Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Kohli is a bit meh when it comes to the Test game isn't he

This is the problem with the new young Indian players. Their dream is to get a big IPL contract, and internationally, to win an ODI or T20 World Cup. They no longer have the desire to play Test cricket.  

Kohli is a bit meh when it comes to the Test game isn't he

He scored a hundred and a 96 in the same test against a better South African bowling attack in South Africa not too long ago so I wouldn't be writing him off on the basis of this series. He is a quality player who's having a poor series. The point that PaulC makes is a good one as opposed to the easy IPL reason.

Cook made some good decisions today... Very pleased Moeen is making a significant contribution with the ball. Would be nice if Woakes could get a wicket or two tomorrow. No all can not be forgotten AVfc96 but its a new team and theres a lot of positives to take from this test. 

Glad to hear this  :thumb:

Discussing next year's Ashes, and the prospect of having to face Mitchell Johnson.

My mate, Richard: "He's shit. He'll be no good when he has to bowl in the day, like we do in England. He's only any good when he bowls in the middle night." 

He's got a point. 

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

Pathetic by India, if you add the amount of overs they batted together they didn't even bat a whole day. 

Ali was superb yet again. It feels wierd to be positive about English cricket.

• Like 1

Cook confirms Broad has a broken nose, so that means he will be out of the fifth test. Means Woakes will probably play there.

He also says that Anderson is feeling ill, so Finn might be in for the fifth test aswell.

Pathetic by India, if you add the amount of overs they batted together they didn't even bat a whole day. 

Yes India were poor but to get 9 wickets in a session without Broad was great and Moeen once again doing the business. I just hope Moeen can get runs next test because he's a class batsman. I knew he had some talent with the ball but i am astounded how well he has done.

• Like 2

Yes India were poor but to get 9 wickets in a session without Broad was great and Moeen once again doing the business. I just hope Moeen can get runs next test because he's a class batsman. I knew he had some talent with the ball but i am astounded how well he has done.

Someone made a point on the BBC live text earlier that at Southampton and at Old Trafford he has been bowling quicker and he seems to be getting rewards for it. 

Someone made a point on the BBC live text earlier that at Southampton and at Old Trafford he has been bowling quicker and he seems to be getting rewards for it.

He's still getting drift and 'revs', though (from what it seems and from what the players and commentators have been saying).

Often when spinners bowl quicker they just bowl flat and straight which tends to make them less dangerous - Moeen's increase of a few mph seems to have made him more dangerous and less easy to just push around for a single. As I said before, I wonder whether some of that has come from Ajmaal (or at least from him watching Ajmaal).

Of course, it helps if you're bowling with a few hundred lead on the board but I don't think we should underestimate his performance on the last day of the So'ton test as there was a fair bit of pressure on him.

Edited by snowychap

He's still getting drift and 'revs', though (from what it seems and from what the players and commentators have been saying).

Often when spinners bowl quicker they just bowl flat and straight which tends to make them less dangerous - Moeen's increase of a few mph seems to have made him more dangerous and less easy to just push around for a single. As I said before, I wonder whether some of that has come from Ajmaal (or at least from him watching Ajmaal).

Of course, it helps if you're bowling with a few hundred lead on the board but I don't think we should underestimate his performance on the last day of the So'ton test as there was a fair bit of pressure on him.

Maybe some from Ajmal but mainly from Bell who he has practiced a lot with and told him he needed to bowl quicker in test cricket than county cricket. Knows him well from his Warwickshire days as well.

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

Maybe some from Ajmal but mainly from Bell who he has practiced a lot with and told him he needed to bowl quicker in test cricket than county cricket. Knows him well from his Warwickshire days as well.

Pah, Warwickshire smarwickshire. It's all us down here that have made him in to a test player, I tells ya. ;)

Â