Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

And as for Downing, for 20m he can **** off. He aint that good!

One good season, and that's good, not very good, not brilliant and way way from exceptional. His goals this season have taken away from the fact that he is a pretty average player, good at best. He can't take a man on and always shys from any tackle and his passing isn't anything amazing. Decent crosser of the ball and gets a few goals but surely a better foreign replacement can be found for less than £20m. We will miss Ashley Young far more than any of the players who have left us and 1 million times more than we would Downing. We payed an over the odds £12m for him when he had pins in his leg and had to sit and watch him play below average for most of his first season then he has one good season and wants out. Champions league quality? You're having a laugh!

Wow how very bitter. Yes he is hardly a world-beater but he was far-and-away our best player last season, surely then to call him "pretty average" is a sad indictment of how low we have sung as a football club.

If you think better foreign players are going to suddenly start to join us when our best players are leaving left, right and centre, then you are delusional. English players are over-priced and over-rated, but they are still the most suited to this league.

Not down to bitterness at all, if you notice I have praised Ashley Young in the same post, if it was just bitterness I would be calling him crap too like a lot of people have once they realised he was leaving. Downing is not as good as any of the players that have left us, Barry, Milner or Young in my opinion. Of course I'm bitter that he has one good season after we forked out £12m for him when he was on crutches and then he wants to leave but my assessment of him as a player is just an honest one. If it was just down to bitterness I would be saying the same about Barry, Milner and Young but I think they are all a class above Downing.

Why do you hate him so much?

Makes me sick when people say '**** him off and get a foreigner in'. What the hell, a foreigner that might not cut it in the PL... yeah and you talk about wasting £12M on Downing...

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of years ago I got royally slagged off for suggesting that we had to keep spending big money in order to fulfill any ambition of top four and if Randy didn't have that money he should find someone who did. I still believe that to be the case.

What you fail to accept is that there are no oligarch's, Sheik's or Columbian chemist's forming an orderly que to buy Villa, so we're better off with Randy Lerner.

How do we know until we start looking? I mean how were they available for Citeh? The Inidan bloke who has just pulled out of QPR is worth a bob or two I believe.

How do you know there are none available? Just wait for the next club to bought out and come bak and tell me there are none

Richard, New rich owners dont always make it better.

Look at where brand new owners nearly got Plop

Look at Notts County's brand new owner

Is Abramovich really fulfilling potential at Chelsea

How many rich guys have taken over Pompy?

It has to be the right man. It has to be a man who cares for the club and steps in when its going to the dogs financially - Randy lerner!!

Whatever you say about manager appointment, players like downing leaving etc. - We STILL exist!!!

We had better sign N'Zogbia or Shaqiri if we lose Downing. Without Downing and Young I'm expecting a bloody good winger to come in. If not then we are well and truly in the shit.

I think your being too negative Richard I really do.

Yes and I can see why you and others would feel that really I do. But I am afraid what you see as negativity I see as realsm. Just take your next thoughts as an example of why....

We couldnt carry on spending, because in hindsight, the bloke spending wasnt spending wisely. Furthermore, he wasnt using most players to make them saleable assets in the future.

Now, I firmly believe that (because we havent got a bottomless pit) that we need to get to a position where we can start again - That means a couple of shite transition seasons whereby we sell lots and dont buy much. Its crap, I know. But if in a couple of seasons, it means we can have another decent go at it then so be it.

But you see in the times we then have shite transitions selling loads and not buying much other clubs will buy better players, they will not be similarly standing still. This means not only do we move even further behind the top six but also behind those in the next tier. For me this league is like that you have spend to stand still

And as for Downing, for 20m he can **** off. He aint that good!

One good season, and that's good, not very good, not brilliant and way way from exceptional. His goals this season have taken away from the fact that he is a pretty average player, good at best. He can't take a man on and always shys from any tackle and his passing isn't anything amazing. Decent crosser of the ball and gets a few goals but surely a better foreign replacement can be found for less than £20m. We will miss Ashley Young far more than any of the players who have left us and 1 million times more than we would Downing. We payed an over the odds £12m for him when he had pins in his leg and had to sit and watch him play below average for most of his first season then he has one good season and wants out. Champions league quality? You're having a laugh!

Wow how very bitter. Yes he is hardly a world-beater but he was far-and-away our best player last season, surely then to call him "pretty average" is a sad indictment of how low we have sung as a football club.

If you think better foreign players are going to suddenly start to join us when our best players are leaving left, right and centre, then you are delusional. English players are over-priced and over-rated, but they are still the most suited to this league.

Not down to bitterness at all, if you notice I have praised Ashley Young in the same post, if it was just bitterness I would be calling him crap too like a lot of people have once they realised he was leaving. Downing is not as good as any of the players that have left us, Barry, Milner or Young in my opinion. Of course I'm bitter that he has one good season after we forked out £12m for him when he was on crutches and then he wants to leave but my assessment of him as a player is just an honest one. If it was just down to bitterness I would be saying the same about Barry, Milner and Young but I think they are all a class above Downing.

Why do you hate him so much?

Makes me sick when people say '**** him off and get a foreigner in'. What the hell, a foreigner that might not cut it in the PL... yeah and you talk about wasting £12M on Downing...

I don't hate him, I just don't rate him (well not as high as others do), I don't like the way he has treated the club but I guess that is syptomatic of the modern day footballer.

