Houllier - released from contract with FFF

Brumerican

A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?  

628 members have voted

1. 1. A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?

• Oui
    • Non
    • Undecided

The 7th - 12th thing was NOT from the press conference. He said nothing of the sort in the press conference. It was quotes from an interview he gave in France (and in French)

Any, he said it in the past tense. Villa HAS belonged in 7th-12th place. He didn't say "I expect Villa to finish in 7th - 12th place". In the press conference he said he wanted to break the top 4, and that should obviously be his aim.

It was an inoccuoscomment, pounced upon by the media as per usual.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 7th - 12th thing was NOT from the press conference. He said nothing of the sort in the press conference. It was quotes from an interview he gave in France (and in French)

Any, he said it in the past tense. Villa HAS belonged in 7th-12th place. He didn't say "I expect Villa to finish in 7th - 12th place". In the press conference he said he wanted to break the top 4, and that should obviously be his aim.

I'm not sure any of that matters. He said it, and he said it after he had basically got the Villa job. If he thought because he was talking to the French media in French it wouldn't find its way to England then he's a little foolish.

And it doesn't matter that he said it in the past tense. Firstly, it's still wrong. And secondly, saying it in the past tense is still planting the seed about the level he is going to elevate the club from.

I'm not sure any of that matters. He said it, and he said it after he had basically got the Villa job. If he thought because he was talking to the French media in French it wouldn't find its way to England then he's a little foolish.

And it doesn't matter that he said it in the past tense. Firstly, it's still wrong. And secondly, saying it in the past tense is still planting the seed about the level he is going to elevate the club from.

Where does it say that he said it after he got the managers job?

It was posted in a French newspaper then a day or few days after it was in the Birmingham Mail, then the next day it was posted on SkySports website.

So you know he said this when he accepted the Villa job how?

Also he isn't wrong, if you take the league positions since the prem league started and you took the avg, it would work out to about 7-8th.

It was posted in a French newspaper then a day or few days after it was in the Birmingham Mail, then the next day it was posted on SkySports website.

Also he isn't wrong, if you take the league positions since the prem league started and you took the avg, it would work out to about 7-8th.

I can't pinpoint the exact time. If it wasn't after he'd formally accepted the managers job it was certainly while he was in negotiations for the job, so I'm not sure what difference you think it makes? He certainly wasn't impartial at the time, he was speaking as Villa-manager-to-be.

If our average is 7th-8th, then...I would personally say that makes him wrong saying 7th to 12th. By a good distance. 6th to 10th he might have got away with.

Sorry but not knowing his start date is a farce. I thought Randy & co were hard nosed businessmen - surley they should have approached the french FA and demand he be released ?

Yes I know french law, and all that - holding to contracts - but FFS its not like he is the french manager, or we are in the middle of a world cup ?

Very poor.

Spot on chap.

*We've finished top 6 the past three seasons (and in two of those campaigns we looked like we were on for even better).

* We're something like 5th in the all time Prem league

*And we're still the 4th most succesful side in English football history.

GH might want to lower expectations, ably abetted by some Villa fans it seems. But the above makes a mockery of his 7th-12th summary. Unless he was referring to the brief window he was last in English football.

That in itself would be a worry, that he hasn't kept in touch with the English game during his time out and isn't aware of our progress. It would beg the question what else is he unaware of?

I can't pinpoint the exact time. If it wasn't after he'd formally accepted the managers job it was certainly while he was in negotiations for the job, so I'm not sure what difference you think it makes? He certainly wasn't impartial at the time, he was speaking as Villa-manager-to-be.

If our average is 7th-8th, then...I would personally say that makes him wrong saying 7th to 12th. By a good distance. 6th to 10th he might have got away with.

What does it really matter anyway?

6th to 10th he might have got away with, so your moaning about 2 league places...Get real, what he said doesn't matter at all.

That doesn't matter that's over games played, he is talking about league positions. The avg since the prem started.

And you know that how?

Sorry, I didn't see that clarification in his comments as reported. You might wish it to be so to suit your argument, but he mentioned nothing about averages, median values or anything else.

At a stroke, he effectively labelled us as midtable fodder. On a par with Sunderland, Wigan, Bolton et.c

It's incorrect, for the reasons outlined above.

You can maybe understand him wanting to dampen expectation as it then takes a bit of heat off him.

What I don't like is if he indeed said we should be looking at 7th -12 on what basis did he come to that conclusion. Is it in terms of Premier League? The last 50 years? The history of the club as a whole. Seems he has picked a position far weaker than the fact in terms of points we are the 5th most successful Premier League team, in terms of trophies we are the 4th most successful English Club and in terms of recent history we have finished 6th in the last three seasons.

I'd suggest to Mr Houllier and anyone else who agrees with him that the facts, past history and recent history ( last 3 years ) would suggest that 7th is not considered success for Aston Villa and therefore 12th certainly isn't and is quite frankly a **** insult.

6th to 10th he might have got away with, so your moaning about 2 league places...Get real, what he said doesn't matter at all.

I disagree. It's not a question of how many places he shifted the goalposts by, it's that he felt the need to shift them at all. And that in the same interview he compared us unfavourably to Liverpool. It all adds up to a bad taste being left in the mouth, and unwanted memories of David O'Leary bigging up his time at Leeds and downplaying expectations too.

That doesn't matter that's over games played, he is talking about league positions. The avg since the prem started.

And you know that how?

Sorry, I didn't see that clarification in his comments as reported. You might wish it to be so to suit your argument, but he mentioned nothing about averages, median values or anything else.

At a stroke, he effectively labelled us as midtable fodder. On a par with Sunderland, Wigan, Bolton et.c

It's incorrect, for the reasons outlined above.

Why you do you think you're correct?

Why does any of this even matter? so what if he said that....Are you going to jump up and down until someone hears you screaming?

I just don't know why everyone is making a big deal about all this crap, if he takes us forward great...What he has said to the French press don't mean balls, we don't even know what questions he was asked for starters.

I disagree. It's not a question of how many places he shifted the goalposts by, it's that he felt the need to shift them at all. And that in the same interview he compared us unfavourably to Liverpool. It all adds up to a bad taste being left in the mouth, and unwanted memories of David O'Leary bigging up his time at Leeds and downplaying expectations too.

Oh give over, any idiot knows Liverpool are on a different level to AV....He is only being honest...ffs

Â