since his days as a young student teacher. While working in Liverpool in 1969, long before he started to entertain ideas about working in the game, he stood on the Kop to watch the side built by Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley. Yesterday his enthusiasm appeared undimmed as he relinquished his safe job in France for a second plunge into the Premier League's piranha pond.

"Why am I here? I had offers from other countries, as you can imagine," he said. "But I like to do things as a team, whether at Liverpool, Lyon or Paris [saint-Germain], and here I feel that we're going to be in this together.

"There's a vision of gradual progress and improvement. We won't achieve that overnight. The aim, of course, is Europe, places of honour, and silverware. Everybody's talking about the Champions League, but I say let's take it one step at a time. What we want to do is make the best of the squad we have. I think the team will improve in the long run.

"I've done a bit of homework and I've yet to meet anyone who says it's not a good club. Let's make it a great club."

His predecessor, it was suggested, had failed in the mission to propel Villa into the top four. "Well, we're in the top four now," Houllier responded with a smile, referring to a league table which shows them in fourth place after three matches, behind Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal, and nine places ahead of his old club. "If we keep that up, I'll be very happy."

Clicky

I didnt want him in the begining and now i just hate the clearing in the woods ... We'r the fcukin Villa FFS Not fcukin Hartlepool united!

Who dose he think he is to string us out like this?..

More fool to the micky mouse board... Go Back to disneyland!

5 weeks to parade a bloke under contract some place else and that hasnt even signed... Couldnt Run A Bath!..

So in a less 'personal' or 'abusive' way why is it you hate Houllier and why is he a "clearing in the woods" what has he done wrong other than having the respect to hounour pre-exsiting agreements with the FFF and not leave them in a lurch like a certain former manager? Exactly how is he 'stringing' us out? is this a clever little game he is playing?

And the last couple of points about "micky mouse board" and "couldn't run a bath" are frankly disrespectful and without substance. Why are they mickey mouse? I would have more respect for you if you were able to put a reasoned argument as to why think Houllier is a word removed (god help him when he actually does something wrong)

Lets start with his quotes by describing his new team as belonging 'between seventh and 12th in the Premier League' - even though O'Neill took them to three successive sixth-placed finishes - adding: 'Villa is not a club on the same level as Liverpool.',,,

I like others dont wanna hear that shit Especially, When i have just shelled out hard earned, hard to come by cash on the next 6 games in a row!

**** liverpool what they got to do with the villa managers job?.. If you still got the hard on for them then go play on the M62...

The day When mon left GH was not on anybodys top 10 wish list of any villa fan to take over and your muggin yourself off if you say so!

As for the board well where do you start in the last 2 months?.. The bastards have crushed poor kevin mac, The fcukers gagged him to not speaking out about the managers job so they didnt have to spen money till jan, now the bloke gets stick for saying he hadnt made his mind up when he was gagged all along.

Funny how he was aloud to speake about it on aug 2nd!

I really hope and pray that it takes the full 3 months and kevin mac wins every fcukin game!

Â