Barry Bannan

villianusa

To be fair on Bannan, he hasn't played badly this season.

I stopped reading here. He has.

In comparison to other players, he hasn't.

Please name me one player who has played worse?

1) Holman

2) Herd

3) Bent

4) Clark

5) Bennett

6) Albrighton

7) Lichaj

8) Bowery

9) Delfounseo

10) El Ahmadi

To name a few.

That list is irrelevant though.

Bannan has cost us so many points it's unbelieveable! 

Like, hasn't he scored two own goals?

That header against Fulham that went into his own net and again against West Ham that nearly cost us 3 points.

Such a liability.

1) Holman

2) Herd

3) Bent

4) Clark

5) Bennett

6) Albrighton

7) Lichaj

8) Bowery

9) Delfounseo

10) El Ahmadi

To name a few.

Holman has more assists and more goals than Bannan despite playing less games.

Herd has been injured most of the season but showed a lot more promise than Bannan.

Bent has scored goals which will probably keep Villa in the league.

Clark has been a liability this season, but still scored a goal - more than Bannan - cost us a number of goals also, but it is disputable whether he has done in general worse than Bannan who has done nothing.

Bennett has had more good games than bad games and has shown signs of being a decent left back - Bannan hasn't shown he is capable of dictating a game in the manner he needs to at this level.

Albrighton is possibly the only player in the squad who is worse than Bannan. But at least he hasn't featured as much as Bannan else goodness knows where we would be... we can barely afford to carry one player like Bannan let alone two.

Lichaj has got the same number of assists as Bannan despite playing less than half the amount of games from a defensive position. A bit harsh to say he's even worse than Bannan when he is clearly a backup to one of the players of the season. I think most people would love a player of this quality as backup to Lowton.

Bowery came from League 2... give him more than a couple of games to prove himself.

Delfounso has featured in 1 game this season... this really is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

El Ahmadi hasn't been brilliant but has at least scored a goal and has only been in the country for a year... Bannan has been in the first team for 5 years... I wouldn't go as far as saying he's been worse than Bannan.

Edited by AstonMartin82

1) Holman

2) Herd

3) Bent

4) Clark

5) Bennett

6) Albrighton

7) Lichaj

8) Bowery

9) Delfounseo

10) El Ahmadi

To name a few.

Holman has more assists and more goals than Bannan despite playing less games.

Herd has been injured most of the season but showed a lot more promise than Bannan.

Bent has scored goals which will probably keep Villa in the league.

Clark has been a liability this season, but still scored a goal - more than Bannan - cost us a number of goals also, but it is disputable whether he has done in general worse than Bannan who has done nothing.

Bennett has had more good games than bad games and has shown signs of being a decent left back - Bannan hasn't shown he is capable of dictating a game in the manner he needs to at this level.

Albrighton is possibly the only player in the squad who is worse than Bannan. But at least he hasn't featured as much as Bannan else goodness knows where we would be... we can barely afford to carry one player like Bannan let alone two.

Lichaj has got the same number of assists as Bannan despite playing less than half the amount of games from a defensive position. A bit harsh to say he's even worse than Bannan when he is clearly a backup to one of the players of the season. I think most people would love a player of this quality as backup to Lowton.

Bowery came from League 2... give him more than a couple of games to prove himself.

Delfounso has featured in 1 game this season... this really is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

El Ahmadi hasn't been brilliant but has at least scored a goal and has only been in the country for a year... Bannan has been in the first team for 5 years... I wouldn't go as far as saying he's been worse than Bannan.

Holman - Holman's a winger/centre attacking midfielder, of course he's scored more goals. He started the season really well, but has since been found out as a very below average footballer.

Herd - An outdated player who offers no ability whatsoever.

Bennett - He's improved a great deal, but it doesn't detract from the absolute dire performances we saw at the start of the season. Even in these last few games he's been everything i expect a LB to be.

Clark - Yeah Clark has scored a goal this season, that goal came from a wonderful Bannan cross.

Bent - Not his fault that he's played badly. But he's still played worse than Bannan.

Albrighton - So we agree he's played worse? Good.

Lichaj - He's been meh. Bannan has been better than meh this season.

Bowery - So we agree he's played worse? Good.

Delfounseo - Played worse.

El Ahmadi - He's looked ordinary and has had 2 good games. Bannan has contributed more than him this year.

Bannan has been in the first team for 5 years...

That's the second time I've seen you say this. He really hasn't been in the first team for 5 years! His Premier league debut was on the opening day of the 2010/11 season and he got a small run of games that season when we had injury crisis. Last season under McLeish he played a bit more (mostly off the bench) and this season more still (but still only started about half our league games).

That's the second time I've seen you say this. He really hasn't been in the first team for 5 years! His Premier league debut was on the opening day of the 2010/11 season and he got a small run of games that season when we had injury crisis. Last season under McLeish he played a bit more (mostly off the bench) and this season more still (but still only started about half our league games).

He signed his first professional contract 5 years ago. He's been in and around the first team since.... not my fault he wasn't good enough to start a game.

Bannan has started 17 games, which is just under half.

W 6

D 4

L 7 

Total points: 22

Say what you like about his ability, that's not a bad record. 

Add this one to the Villa stat pile.

Most shots without a goal this season: Barry Bannan with 17

Most shots without a goal and most corners without an assist. Probably lowest crosses per goal conversion ratio also.

What a great player our creative midfielder is. I am totally shocked Lambert has dumped this guy... really.

The biggest indicator of Bannan's influence on the first team is how well we have done lately without him in the side.

I'm not a Bannan hater, but I don't think he fits into Lambert's plans/style/formations. Squad player at best.

We're still conceding goals so obviously he wasn't the negative influence people accused him of being either.

Then again, we already knew that because if you look at the goals conceded they were primarily the responsibility of another player's error.

Bannan was also accused of making us weak in midfield which put the defence under a lot of pressure. Is the defence under a lot less pressure without Bannan in the side?

Without Bannan, we still do not dominate the midfield. The two times we've really dominated the midfield this season was with Bannan.

We couldn't dominate the midfield against Fulham at Villa Park, and we've conceded goals in every match he has been left out.

If ever there was a scape-goat, it was Bannan. Some fans just can't stand a little guy running around midfield doing skilful things they don't understand.

They'd rather a burly, muscle guy charge around and flatten the opposition, even when it doesn't noticeably improve results.

Edited by Con