Football Manager 2011

AndyClarke

Struggling more in the Premiership for the ball more than I hoped. Although back end of last season started to show form. Went from 19th in December to finishing 10th. Ground is being expanded, training/youth facilities etc....so all progressing nicely.

I've got a few more divisions loaded than usual so it's give a more few more options in the transfer market which has helped.

Here's a few of my better players at the moment ..(I've also got Bannan/Cairney/Fabio/Smithies etc... but they are pretty well known anyway.

This is my Pique, signed from Las Palmas for £800k while I was in the Championship about 18 months ago. Class act.

juanpe.jpg

This is my Busquets, holding role. Signed for £1.6 million again 18 months ago. Developed nicely and obviously still going.

kongobia.jpg

Now my best player by far. When I signed him, he was going to be my little Iniesta because he's got a bit more to his game but he's turned into a cracking "Xavi" in the end, he constantly looks for the ball and regularly makes 50+ passes at around 90% passing rate usually. Signed for a mere £475k 2 years ago.

verratti.jpg

New signing I've just made this summer for £4.2 million, plenty of potential and determination so hopefully will fulfil that, not sure where I am going to play him yet, maybe as a left central midfielder.

thiagou.jpg

Signed from Las Palmas for £5.25 million, he sort of saved my season a little (signed in January). In the Messi role, suited perfectly for it and scored 7, 5 assists in 14 games last season.

vierah.jpg

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's weird, I too have been playing the exact same formation as you POB. I've been using it since watching the CL final and it's made me rediscover my love of FM.

How on earth do you get the central midfielders dicate the play so much though? My fullbacks are always the ones who are way ahead in the number of passes per game. I just cannot figure it out.

That's weird, I too have been playing the exact same formation as you POB. I've been using it since watching the CL final and it's made me rediscover my love of FM.

How on earth do you get the central midfielders dicate the play so much though? My fullbacks are always the ones who are way ahead in the number of passes per game. I just cannot figure it out.

Nice :)

Yeah, completely agree about the full backs, I think it's just the match engine, seems almost impossible to recreate the Barca tactic game after game after game. The biggest problem I've found with the 4-1-2-3-0 formation is the fact the opposition goalkeeper gets a lot of the ball and wastes down possesion and chance you have of getting the ball, so I'm currently worked on a revamped sort of tactic, the main problem is getting the balance between possesion and creating. I'm playing the tactic to play like Barcelona, so winning 4-0, constant through balls, chances, goals ...although seems obviously great, doesn't give me the same satisfaction as having 65% possesion and playing great football and winning 2/3-0 would.

Problem is, I don't want to give attacking players constantly 'run from deep' because it means there won't be many options for the player on the ball apart from more through ball type passes, where as I want a calm build up. Unfortunately you can't to do tactics for over the pitch. In the final 3rd, plenty of runs, up until then, players dropping short, keeping it etc...

Hmmm, we'll see.

Just come back to my Villa save, picking up from the 7th game in. Lost 2-1 to Citeh at Villa Park despite completely outplaying them. Does anyone else get this? your team dominates the game and has about 20 shots on target yet you lose 2-1?

Next we took on BATE in the Europa League and won 3-1 with two goals from Michael Bradley.

Nice :)

Yeah, completely agree about the full backs, I think it's just the match engine, seems almost impossible to recreate the Barca tactic game after game after game. The biggest problem I've found with the 4-1-2-3-0 formation is the fact the opposition goalkeeper gets a lot of the ball and wastes down possesion and chance you have of getting the ball, so I'm currently worked on a revamped sort of tactic, the main problem is getting the balance between possesion and creating. I'm playing the tactic to play like Barcelona, so winning 4-0, constant through balls, chances, goals ...although seems obviously great, doesn't give me the same satisfaction as having 65% possesion and playing great football and winning 2/3-0 would.

Problem is, I don't want to give attacking players constantly 'run from deep' because it means there won't be many options for the player on the ball apart from more through ball type passes, where as I want a calm build up. Unfortunately you can't to do tactics for over the pitch. In the final 3rd, plenty of runs, up until then, players dropping short, keeping it etc...

Hmmm, we'll see.

Well I've just beat Blues 3-0 with 71% possession actually, so I may be on to something possession wise! Although my top passer was my fullback Pedro who made 93, while my 'Xavi' made a paltry 37.