Downing wants to leave because we're a sinking ship with no hope of any decent future.

:lol:

What ever?

Villa fans are ridiculous, we deserve all this no future malarkey.

Could you stop sucking off the board for once?

You would think after the McLeish appointment you would stop doing it. But no! Here you are still happily slagging off fans when all they expect are better things for the club, not a downwards slope.

Downing wants to leave because we're a sinking ship with no hope of any decent future.

What ever?

You would think after the McLeish appointment you would stop doing it. But no! Here you are still happily slagging off fans when all they expect are better things for the club, not a downwards slope.

The season hasnt started yet, How can you say its a donwards slope??

We should say no to the Downing move...He has 2 years left on his contract, so we can get another season out of him and still sell him next season for the same amount.

He is awesome with Albrighton and they read each other's game well. He was the player coming in on the far post to side foot Albrighton's deliverys into the net many a times last season.

Slagging off fans?

Hmm not really.

Oh and there is a difference to wanting the best and just constant abuse the board get and not understanding how things can change.

We're not going to win the league, we're not going to finish top 4 and everyone moans about the europa league anyway.

So what do people want?

We're starting a fresh as it were, i dont want players who dont want to play for Villa and that includes Downing.

We need players and i'm sure they will be signed.

Get over it and just enjoy supporting your club.

What ever?

Easy. Look how many players we've lost already. The players who mainly played a part of keeping us up last season. If Downing leaves, we are ****. We've seen how isolated Bent is without any decent service. I doubt McLeish will spend money (that's if he gets a decent amount) on filling the void of quite a few spots (GK, RB, Midfield, Wings) with his name and the fact we're a least attractive option than we were. The kids aren't good enough to keep us up as we saw last season. McLeish isn't even that good of a manager in general, so that alone is a backwards step.

A couple of years ago I got royally slagged off for suggesting that we had to keep spending big money in order to fulfill any ambition of top four and if Randy didn't have that money he should find someone who did. I still believe that to be the case.

What you fail to accept is that there are no oligarch's, Sheik's or Columbian chemist's forming an orderly que to buy Villa, so we're better off with Randy Lerner.

How do we know until we start looking? I mean how were they available for Citeh? The Inidan bloke who has just pulled out of QPR is worth a bob or two I believe.

How do you know there are none available? Just wait for the next club to bought out and come bak and tell me there are none

How do you know Lerner isn't looking?

(Indian bloke, QPR? has he got as much as Lerner?)

What you want is an owner with the spending power of Sheik Mansour and unfortunately there just aren't that many about. You also have to be careful for what you wish for.

I started a thread about investment born out of reports about the NFL lockout and the financial implications for Villa. In this I suggested 3 ways in which things could go.

I don't think Lerner should be berated and lambasted for what he's done for Aston Villa.

Easy. Look how many players we've lost already. The players who mainly played a part of keeping us up last season. If Downing leaves, we are ****. We've seen how isolated Bent is without any decent service. I doubt McLeish will spend money (that's if he gets a decent amount) on filling the void of quite a few spots (GK, RB, Midfield, Wings) with his name and the fact we're a least attractive option than we were. The kids aren't good enough to keep us up as we saw last season. McLeish isn't even that good of a manager in general, so that alone is a backwards step.

See i would be saying this........ if the season started this afternoon!

Your acting as if nothing will be done, at least give them a chance to do nothing.

We should say no to the Downing move...He has 2 years left on his contract, so we can get another season out of him and still sell him next season for the same amount.

He is awesome with Albrighton and they read each other's game well. He was the player coming in on the far post to side foot Albrighton's deliverys into the net many a times last season.

I would normally agree with you. However, I am growing tired of these players that only care about themselves. If they don't want to play for us then **** them. Seriously, I'm sick of it all.

If we can get good money for Downing I say why not as it is clear he has been tapped up, however my concerns are our owner (who has taken us as far as he can IMHO) giving McLeish the money, and McLeish attracting the quality we need.

What ever?

Key word in there: "doubt". You know as much as any of us where the money received from the Young transfer/Downing potential transfer will go.

Kids get better with age and experience, and hardly disgraced themselves last season did they?

PRE-season hasn't even started yet and you're already speculating on whether we're going to go down based on our squad. Come on, even the most negative fan should surely be fair enough to give McLeish a pre-season before judgments are made. The negativity on here that often transfers to Villa Park is as bigger problem as anything.

I'd sell him and move on! Think he's easily replaced, Young is the one I worry about.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks like this, Young has been a good/very good player for 4 seasons now. Unfortunately he had been a victim of his own success with fans expecting him to maintain the standard he had set in his second season. Despite being marked by 2 players on numerous occassions he has still been our best player for the past 2 seasons. His crossing and set pieces have not been as good as they used to be but we will miss him more than anyone that has left us since Dwight Yorke went.

See i would be saying this........ if the season started this afternoon!

Your acting as if nothing will be done, at least give them a chance to do nothing.

I'm seeing exactly the same comments from you when we was looking for a new manager. You thought there was no way we we would appoint McLeish and look what happened...You became rather confused and frightened that the board alienated you. But here you are back to defending them thinking that something is being done behind the scenes like they've got everything planned.

It does look like we have to use the kids and Randy is pocketing the money for himself. Randy has spent absolutely nothing of his money since the beginning of 2009. I'll allow you to work that one out. But if you wanna bury your head in the sand and think everything is alright then carry on...

Â