Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

No real surprise. Why would a 26 year old in top form committ to a club, who spent most of the season just above the relegation. With managerial situation up in the air - and quite feasibly a manager who is out of depth, only half fit still running the show.

Might be a wake up call to the board (heaven knows they need one !)

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can't believe that a player could have that much of a turnaround in two weeks, particularly two weeks that have seen us beat arsenal away and liverpool....

either the contract talks went very very badly, or he was just trying to con people into voting for him as player of the year!!!

Maradona, one thing I learned over the past season and a half is that players care about themselves, money, fame and the team....usually in that order.

It's sad, but as I hear about some of the things said and done by OUR players...., my innocent and naive thoughts about sport begin to change. It's a business and the players are huge earners who get advice from people who all have their own personal angle...etc. Comments to the press about great club, history, the fans...etc. are usually pr.

You seemed surprised by this.

Players have always and will always be like that.

Might aswell sell him this summer so. Another player using us as a stepping stone. We need players who are committed to the club not just here to get an england cap and then f%^k off somewhere else.

Football, im afraid to say, is a load of bollocks.

This.

i don't understand the upside for downing of saying that he won't sign a new contract now, because he's at a crossroads etc... its not as if the clubs that may want to buy him need to read the press to see what his state of mind is.... the only thing that something like that would do is piss off the very fans that just voted him player of the year....

muppet!!!

May 11th, Downing said this - There’s terrific players. I’m confident, despite this season, we’re going in the right direction and if we get the right players in then I’m happy".

The last 10 words are the most important and for me shows that nothing has really changed, he's just saying it in a different way.

not sure how that would help him secure a better contract....

if i were dj, i would be saying, i love the club. the fans love me. despite everyone looking to leave, i intend to stay loyal. i am your player of the year - build your team around me. nice big fat contract please, mr lerner...

He's just setting himself up for contract negotiations. Nothing more.

I think its more a come and get me hint

Being A Villa fan we would think that, but this kind of thing happens at most clubs with most of their bigger players before contract time.

Rooney is a prime example.

not sure how that would help him secure a better contract....

if i were dj, i would be saying, i love the club. the fans love me. despite everyone looking to leave, i intend to stay loyal. i am your player of the year - build your team around me. nice big fat contract please, mr lerner...

It helps him get a new contract because it tells the club he has other options and is willing to look at them. If we think he's nailed on to sign, we'll offer worse terms.

I remember Ian Taylor coming out years back under Gregory and saying something along the lines he wasn't happy with being on a lower wage than other players because of his loyalty to Villa and if they took this piss, he'd be forced to look at other options. Shortly after, he got a much improved contract. It's the same sort of thing, except Downing is much more likely to call Villa's bluff.

my point being, why on earth does he need to issue a come and get me plea in the tabloid press... there are probably five or six clubs that he wants to go to... i'm sure if he wanted to be in play, his agent would be in touch with their scouts / managers to see if there was appetite... the press is there for the benefit of the fans....

Â