Goal Line Technology

wiggyrichard

Should FIFA bring in goal line technology?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Should FIFA bring in goal line technology?

• Yes
    • No

The main point is for me is that, as other sports have found, if you have the technology so that questionable decisions are played over and over again on the television, the credibility and authority of referees will be undermined if they can't use this technology themselves to make their decisions better.

Eventually, Sepp and all traditionalists will have to concede, I think.

Why couldn't everything be appealed? I thought the problem here was poor decisions? Any poor decision can have an enormous effect of the game. So you have to allow any decision to be reviewed.

No, it's all about game changing decisions, not every decision.

Any decision can be game changing.

The ref wrongly didn't give a foul, and they scored.

The ref wrongly awarded a throw, they scored from it.

The ref gives a yellow wrongly early in a match, the defender then is sent off late on for another yellow, his team lose.

And on and on it goes.

You would be okay with that? Ok with that sort of thing happening in countless games every weekend just to avoid the odd bad decision once in a while?

Well... no, i wouldn't be. Maybe there should be an appealing system for certain things, goal line, offside, red cards maybe...

I'm not too sure what the actual answer is, and i understand and respect your view and to an extent, i agree with it.

But i do believe something can be done for it to work.

So yeah as i said, you'd use them only when necessary...

Simply question. Do you think they would only be used when necessary or do you accept that managers would miss use the system to their advantage?

I have said that only certain situation could be appealed.

So yeah as i said, you'd use them only when necessary...

Simply question. Do you think they would only be used when necessary or do you accept that managers would miss use the system to their advantage?

And yeah, They will manipulate and abuse it completely. I agree with you there.

You would be okay with that? Ok with that sort of thing happening in countless games every weekend just to avoid the odd bad decision once in a while?

Well... no, i wouldn't be. Maybe there should be an appealing system for certain things, goal line, offside, red cards maybe...

I'm not too sure what the actual answer is, and i understand and respect your view and to an extent, i agree with it.

But i do believe something can be done for it to work.

Likewise mate, I respect your opinion and that of others I just don't share it, it doesn't make me right or wrong.

The odd thing is though for me, part of the great thing about the game is the differences of opinion and the debates. The game may well be better with technology, or more accurate anyway but it might just be a little more dull as well.

Because an appealing system is a compromise from nothing being appealed which is very frustrating when it goes against you, to everything being appealed because it would ruin the game.

...And that solves nothing, and opens up reams of other problems.

The frustration is an aspect of this game. It's horrific when it happens but glorious when you get it go for you. And theres an enjoyment at wrongness of the decision - it's part of the fun.

I'm growing frustrated, in a bad way, myself that so many don't get this at all.

Why couldn't everything be appealed? I thought the problem here was poor decisions? Any poor decision can have an enormous effect of the game. So you have to allow any decision to be reviewed.

No, it's all about game changing decisions, not every decision.

Any decision can be game changing.

The ref wrongly didn't give a foul, and they scored.

The ref wrongly awarded a throw, they scored from it.

The ref gives a yellow wrongly early in a match, the defender then is sent off late on for another yellow, his team lose.

And on and on it goes.

I understand your point but technology would be used for situations directly influencing a game rather than indirectly.

I understand your point but technology would be used for situations directly influencing a game rather than indirectly.

Well then, your proposal is impotently flawed. And solves nothing, going only to degrade the game.

Leave it alone.

The frustration is an aspect of this game. It's horrific when it happens but glorious when you get it go for you. And theres an enjoyment at wrongness of the decision - it's part of the fun.

Maybe i'm just a pessimist who only remembers when it goes against you rather then for you?

So how do you say which incidents influence a game and which don't?

For instance something as simple as a missed foul in the other half of the pitch could lead to a goal or a sending off or even a throw in.

I'm not sure how you can say what is and isn't a decision that influences the game.

Because an appealing system is a compromise from nothing being appealed which is very frustrating when it goes against you, to everything being appealed because it would ruin the game.

...And that solves nothing, and opens up reams of other problems.

Many posters are saying this but does the Lampard non-goal add to the game? Is the controversy all part of the fun?

Or is it just bullshit that is easily solvable?

So how do you say which incidents influence a game and which don't?

For instance something as simple as a missed foul in the other half of the pitch could lead to a goal or a sending off or even a throw in.

I'm not sure how you can say what is and isn't a decision that influences the game.

Directly influence a game, i.e. a goal.

A foul in the box could not be appealed, that would be in the rules.

Many posters are saying this but does the Lampard non-goal add to the game? Is the controversy all part of the fun?

Yes, it does. It adds to the emotion of the game, to the culture of it. The fact we're having this debate is an example of that right now.

It is part of the fun. It's screaming at your mate over a pint that 'THAT WAS IN!'. Or '**** off mate, thats a foul in an under 9s game!'. It's maddening, it's frustrating, it's horrendous, it's glorious.

I'm vaguely disturbed so few seem to get this.

EDIT - and it certainly isn't easy to solve, as you've failed thus far to do so.

Only it isn't is it. Because you are struggling to demonstrate a system in which it could be solved without damaging the game.

Damaging or just changing?

Trent - would you have any problems with a chip in the ball that JUST demonstrates when a ball does cross the line for a goal and when it doesn't. Forget everything else for now, just a simple system to distinguish what is a goal, and what isnt.

Then everything else can be left to the refs?

Yes, it does. It adds to the emotion of the game, to the culture of it. The fact we're having this debate is an example of that right now.

It is part of the fun. It's screaming at your mate over a pint that 'THAT WAS IN!'. Or '**** off mate, thats a foul in an under 9s game!'. It's maddening, it's frustrating, it's horrendous, it's glorious.

I'm vaguely disturbed so few seem to get this.

EDIT - and it certainly isn't easy to solve, as you've failed thus far to do so.

I understand your POV but I like to think football is about the players and not a man in black making decisions, rightly and wrongly.

Directly influence a game, i.e. a goal.

A foul could not in the box could not be appealed, that would be in the rules.

So a decision inside the box directly influences a game but one outside the box doesn't directly influence the game?

What about decisions when its not clear if a foul happened inside the box or outside? Can they be appealed? Do they directly influence the game?

So can teams appeal things in their own penalty area? At what point can they appeal them?

Say something happens which isn't a foul but a manager sees the ball drop to a player who is about to knock it in so appeals. What then? How immediate is the appeal?

How does the game restart? A drop ball? What if the appeal fails, there was no foul but then the opposition has been stopped from scoring a goal? You still think thats a simple system that improves the game?

Â