Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

His talent was undisputed but I reckon it is fair to say a very arrogant individual; so would you want him in your team, particularly if you don't have Brearley's management skills (re. Botham). From reading his book, I think Gower fell out with Gooch over training methods, application and such. Agreed there is no-one else quite like him but if he was disruptive......

The next England team is going to look very different isn't it.

Wonder if he will stop at Surrey - only a Second Division team.

But good management is about dealing with characters like KP and getting the best out of them, not taking second-rate players instead to make your life a bit easier. The shambles that was the Ashes suggests that the problem was bad management all round, only a couple of players looked like they could be bothered. 

can see the difference in management between both sides. If Warner was English he would have never got near the team again due to some of his antics. but Aussies stood by him after punishing him and think he was highest runscorer in the series

• Like 1

Aussies vs South Africa now.

this could be an indication of how bad England tour was. Rogers and Warner gone early and 54/2

Or how much better South Africa are than everyone else. I expect the Saffers to win the series, but Aus will give them a big test. Will be interesting to see how Mitchell Johnson does, not playing in home conditions.

Edited by dAVe80

Yeah I agree South Africa are much better but if they were to trounce Aussies it would be indication of how really bad England were and what needs rebuilding

I think we had an indication of that this Winter (or Summer over there)! South Africa trounced England on home soil, last time they played us too, so I think it's safe to say we're miles behind them.

Am I correct in saying Australia haven't lost in South Africa, since they started playing international cricket again after the end of Apartheid?

140/6. Johnson proving Ashes wasnt a once-off. 

have to say the Aussie bowling attack is actually quite brilliant at the moment if can keep Harris fit, he is just so consistent and tight along with Siddle and Lyon that Johnson can get away with been wayward at times.

If only England culd find something similar to get Finn in

have to say the Aussie bowling attack is actually quite brilliant at the moment if can keep Harris fit, he is just so consistent and tight along with Siddle and Lyon that Johnson can get away with been wayward at times.

Finn has been messed around by the England selectors and coaching staff. Give him a run in the side and he would be brilliant. But knowing England if he had 1 bad game they would bring Tim Bresnan in.

Yes difference is Finn has lost his bowling action.  The Aussie attack is good but I'd be surprised if South Africa get thrashed like England did. 

What a remarkable transformation from Mitchell Johnson. From the butt of the Barmy Army jokes, to potentially the number one bowler in the world. Got to say fair play to the bloke, he's proved many people wrong.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd give Dale Steyn the edge at the moment. Johnson has been in phenomenal form though. To have someone who can bowl that accurately, at that speed is just a devastating weapon to have in your arsenal.

Over his career Steyn has been better and will go down as a better fast bowler when they retire, however right now Johnson is hot and i think although the rankings have Philander 1. and Steyn 2, it won't be long before Johnson gets to no.1 if he keeps this up.

• Like 1

Isnt Steyn carrying an injury. am sure I read that earlier

I think he was ill first day and he had some injury he was treated for. Still bowling in the high 80s but Johnson was bowling 93/94 mph. Philander has been poor considering his record and Morkel should get more wickets than he does.

Â