The New Condem Government

bickster

Bonus is a % of pay earned in 12 months.

I know - which is one of the reasons why I have a problem whenever John Lewis is trotted out as some sort of model of employee ownership or benchmark of good corporate practice (it may well be a better employer than most but I'm not sure that's too difficult). Edited by snowychap

Profit-sharing bonuses are a hangover from paternalistic capitalism, when it was assumed workers were too feckless to save.

The bonuses were usually paid out at specific times of the year like Christmas or late spring (summer clothes bought) when certain expenses arose.

But in reality it is only deferred pay and there is little evidence that they actually improve performance, because the lead-swingers get exactly they same as the grafters.

If bonuses don't do much good for the workers they are actually damaging in the boardroom, where self-interested short-term strategies often damage the business.

I always consider the decline of the M&S brand started when they were handing out huge bonuses to their boardroom. 

This merely encouraged the head honcho to cut quality and increase margins for a quick increase in profits and boardroom bonuses, which damaged M&S's reputation for quality at a good price.

The whole obsession with incentivising every activity within business and government is just one of the legacies of the 1980s, when business gurus like Rosabeth Kanter did a lot to promote the idea.

The philosophy continued to be a feature of New Labour's thinking, with predictable results. 

Bonus is a % of pay earned in 12 months.

I know - which is one of the reasons why I have a problem whenever John Lewis is trotted out as some sort of model of employee ownership or benchmark of good corporate practice (it may well be a better employer than most but I'm not sure that's too difficult).

I understand. Yet at the sametime they do show businesses don't have to be run the way most are. They can do well, treat their staff well and keep good leadership, while at the same time behaving responsibly. They might not be the ultimate ideal, but they're good. if only more were like them

• Like 3

I understand. Yet at the sametime they do show businesses don't have to be run the way most are. They can do well, treat their staff well and keep good leadership, while at the same time behaving responsibly. They might not be the ultimate ideal, but they're good. if only more were like them

I mostly agree though there is a danger of viewing John Lewis (and its practices) in a relatively uncritical way because they are not other businesses and then idealizing the company and its practices (some of which are as 'sharp' as any other business).

At one end of the scale people cannot afford to feed themselves, are resorted to using food banks and having their much needed benefits taken away at every opportunity.

At the other end of the scale the rich are getting richer, getting tax breaks or avoiding tax altogether.

This has been the trend all under the watch of conservative, labour & the liberal democrat governance. UKIP blame the Romanians.

All as bad as each other.

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/5346048?1400399463

• Like 3

At one end of the scale people cannot afford to feed themselves, are resorted to using food banks and having their much needed benefits taken away at every opportunity.

At the other end of the scale the rich are getting richer, getting tax breaks or avoiding tax altogether.

This has been the trend all under the watch of conservative, labour & the liberal democrat governance. UKIP blame the Romanians.

All as bad as each other.

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/5346048?1400399463

I know Stewart Lee is not to everyone's taste but he gives Barlow a proper mauling with this: http://tinyurl.com/q8rsfsu

• Like 1

Didn't the Tories promise an end to corruption, and the greenest government ever?

I must have imagined it because they appear to have managed to kill two birds with one stone here (pun intended).

http://tompride.wordpress.com/2014/05/18/heres-the-real-reason-the-tories-are-allowing-the-destruction-of-robin-eggs-and-nests/

Edited by Kingfisher
  • Like 1

Anybody intending to vote on Thursday, get a good nights sleep. Otherwise you may inadvertently put and X in the UKIP box.

Remember. Tiredness makes you racist.

I will definitely put an x  in the UKIP box.

Anybody intending to vote on Thursday, get a good nights sleep. Otherwise you may inadvertently put and X in the UKIP box.

I will definitely put an x in the UKIP box.
Aww bless. Go to bed.

Aww bless. Go to bed.

Wide awake .

Aww bless. Go to bed.

Wide awake .

I take it you agree with their tax and NHS policies too then?

Aww bless. Go to bed.

Wide awake .

I take it you agree with their tax and NHS policies too then?

Trolling on VT?

I never thought that I would see the day

It's a democracy. Leave the guy alone.

Edited by thetrees

By asking a legitimate question? Go and do some plane spotting or whatever it is you actually do. :)

It wasn't legitimate, it was trolling, and you know it but, as is the way with ideological students, you would never admit it.

Yeah, that's unfair. People can vote for whoever they like. All I ask is for them to be aware that the man they are voting for is a racist, privileged scumbucket.

If you are misusing the word 'racist', something common of people with an agenda, yes.

Privileged? More than likely, like Cameron and Milliband, and possibly Clegg (I don't know on that one)

Scumbag? Possible, like Cameron and Clegg, but not Milliband, he's a nice chap-it's his predecessors and his brother and mate the other Ed that are scumbags.

Â