Think I'll swith to classic tactics, see if that helps.

Classic didn't help, although I did manage a 3-0 away win at Chelsea. Reverted back now. Last four games:

Liverpool (H) / 3-0 / 67% Possession / Top passer - Pedro (LB) 78/70

Bolton (H) / 3-1 / 60% Possession / Top passer - Nuno Gomes (LB) 65/58 (Weakened team)

Leeds (A) / 2-0 / 66% Possession / Top passer - Pedro (LB) 111/104

Galatasaray (H) / 74% Possession / Top passer - Serrano (CB) 102/89

Interesting that my Pique (Serrano) managed to top the passing charts in that one game. Don't know how that came about. Will continue to tinker, I WILL get this right!

ajauxerretransfershisto.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Players in/out for the same amount .... :D

Started the challenge yesterday of AJ Auxerre... a bit like Villa (predicted 6th), Great youth and one of the best squads in France when it comes to "creativity".. sold the leading striker to Arsenal he was age 29/30 got a good fee for him and promoted Sanogo to first team.. got a couple of free transfers in and my best transfer was Badelj and Nestor..

Leandro is a decent player too (DM for free).. after 11 games sitting 2nd atm, got knocked out of CL in the first round.. My aim is to win a cup and finish top 4.. I play a 4-2-3-1 possession tactic usually have 65% upwards of possession..

Classic didn't help, although I did manage a 3-0 away win at Chelsea. Reverted back now. Last four games:

Liverpool (H) / 3-0 / 67% Possession / Top passer - Pedro (LB) 78/70

Bolton (H) / 3-1 / 60% Possession / Top passer - Nuno Gomes (LB) 65/58 (Weakened team)

Leeds (A) / 2-0 / 66% Possession / Top passer - Pedro (LB) 111/104

Galatasaray (H) / 74% Possession / Top passer - Serrano (CB) 102/89

Interesting that my Pique (Serrano) managed to top the passing charts in that one game. Don't know how that came about. Will continue to tinker, I WILL get this right!

How about setting xavi as playmaker??? Or lowering mentality and taking of runs from deep (if you do have it on medium) so that he drops deeper and gets the ball??

I've got a problem.. I've got Badelj as my AMC as advanced playmaker.. he has 5 assists so far in about 8-9 matches which is great but when I watch the matches he gets tackled far too often and loses the ball.. any ideas on what I can do to keep the attack moving? maybe upping the tempo?

I've got a problem.. I've got Badelj as my AMC as advanced playmaker.. he has 5 assists so far in about 8-9 matches which is great but when I watch the matches he gets tackled far too often and loses the ball.. any ideas on what I can do to keep the attack moving? maybe upping the tempo?

Do you have him running with the ball often?

Bent is currently on a crazy goalscoring spree using the tactic posted earlier in the thread

8 in 8 in the league

1 in 1 in the league cup

17 in 5 in the Europa League !!

overall 26 in 14

he had 16 in 8 in pre-season friendlies as well.

Though now i have posted he probably won't score again !!

Just finishing my first season with Real Madrid...

Higuain has 40 La Liga goals so far.. Ronaldo has 16.. Benzema has 22... Adebayor has 18..

In CL final with Arsenal (which should be easy really)

So anyway, I want to buy Adebayor and have a fixed price of £13M on him (which is alot) so I managed to negotiate it to around £10.5M which they accepted.. however he wants £210K a week.. far too much and he expects to be in "first team".. when during the loan spell he has been a perfect option off the bench (I select "to head" and he gets plenty of goals)

I'll loan out Morata/Sanogo/Djuricic

Sell.. Gago, Diarra ...

and promote Canales/Sarabia to first team.

I've also got A.C Milan after Pedro Leon so if I get a good offer for him i'll sell him.

Bent is currently on a crazy goalscoring spree using the tactic posted earlier in the thread

8 in 8 in the league

1 in 1 in the league cup

17 in 5 in the Europa League !!

overall 26 in 14

he had 16 in 8 in pre-season friendlies as well.

Though now i have posted he probably won't score again !!

