Barry Bannan

villianusa

I thought successful teams were supposed to defend from the front!

N'Zogbia or Ireland would probably be better placed to play in that position.

As an attacking midfielder I haven't seen enough of Bannan to convince me he's good enough to play that role.

As an attacking midfielder I haven't seen enough of Bannan to convince me he's good enough to play that role.

Bannan's done way more than Ireland and N'Zogbia this season. If anyone deserves to play in the playmaker role it's him.

Bannan's done way more than Ireland and N'Zogbia this season. If anyone deserves to play in the playmaker role it's him.

I'd rather give Gardner a chance in the Bannan position. Hes creative, he scores goal for fun, can tackle and has the physique for an Alex McLiesh team perhaps. Add height to the midfield. Not like he is 16 or owt. He's 20 next year, deserve at least a few minutes now. Has been a constant and consistant performer for the reserves/youths and is now beggining to get minutes under his belt for England 21s.

If not, I'd play Bannan there and send Gardner on loan.

Not convinced by him. Would be happy if we sold him in the transfer window.
What makes you so convinced by Ireland and N'Zogbia?

I really don't understand this. We have one of our best performers this season and a really bright prospect and you think he should be sold? :?

N'Zogbia and Ireland have both proven they can play consistently well at the highest level (Ireland not so recently!).

Bannan for me never has. OK he scored a penalty (his only goal in 20 league games) and you've admitted he's rubbish defensively.

Therefore he doesn't score (from open play), he can't defend - he's a floater in the middle! Games are about goals.

N'Zogbia and Ireland have both proven they can play consistently well at the highest level (Ireland not so recently!).

Bannan for me never has. OK he scored a penalty (his only goal in 20 league games) and you've admitted he's rubbish defensively.

Therefore he doesn't score (from open play), he can't defend - he's a floater in the middle! Games are about goals.

Well they haven't proven it at Villa, and that's what counts.

But Bannan has played consistently well. It remains to be seen whether he can keep it up but he's done really well so far.

What's to say he won't score from open play? Who cares if he can't defend? That's the defenders and Herd and Petrov's job. Bannan is our creator.

I really don't understand this. We have one of our best performers this season and a really bright prospect and you think he should be sold? :?

Listen to Mantis. He is seldom wrong.

Was that sarcasm? :P

I would've thought what I've said on Bannan is something most people can agree on.

Houllier never did get us into the Champions League did he :lol:

Houllier never did get us into the Champions League did he :lol:

I think you have me mistaken with Steaknchips. :? When did I say anything LIKE that?

Was that sarcasm? :P

I would've thought what I've said on Bannan is something most people can agree on.

No, no sarcasm. That is my sincerely held belief. (hahaa, now you're REALLY wondering :))

Yeah i think most people would agree on BB, but not many of the recent posters on this thread.

Some Villa fans never cease to amaze me. Bannan is by far the best player at the club now and some of you would flog him.

I actually think he probably is our best player on his day, but not a country mile ahead of the likes of Agbonlahor, Bent, Petrov & Dunne.

Some Villa fans never cease to amaze me. Bannan is by far the best player at the club now and some of you would flog him.

I actually think he probably is our best player on his day, but not a country mile ahead of the likes of Agbonlahor, Bent, Petrov & Dunne.

This. :thumb:

Anyone calling for Bannan to be left out on purely footballing grounds needs their head examined. He's easily the most naturally gifted footballer to come through the ranks in my lifetime. He always wants the ball, he's composed when he gets it and he rarely gives it away.

I honestly think that if he was at a bigger club, or if he was English, the media would be all over him. Whatever about those halfwits it's a shame that some of his own supporters can't spot or don't appreciate technical brilliance when it's staring them in the face. Some people on here would obviously rather a midfield made up entirely of 6ft-plus, aerially dominant, box-to-box athletes.

He's been a ray of light in an otherwise underwhelming season and while his misdeeds shouldn't be condoned (obviously), we need to get him back in the team as soon as possible.

Please.