Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Is there really any rush?

Yes there is! If the reports are to be believed there is still a bit of unrest. Not to mention the fact the transfer window will be closing in just over a fortnight!

The other thing is that without a proper figure-head at the helm (to give the team a vision etc) some of our best players' heads may be turned. We've lost Milner already, there's talk of Ashley Young going and demanding show-down talks. I've even heard that Brad Friedel might be on his way!

IMHO We need to get this sorted ASAP!

You mean the Ashley Young saga that was sorted out yesterday and Friedel going on live tv saying i'ver had no contact nor do i have any intention of leaving ? , come on man keep up will you

er, that's not my quote, not sure how you managed it but that's not me!

(not that it's important, it's not like we're judged and scored on our contributions)

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean the Ashley Young saga that was sorted out yesterday and Friedel going on live tv saying i'ver had no contact nor do i have any intention of leaving ? , come on man keep up will you

I'll give you the Friedel one, but the Ashley Young saga is a long way from being sorted! Have you read today's paper? I hate paper talk coz it's usually crap but let's not assume that his head may not be turned!

I like Bob Bradley. Thought he did okay with a limited US squad, though he blew a glorious chance against Ghana. I like that American style, too. No nonsense. Seems like a good man. I'd enjoy having him as manager here.

But come on. It would be like promoting the guy who peels potatoes to head chef. It's such a leap... can we afford it? I'm not sure.

Although if we appointed Bradley, I'd be convinced he'd be crap but would enjoy finding out. If we appointed the likes of Curbishley et al I'd be still pretty convinced but I'd hate having them there. Does that make any sense?

It's a terrible market for managers at the moment. :(

If we make the mistake of signing this guy (Bob Hollywood Bradley) I fear for our season. We'll be lucky if we make mid-table! I'll suspend judgement for now but I am angry...... really angry! :angry:

I'd been really looking forward to this season (especially since the debacle of the world cup). I thought we might do something this year. Not so much in the league (top 6 again) but maybe a cup or two. We were close last year and I loved going to Wembley, but it feels as if all of that is just drifting away!

Talksport's Alan Brazil has us (a manager-less Aston Villa) losing our first game to West Ham who barely struggled to make 35pts last season!

I need to wake up from what appears to be an absolute nightmare!

Sorry for the rant! It's just so frustrating. So near and yet so far! :bang::bang:

Mav!

Seriously frustrated Villan!

And you know he will be crap how?

He is tactically sound, by topping our group in the WC and beating Spain.

Nothing to be frowned at.

Dont want to piss on your bonfire but topping the group stages during the world cup wouldn't have been to difficult, given that england were crap. for me that doesn't qualify anyone for the managers job at villa, especially a manager with no european football experience.

Seriously villa need a top manager. The names that seem to be mentioned on a regular basis at the mo, don't feel me with any confidence at all. We need to be looking to bring in the likes of Huudink, Ranieri etc. Someone to instantly get the respect of the players, steady the ship and start moving us forward again.

If we make the mistake of signing this guy (Bob Hollywood Bradley) I fear for our season. We'll be lucky if we make mid-table! I'll suspend judgement for now but I am angry...... really angry! :angry:

I'd been really looking forward to this season (especially since the debacle of the world cup). I thought we might do something this year. Not so much in the league (top 6 again) but maybe a cup or two. We were close last year and I loved going to Wembley, but it feels as if all of that is just drifting away!

Talksport's Alan Brazil has us (a manager-less Aston Villa) losing our first game to West Ham who barely struggled to make 35pts last season!

I need to wake up from what appears to be an absolute nightmare!

Sorry for the rant! It's just so frustrating. So near and yet so far! :bang::bang:

Mav!

Seriously frustrated Villan!

And you know he will be crap how?

He is tactically sound, by topping our group in the WC and beating Spain.

Nothing to be frowned at.

Seriously villa need a top manager. The names that seem to be mentioned on a regular basis at the mo, don't feel me with any confidence at all. We need to be looking to bring in the likes of Huudink, Ranieri etc. Someone to instantly get the respect of the players, steady the ship and start moving us forward again.

Seriously, thats not going to happen.

Thats not Villas fault, its just the serious lack of quality out there.

Its why our new manager will be ever such a gamble, to see if we strike gold with a little gem to build from solid foundations.

If we make the mistake of signing this guy (Bob Hollywood Bradley) I fear for our season.

Add to that the uniqueness (and difficulty) of the premiership and the fact that there have been many managers with 'good' reputations that have bombed.

By that logic, the fact that experienced managers have failed means Bradley's got just as much chance as anybody else, yes?

We'd all like to see someone "big" appointed, but I'm not going to sweat over an unknown quantity. I don't recall Brain Little doing much before saving the club from relegation and then winning a trophy.

Mmm the coach of such footballing giants as Ohio University and Chicago Fire. I mean just having anything to do with a team called 'Fire' is enough for me to dismiss him as a no mark.

If we employ this chancer then it tells a story of how we will go forward as a 'do it on the cheap' side. He would be brought in as a simple yes man. May as well stick with MacDonald.

I STILL wouldn't dismiss Moyes just yet.

5 days... I mean a week, is a long time in football.

But he has said he doesn't want it? Why exactly would he leave Everton at the time which he feels could really kick on and do something? The strongest squad he has ever had, fully fit, and he just spent all summer convincing all our best players to sign new deals...What would people think after all this work comes to the point he has been building 8 years for, and then he jumps ship now? I just don't see it happening. I will hold my hands up if I am wrong but I genuinely do not see it at all.

If you don't ask you don't get. Does anyone really think that managing a club like villa or managing in the premiership isn't an atractive proposition- even with constraints? There are loads of managers out there who would be willing to come to england. Maybe not the 2 I mentioned but why not any other top level manager rather than the bollox being mentioned?

But he has said he doesn't want it? Why exactly would he leave Everton at the time which he feels could really kick on and do something? The strongest squad he has ever had, fully fit, and he just spent all summer convincing all our best players to sign new deals...What would people think after all this work comes to the point he has been building 8 years for, and then he jumps ship now? I just don't see it happening. I will hold my hands up if I am wrong but I genuinely do not see it at all.

I don't see it either. What would Moyes gain from leaving Everton to join us, nothing. He has bulit a good strong squad over the last few years and now he sees this season as realisation of it's potential. Why would he let some one else reap the rewards for his years of hard work

Exactly, people need a reality check. I think he might quite legitimately see this job as at least a sideways step...and to be honest even a backward step. Moyes indeed [palm plant, shaky head, chuckle]

By that logic, the fact that experienced managers have failed means Bradley's got just as much chance as anybody else, yes?

We'd all like to see someone "big" appointed, but I'm not going to sweat over an unknown quantity. I don't recall Brain Little doing much before saving the club from relegation and then winning a trophy.

Two things. 1. At that time Brian Little had cut his teeth in the lower divisions doing well at the likes of Leicester, Middlesborough and Wolves (I think). He'd got promotions, made play-offs and did well in cups (I think).

2. This is a different era. It's all about money even more so than before. The other point is that we're not battling relegation we are stuggling to keep pace with our closest rivals.

We're a big club, we've got a great fan base and history on our side surely that would be a challenge for any top manager. Why should we scraping the barrell looking at the likes of BHB? It's so disheartening!

We're better than that! As I said in a previous msg. Can you see any of our rivals appointing someone of his ilk?