Scoring hasn't stopped, into April now, about 10 league and cup games to go and he has 85 competetive goals, I just think the season will run out too soon for him to hit 100 :(

just did the league CL double again with chelsea, beat man city in the final im in 2018 and they've lost 3 finals and havent won the league either :D babacar has 20 for finishing and is pretty unplayable but gets injured a fair bit relaxed my squad selection after i won the league to focus on CL and conceeded 5 in the last 3 games to bring it to 9 conceeded for the season, moved to a 56k "chelsea stadium" team -

cech

mussachio - munoz - sakho - santon

rodwell

albrighton - essien - ronaldo

babacar - tevez

bench - lots of regen defenders, ganso, rakitic, kroos (on loan) neymar, plus a 19 year old regen from real madrid who cost me £20m and starts every game for spain and a nigerian 22 year old who cost me £150k and is now worth £18m, got essien, terry and tevez going this summer

main problem i have now is england are shite in terms of youngsters, seemingly no regens of any real quality, rooney always injured and pulled out of friendlies (he's got the caps & goals record but is on 87 goals i want him over 100 and he's 32)

just did the league CL double again with chelsea, beat man city in the final im in 2018 and they've lost 3 finals and havent won the league either :D babacar has 20 for finishing and is pretty unplayable but gets injured a fair bit relaxed my squad selection after i won the league to focus on CL and conceeded 5 in the last 3 games to bring it to 9 conceeded for the season, moved to a 56k "chelsea stadium" team -

cech

mussachio - munoz - sakho - santon

rodwell

albrighton - essien - ronaldo

babacar - tevez

bench - lots of regen defenders, ganso, rakitic, kroos (on loan) neymar, plus a 19 year old regen from real madrid who cost me £20m and starts every game for spain and a nigerian 22 year old who cost me £150k and is now worth £18m, got essien, terry and tevez going this summer

main problem i have now is england are shite in terms of youngsters, seemingly no regens of any real quality, rooney always injured and pulled out of friendlies (he's got the caps & goals record but is on 87 goals i want him over 100 and he's 32)

Its shit how no quality english youngsters come through thats what i base my hole team on bringing em through.

What settings should I use to get my team to keep possesion?

No matter what i try i cant seem to get much more than 53/54 %

Just created a 4-4-2 tactic, currently getting 60-65% possesion regularly, not sure if it's because my players are better, Sutton United in league 2 (bought well) or tactic.

But reading forums and through own experience, if you want to keep possesion...

have the full backs to "cut inside" for their wide play, also tick everyones box for 'hold up play' ...to yes. Set tempo to normal or lower. (mine is between normal and slow)

basically, hold up means your players will slow the game down and therefore should pick the right options more often than not.

with full backs cutting in, i still have fairly decent width, so their starting positions are wide but when they get it, instead of running down the flank aimlessly and getting tackled, hitting a hopeless cross or generally doing something useless, they run inside, slow it down and pass the ball inside. also imo anyway, run from deep either medium/rarely....as making themselves available in deeper positions is good for positions and creates space for your more creative players, so works for possesion and chances i've found.

CM playmaker usually makes 60-70 passes a game which is quite good imo for a 4-4-2.

I've got one winger who plays AMR, hug touchline, cross ball often, run from deep etc....attacking winger.

then play a LM to cut inside, medium for through balls, run with ball, run from deep etc....so to give me a bit of balance.

my left striker has move into channels, run with ball often, run from deep often etc....advanced forward.... (as my left midfielder leaves that space free, to cut inside) he's got 29 in 23 this season.

my right striker is a deep lying forward, no runs from deep, plenty through balls etc...to either my ST/RW. always gives my players an option with the ball.

when choosing players. passing, decisions, composure etc...all important.

also, press higher up the pitch so you win the ball back more often without leaving yourself too exposed to ball in behind. If you have someone listed as 'playmaker' then make sure he doesn't make runs from deep, that way, he holds his position and looks for the ball in deep positions, rather than a full back getting the ball and your "playmaker" making a stupid run forward instead of giving your player an option. Also set his mentality to lower than other players, so he takes up deeper positions. (same with deep lying forward)

make sure you do 'short throw ins'....and also make sure enough players make options for those short throws. i.e my RB when takes a throw has the RCM, RW, STR, all coming short.

Goalkeeper as well, having defender collect to a CB/FB is vital and means you don't give the ball away pointlessly.

Oh and obviously short passing.

few things I can think of. Some obvious one's....some not so i.e. hold up ball/cut inside. working for me anyway, won 27 out of last 32 league games, scoring goals freely and have had the majority possesion every single match. only about 5 of them being below 55%

Â