Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

He shouldnt be selling Downing.. He needs to find out why he wants out.. Are we lacking in ambition? Are there problems behind the scenes?

Why has a happy player who got player of the season for the club.Then on the Villa site had a conversation with fans saying he loves the club and cant wait to sign a new contract..All of a sudden decided he wants to leave to play for a club on a similar standing to us? Whats upset him at Villa?

The only thing thats changed since his converstaion on the Villa site to now, is the manager...

Funny, because his comments came on the 26th may, 5 days before Houllier had even left the club and 3 weeks before a manager was appointed.

So what absolute bollocks. Nothing had changed between his first set of comments and then his next comments.

So Houllier stepping down was a factor? Maybe the McLeish appointment wasnt the reason but it certainly hasnt given him a change of heart. So was this an appointment thats fits in with the club? As GK clearly suggested the club were looking for?

Nothing to do with Downing ...

Everything to do with Downing..But from loving the club and having no problems commiting, to player desperate enough now to hand in a trans request to join a club on a similar standing, obviously somthing has changed.

The only thing that changed during that timeline was the manager.. So it must play the biggest part in his decission to jump ship. Didnt Houllier recieve his test results on the 23rd? Then on the 26th Downing comes out and says he isnt signing a new contract? Strange!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up till now I have stayed away from this thread, as quite frankly I find it depressing.

Could someone please tell me if there are any direct quotes from the man himself that show he wants to leave?

to join a club on a similar standing, obviously somthing has changed.

WE ARE NOT ON A SIMILAR STANDING TO LIVERPOOL!!!

SNAP OUT OF IT...STOP KIDDING YOURSELF!!!

LIVERPOOL A HUGE WORLD WIDE BRAND WITH BETTER PLAYERS!!!

He shouldnt be selling Downing.. He needs to find out why he wants out.. Are we lacking in ambition? Are there problems behind the scenes?

Why has a happy player who got player of the season for the club.Then on the Villa site had a conversation with fans saying he loves the club and cant wait to sign a new contract..All of a sudden decided he wants to leave to play for a club on a similar standing to us? Whats upset him at Villa?

The only thing thats changed since his converstaion on the Villa site to now, is the manager...

Funny, because his comments came on the 26th may, 5 days before Houllier had even left the club and 3 weeks before a manager was appointed.

So what absolute bollocks. Nothing had changed between his first set of comments and then his next comments.

So Houllier stepping down was a factor? Maybe the McLeish appointment wasnt the reason but it certainly hasnt given him a change of heart. So was this an appointment thats fits in with the club? As GK clearly suggested the club were looking for?

Nothing to do with Downing ...

Everything to do with Downing..But from loving the club and having no problems commiting, to player desperate enough now to hand in a trans request to join a club on a similar standing, obviously somthing has changed.

The only thing that changed during that timeline was the manager.. So it must play the biggest part in his decission to jump ship. Didnt Houllier recieve his test results on the 23rd? Then on the 26th Downing comes out and says he isnt signing a new contract? Strange!

Just to quickly point out, Liverpool are a much bigger club than us.

but nothing to do with McLeish which is your main agenda.

Okay, here's the point you are making with your comments.

Downing loved Houllier.

There you go, end of debate then.

Your living in the past mate..

Try looking at recent history of the 2 clubs in all areas.

Villa have a better ground, better training facilities, more modern and up to date in every area, more kids coming through, better finacially, richer owner and better players running deeper..

Liverpool are a good/average side in and around 6th place, just like we are.

We finished above them last but one season ago and last season we had massive injuries and in house problems, yet still we started to get it together towards the end of the season beating them and climbing the table...

Liverpool as a global brand? You mean Asia buying their shirts? Try looking at how many City,Man U ansd Chelsea shirts are bought there last year and how fast they are growing globaly in comparison.. The world fan base changes with success..Liverpool "need" to win the league and quickly if they want to remain a big club...The pressure is far more on their shoulders than ours. We are growing very steadily and have a better infrastucture in place at this time.

Liverpool are living off their past which is slowly getting forgotten about with the emergence of the big boys.

Your living in the past mate..

Villa have a better ground, better training facilities, more modern and up to date in every area, more kids coming through, better finacially, richer owner and better players running deeper..

We finished above them last but one season ago and last season we had massive injuries and in house problems, yet still we started to get it together towards the end of the season beating them and climbing the table...

Liverpool as a global brand? You mean Asia buying their shirts? Try looking at how many City,Man U ansd Chelsea shirts are bought there last year and how fast they are growing globaly in comparison.. The world fan base changes with success..Liverpool "need" to win the league and quickly if they want to remain a big club...The pressure is far more on their shoulders than ours. We are growing very steadily and have a better infrastucture in place at this time.

Liverpool are living off their past which is slowly getting forgotten about with the emergence of the big boys.

I dont think we as Villa fans can say they're the ones living off their past!

Not that its a completely accurate guide of how many fans a club has but just take a look at the facebook thread... they have over 6 million more "facebook fans" than we do.

I dont like defending them but ffs they are a more attractive club than us... FACT!

Since the turn of the century,

Liverpool honours -

2 FA Cups

2 Charity Shields

2 League Cups

1 Champions League Winner

1 Champions League Runner-up

1 UEFA Cup

Aston Villa honours -

1 Intertoto Cup

Think that pretty much ends the arguement.

Their past is more recent than ours FFS!!

