Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

He shouldn't play with a bad back then because he is hindering the team by not working.

He is not our best striker. He rarely keeps possesion, his movement is static, he constantly gives the ball away.

He doesn't score enough goals to be considered good enough to keep. Someone like Carew, with all of his fustrating attirbutes which means he loses possesion more often than not leading to us on the defensive more often which also means we concede more goals with him in the team than out (I will prove that if you like), then he needs to be scoring 16-18 goals a season in my opinion or he's not worth it.

But he scored 17 goals? so...

I'm talking league goals.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Carew hadn't spent so many games on the bench while that lumbering carthorse Heskey started in his place, I bet he'd have those 17-18 goals.

He shouldn't play with a bad back then because he is hindering the team by not working.

He is not our best striker. He rarely keeps possesion, his movement is static, he constantly gives the ball away.

He doesn't score enough goals to be considered good enough to keep. Someone like Carew, with all of his fustrating attirbutes which means he loses possesion more often than not leading to us on the defensive more often which also means we concede more goals with him in the team than out (I will prove that if you like), then he needs to be scoring 16-18 goals a season in my opinion or he's not worth it.

It's just we have a player than can score goals for us, a new signing e.g. Keane would be doing extremely well do get close to that, league goals or not.

If Carew hadn't spent so many games on the bench while that lumbering carthorse Heskey started in his place, I bet he'd have those 17-18 goals.

Carew deserved to be on the bench. Short memories anyone?

Carew's first 5 league starts of the season:

0 goals.

Dropped for Heskey, Carew on at half-time next game, scores. Back in the side.

Scores 1 goal in his next 4 starts. (so 1 goal in the 9 games he started).....cup match, Heskey comes in, he scores in a 4-2 win. He keeps his place, just like Carew did when he was on the bench and then scored. We win our next 4 games. Carew because of an injury to Heskey against Liverpool starts, again does nothing and we lose 0-1.

So in Carew's 10 starts he made, he scored 1 goal.

Heskey bought back into the team. In Heskey's first 10 starts this season, he scored 2 goals so actually had a better record than Carew from starting games. Carew hat-trick at Reading though saw him come back into the team and stay there and find some okay end of the season form.

Don't just act as if Carew was firing goals and then randomally dropped. He was playing very badly and deservedly dropped and as a team we functioned a whole better with Heskey in the team aswell. By February 21st.

Carew had 5 goals, Heskey had 5. Similar game time. (In domestic competitions)

It's just we have a player than can score goals for us, a new signing e.g. Keane would be doing extremely well do get close to that, league goals or not.

We'd be more successful in the league with a player like Keane who wouldn't struggle to score 10 leagues in my opinion aswell as offering so much more than just goals like Carew. The fact we'd be able to keep the ball better, offer creativity going forward and be able to create chances for other players who move off Keane's movement would see us a better side.

Goals aren't everything as proven this season when Heskey stepped into the side and we did very well, even better than when Carew was in the team. I don't rate any player who will simply score 10 goals, offer nothing else to the team and consider that a "job done"....

We'd be more successful in the league with a player like Keane who wouldn't struggle to score 10 leagues in my opinion aswell as offering so much more than just goals like Carew. The fact we'd be able to keep the ball better, offer creativity going forward and be able to create chances for other players who move off Keane's movement would see us a better side.

Goals aren't everything as proven this season when Heskey stepped into the side and we did very well, even better than when Carew was in the team. I don't rate any player who will simply score 10 goals, offer nothing else to the team and consider that a "job done"....

Carew is different option to Keane why not have not have both plus Gabby which is different option as well. Each top team has different type striker. why should we not

I don't see the whole "oh no, not Carew"...

The guy turns up for 1/3rd of the season, can't I at least want 3 strikers who actually are consistant throughout a whole season, with us not having to say "when he's on top form" or "when he's fit"....wouldn't it just be nice to have players performing throughout a season with a dip in form being like Gabby this season where he under performs in 2/3 games of the season before being excellent once again rather than being useless up until march and then turning up.

Carew is different option to Keane why not have not have both plus Gabby which is different option as well. Each top team has different type striker. why should we not

Well I hope O'Neill goes for that Marko Arnautović who is meant to be good plus 6 foot 3. He is young and hungry and we should let Carew go while we can get some money, Delfouneso will be playing more games next year, that Arnautović can be slowly developed too, while Keane and mainly Agbonlahor play upfront. Give us 4 striking options as well as if things don't fully work out, going 4-5-1. I just feel we need to completly step away from Heskey and Carew and move in a completly different direction.

In an ideal world you are right AVFC POB but Keane could be a complete flop and struggle for 5 goals, or a player like Keane just might not gel with our style.

Possibly but from what I saw of us this year, we actually play the style of football Keane would enjoy, the problem is we didn't have a Keane type player. The amount of times, I saw the ball worked well through the midfield, especially Downing and Milner, only to find upfront Gabby and Carew wrestling with the defenders, therefore we end up playing it wide and putting a cross in. I thought when Heskey came in, we played much better football and actually started to open teams up with some passing, the problem was, Heskey's good movement, touch and form lasted for about 2 months before he started to struggle again. I think Keane is the perfect match here, he would be one of the more creative and better footballers at the club which I think he likes. He's a player we're crying out for.

The only problem is the price for me.

In an ideal world you are right AVFC POB but Keane could be a complete flop and struggle for 5 goals, or a player like Keane just might not gel with our style.

Totally disagree. While you're right that anything 'could' happen, you're not basing it on anything. Heskey 'could' be our top scorer next season, but he wont. Keane 'could' be a total flop and struggle to score 5 goals, but he wont. Even in a Liverpool side that used him for half a season and dropped him every other game he got 5 goals while being treated like crap by Benitez. Keane is a goalscorer and a very intelligent footballer. He would be a great signing for us. Sure, we could've bought him younger but he's still 30 and has a few years left in him. He'd also give us a full season of effort, unlike every striker we currently have on our books.

Possibly but from what I saw of us this year, we actually play the style of football Keane would enjoy, the problem is we didn't have a Keane type player. The amount of times, I saw the ball worked well through the midfield, especially Downing and Milner, only to find upfront Gabby and Carew wrestling with the defenders, therefore we end up playing it wide and putting a cross in. I thought when Heskey came in, we played much better football and actually started to open teams up with some passing, the problem was, Heskey's good movement, touch and form lasted for about 2 months before he started to struggle again. I think Keane is the perfect match here, he would be one of the more creative and better footballers at the club which I think he likes. He's a player we're crying out for.

The only problem is the price for me.

I agree mostly but would keep Carew unless we are signing 2 strikers.

However, I do not think Keane is up to it any more. Also Keane is one of the worst in the league for going through flits of form, 8 in 2 moths and none for 4 etc. He's done it his whole career.

Totally disagree. While you're right that anything 'could' happen, you're not basing it on anything. Heskey 'could' be our top scorer next season, but he wont. Keane 'could' be a total flop and struggle to score 5 goals, but he wont. Even in a Liverpool side that used him for half a season and dropped him every other game he got 5 goals while being treated like crap by Benitez. Keane is a goalscorer and a very intelligent footballer. He would be a great signing for us. Sure, we could've bought him younger but he's still 30 and has a few years left in him. He'd also give us a full season of effort, unlike every striker we currently have on our books.

That is a different Keane, he is going downhill IMO.

I don't think we will sign him anyway.

Lots of ifs...

If Milner left and if we brought in Ireland and Keane, then Keane would most certainly bring the movement and intelligence up front that we have been begging for and Ireland could supply the killer pass. Might even answer MON's latest dilemma of winning more at home.