Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Not Steyn.

I know Steyn wasn't fined, his teammate was. I guess Steyn bowled (and took wickets?) with the ball that Philander tampered with, though.

Wouldn't get too bothered about ball tamepering....

You may not be bothered about cheats and cheating but I think we ought to be.

All teams including England do it to an extent...

When I see/hear England (or anyone else) doing it then I'll call them cheats, too.

In 2010 Jimmy Anderson was accused of doing it but got away with it.

If he did it then he cheated.

You say he was accused of doing it - did he do it?

Edit: I vaguely remember it now having checked and he and Broad denied the accusations. Philander and SA appear to have accepted the charge and fine claiming that other sides are better at doing it than them (though in the same breath claiming that they weren't doing anything). I'll reiterate for you, though: if Anderson and Broad did it (even if not charged) then they were cheating.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

What a great session of test cricket that was. This game can go either way still.

Yes I love the way Jadeja has come out and attacked.... Great stuff....Honestly what do you think England can chase. I stick by 280..

What a great session of test cricket that was. This game can go either way still.

Yes I love the way Jadeja has come out and attacked.... Great stuff....Honestly what do you think England can chase. I stick by 280..

I think India would be pretty happy with 280 with the way England's batting has gone and the way the track is misbehaving on occasions. But having said that once a batsman gets his eye in things seem to settle down.

I agree snowychap it is cheating and has to be stopped.  Not sure it made much difference to Steyn's figures as wasn't the ball changed after Phillander was seen doing it. Wasim Akram and Waquar Younis had a reputation for picking the seam. Even a Warwickshre second eleven player was caught doing it last year. Freddie Coleman...

I think India would be pretty happy with 280 with the way England's batting has gone and the way the track is misbehaving on occasions. But having said that once a batsman gets his eye in things seem to settle down.

I think Jadeja will have a big say with England having so many left handed batsmen. 

I think Jadeja will have a big say with England having so many left handed batsmen.

Moeen hasn't really spun one off the straight so difficult to say if the pitch is gripping but Jadeja fires them in a lot quicker and as you say to the left handers out the rough should be a big factor.

I agree snowychap it is cheating and has to be stopped.

A one match ban for the player and the captain for a first offence in a match; a forfeit of the match for a subsequent offence.

Of course the umpires would have to be backed up by the ICC/local cricket board(s) and that wouldn't happen.

I agree snowychap it is cheating and has to be stopped.

A one match ban for the player and the captain for a first offence in a match; a forfeit of the match for a subsequent offence.

Of course the umpires would have to be backed up by the ICC/local cricket board(s) and that wouldn't happen.

How much power do the icc have? Surely the BCCI should not be allowed to dictate whether we have DRS in test matches involving India...It should be mandetary..

Make your mind up yourself

It certainly looks like it.

If Jimmy was indeed just trying to remove a bit of leather that was sticking out then he should have taken it to the umpire for him to do it.

The point is that it's not for us to judge or guess at home - it is up to the umpires, ICC, coaches, captains and players themselves to police what they are doing/is happening.

How much power do the icc have? Surely the BCCI should not be allowed to dictate whether we have DRS in test matches involving India...It should be mandetary..

From how I understand it. test matches are bilateral games and not ICC tournaments. In the latter DRS in mandatory, in the former things such as this need to be agreed by both participating boards. I'm not sure I have too much of a problem with that. Edited by snowychap

Â