Barry Bannan

villianusa

Wouldn't be able to? He's done it. Fait accompli.

He really hasn't.

One assist all season when you have one of the best strikers in the world up front does not constitute a success. His crosses have been atrocious... your website falsely defines a pathetic attempt of a cross as a success even if it bounces out for a goalkick or goes straight into a keepers arms... which is what happens the majority of times on his crosses.

If you judge him with your eyes, like you do with every other Villa player on this forum other than Bannan, you will admit that he has been nothing but hopeless and a complete failure each and every way that you look at it.

Credit to Lambert for acting on what he see's on the pitch over misguided stats that are produced. Good riddance. :wave:  :wave:  :wave:  :wave:  :wave:  :wave:  :wave:  

Bannan is not a Premier league player. Said it for ages. Finally others have realised. Clark is the other one that will never make it.

To be fair I think everyone has always known it other than maybe 2 people who post here.

He was rated pretty highly coming through the academy but never got close to living up to it. Never seen a creative/attacking midfielder with so little goal threat.  

Ask yourself what he was highly-rated at. 

Bannan was not a highly-rated goal-scoring midfielder. In the academy Gary Gardner scored the goals from midfield.

Bannan was not a highly-rated dribbler.

What was he highly-rated at? Crossing. Spreading play. That is what he's good at.

It's easy to measure someone a failure when you only assess them on their weak points and ignore - or make excuses for - what they're best at. 

Bannan has actually proved what he was rated for in the academy. His crossing and corners are up there with the best in the PL, if not the best.  It's become "official fact" among you that these statistic have to be rubbish because they don't fit your narrative of Bannan being a total failure.

But they're not. You don't get them being rubbish and Bannan's the most likely to do a Gary Cahill - go to a lesser PL team then move to a Champions League team - than any other player we sell this summer.

He was rated as a guy who created chances and scored goals. He was also seen as more technical and had a good passing range. 

What i've seen is a player who is decent at passing it around the midfield but extremely rarely creates chances for other players and has no goal threat.

He was meant to be good at set-pieces but he hasn't scored a free kick or got an assist from a freekick or corner. 

Bannan will never get near a champions league team in a major league. 

• Like 2

He was rated as a guy who created chances and scored goals. He was also seen as more technical and had a good passing range. 

What i've seen is a player who is decent at passing it around the midfield but extremely rarely creates chances for other players and has no goal threat.

He was meant to be good at set-pieces but he hasn't scored a free kick or got an assist from a freekick or corner. 

Do you have statistics for Bannan's goalscoring in the academy or even the reserve league?

The reason Bannan has not scored from a direct free kick is obvious - he's not been taking them. I don't expect that to get in the way of those who criticise him though.

He has taken only about two direct free kicks ever. One of our other players, like N'Zogbia takes those, when we ever get them. Bannan scored from a free kick in last year's pre-season.

The assist count depends on the striker converting the chance, which is down to luck. If you look at the underlying key pass count, that is as high as you would expect.

Do you have statistics for Bannan's goalscoring in the academy or even the reserve league?

The reason Bannan has not scored from a direct free kick is obvious - he's not been taking them. I don't expect that to get in the way of those who criticise him though.

He has taken only about two direct free kicks ever. One of our other players, like N'Zogbia takes those, when we ever get them. Bannan scored from a free kick in last year's pre-season.

The assist count depends on the striker converting the chance, which is down to luck. If you look at the underlying key pass count, that is as high as you would expect.

He doesn't take direct free kicks because the team realise he isn't very good at them. N'Zogbia doesn't take them because he is on the pitch a lot less than Bannan... he's just rubbish con. Rubbish.

Most outfields players have more assists and goals than our creative midfielder this season. What does that tell you? That our strikers discriminate against Bannan's passes or perhaps you are talking bullshit?

Sometimes Con it takes a bigger person to admit they are wrong. Why don't you just admit Bannan is shit? Go on.

This thread should hopefully be closed in the next few weeks. There is no doubt he has no future with us and is not in Lamberts plans and rightly so.

He will end up at a Championship club and hopefully someone will be willing to pay around 1mill and Bannan should then only be talked about in off topic.

• Like 1

Bannan has some talent, I don't think his crossing is good, but I've said before and I maintain I've seen him play some cracking long passes. Granted he's not done it nowhere near consistently enough, but he has shown he has that in his locker, and I can't ignore what I've seen he can do.  

But he's still not good enough or suitable enough for where we want to be. Who knows, maybe he'll work on being stronger on the ball, and being consistent with his long ' Hollywood' balls and becomes a world-class Champions League calibre player. But I don't see it happening to be honest. 

Just in case anyone has missed this:

1. Had chat with Bannan today.. Definitely leaving according to him in summer. #avfc

2. @HowardHodgson did he give any indication on whether it would be a Premiership or championship clubs?

@gary_avfc86 Nah.. Just that he had a few offers on table. Was upset about it but said it was inevitable as no relationship with boss

12:46 PM - 11 May 13 · Details
  • Like 1

If Bannan doesn't take free kicks because "the team realise he isn't very good at them" why does he take corner kicks and angled free kicks when he is in the side? Surely the team must realise he isn't very good at them either, even though he is posting best in PL figures for accuracy and chances created.

I've criticised Bannan's play but I'm not going to say "he's shit" just because someone who doesn't like having a balanced opinion thinks that's funny.

It's a fair criticism that Bannan sometimes struggles with the pace of the Premier League in free play (not at set pieces). 60 something games is not much though, so you would expect him to improve there. A new manager will be thinking "best in PL crossing and corners - bargain. Sure we can get him playing much better than he did at Villa and sell him for double figures".

Edited by Con

Just in case anyone has missed this:

1. Had chat with Bannan today.. Definitely leaving according to him in summer. #avfc

2. @HowardHodgson did he give any indication on whether it would be a Premiership or championship clubs?

@gary_avfc86 Nah.. Just that he had a few offers on table. Was upset about it but said it was inevitable as no relationship with boss

12:46 PM - 11 May 13 · Details

tumblr_m5wb2y9CaA1r3spq2.gif

I hope this is true

One assist and no goals. Putting those stats into context, he never looked a sufficiently creative or goalscoring threat IMO. For those reasons don't buy the key pass/bad luck argument.

But he's also not the worst player in the world, non league shite or any of the other nonsense spouted on here by numpties who obviously haven't got a **** clue.

I think he's good enough to stay in this league, if he leaves maybe a promoted side may take a punt, but he might have drop down a league. His value is probably around £1M to £2M.

If he stays or goes it neither here nor there to me. I think there is something there, but I also think we can buy better and we are a bit heavy on numbers in CM. I think a powerful goalscoring midfielder is what we need, like Gerrard or Lampard.

One assist and no goals. Putting those stats into context, he never looked a sufficiently creative or goalscoring threat IMO. For those reasons don't buy the key pass/bad luck argument.

But he's also not the worst player in the world, non league shite or any of the other nonsense spouted on here by numpties who obviously haven't got a **** clue.

I think he's good enough to stay in this league, if he leaves maybe a promoted side may take a punt, but he might have drop down a league. His value is probably around £1M to £2M.

If he stays or goes it neither here nor there to me. I think there is something there, but I also think we can buy better and we are a bit heavy on numbers in CM. I think a powerful goalscoring midfielder is what we need, like Gerrard or Lampard.

Or Dembele.

Gary Gardner could be the player.