Hate the wreath layers but they are a way bigger club than us and have far more pull in the transfer market than us!!!

Look at it this way steak your beloved Ged thought the plop were bigger than us!!

Liverpool honours - 2 FA Cups

2 Charity Shields

2 League Cups

1 UEFA Cup

Aston Villa honours - 1 Intertoto Cup

They havnt won nothing in 5 years mate.. And now at the stage where they are struggling to regain a CL place.Let alone a Europa spot.

This is why I cannot understand Downing wanting to leave.. Top 4 fair enough..

Liverpool honours - 2 FA Cups

2 Charity Shields

2 League Cups

1 UEFA Cup

Aston Villa honours - 1 Intertoto Cup

They havnt won nothing in 5 years mate.. And now at the stage where they are struggling to regain a CL place.Let alone a Europa spot.

This is why I cannot understand Downing wanting to leave.. Top 4 fair enough..

With the signing they have made and with the signings they are looking to pull of...i hate to say it but Liverpool will challenge next season.

They are a bigger, more prestigous, more successful club than Aston Villa.

I love Aston Villa as much as anyone on this board, but im not stupid enough to kid myself into believing that we are something that we are not. We are a mid-table/top half PL team, we are a feeder club to the big boys. Liverpool are and always will be one of the big boys.

Accept it and move on.

Living in the past. There is barely a single player on this earth who'd chose Villa over Liverpool if you said to them "here is 40k a week, you will play every game".....Liverpool are a huge club, a lot bigger than us. It's embarrassing that there is even a debate on it. Absolutely laughable.

Living in the past. There is barely a single player on this earth who'd chose Villa over Liverpool if you said to them "here is 40k a week, you will play every game".....Liverpool are a huge club, a lot bigger than us. It's embarrassing that there is even a debate on it. Absolutely laughable.

I cant believe im even rising to it...i feel so ashamed! :oops:

LIVERPOOL A HUGE WORLD WIDE BRAND!!!

Spot on.

steaknchips, no offence but I think you should travel bit more, if you think Liverpools fanbase is about asia. Sadly, and forgetting less than 20's generation, in continental Europe Liverpool FC equals to English Premier league. Strong, really strong fanbase from scandinavia-russia to southern europe. Traditionally symphaties goes to these muppets, rather than the new boys ManU. Here of course they are has-been-shit, that's all.

Liverpool are obviously bigger than us but I certainly don't think they're as relevant today as they used to be. Sure their deluded fans will be talking about how this year is the year they win the Premier League but in reality they'll be fighting it out with Spurs for 5th.

Up till now I have stayed away from this thread, as quite frankly I find it depressing.

Could someone please tell me if there are any direct quotes from the man himself that show he wants to leave?

Dug out some quotes from Stewart Downing.

From this:

Yes, I am happy here. There is speculation that players are going to clubs all the time but I am happy here. Since the first day I came here I have enjoyed every minute

A lot of faith went into me when Martin paid a lot of money for me when I was injured

On a personal note I want to do well because the club put a lot of faith in me

It's a family club. You feel very welcome and there's a great environment. I love the fact the team has great ambition for the future

I'm looking forward to next season already. We're looking to really progress

I am thoroughly enjoying my time at Villa. Even though it's been a frustrating season, I see the bigger picture and the ambition of the club

It’s part and parcel of being a player and doing well. Ever since I was young I’ve read stories saying ‘you’re going here, you’re going there.' Obviously if you have a good season you get linked, but I’m happy here

There are terrific players here. I’m confident, despite this season, that we’re going in the right direction and, if we get the right players in, then I’m happy

The important thing in football is if you’re happy, then why change it. I know it’s been a disappointing season but I can see the bigger picture

To this

My agent had a recent meeting with our chief executive. However, I am 26, and at a major crossroads in my career, so I won't be committing to a new deal at the moment

I want to keep playing and enjoying my football. When I was injured that made me realise what it can be like to be out for such a long time. It hurt. The most important thing is to play football, but I do want to play in the Champions League at some point

With England as well, all the top players play in good teams. I'm no different

You just want the best for your career. You want to finish with medals at the end of it so, if it's a step up with Villa or with someone else, then I'm ready for it

You watch teams in the Champions League and it makes you wish you were there. You sit at home and watch it, hear the music come on, you see the teams and you think 'that's where you want to be.

It's the pinnacle. It's the best. It's the best standard with the best players. It would be nice to taste that one day

My agent had a meeting with the club - just one meeting - and he just felt it was the right time not to sign my contract

Will I be at Villa next season? I'm not sure

You hope they do (understand) but normal fans will want you to stay at their club for the rest of your life. If you do leave there's obviously a bit of bitterness there

You hope they do understand because, it's like any job, if there's a better job on hand, or a better level to do it, then people do it

It's up to their fans and their opinions of me. If they want to be loud and clear with what they think of me, then that's fine

:|

I want to keep playing and enjoying my football. When I was injured that made me realise what it can be like to be out for such a long time. It hurt. The most important thing is to play football, but I do want to play in the Champions League at some point.

You watch teams in the Champions League and it makes you wish you were there. You sit at home and watch it, hear the music come on, you see the teams and you think 'that's where you want to be.

It's the pinnacle. It's the best. It's the best standard with the best players. It would be nice to taste that one day.

So I take it you won't be going to Liverpool then Stewart? Seeing as though Liverpool are not in the Champions League next season, nor are they in the Europa League...

Â