Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Kallis will go down as one of the greats but he's not a player you'd really pay your money to go and see though is he! Stats alone put him right up there. Flawless technique and temperment with his batting. Never flustered but generally scored quite slowly unlike De Villiers.  In his younger days he was a quite a quick bowler up there about 90 mph. I'm sure Trott moulded himself on Kallis. 

I appear to have left out quick bowlers so, as I'm a little too young to have seen Lillee, Thommo or Holding at their pomp (other than on video), I'll add Malcolm Marshall to the above list of talents.

Yes Marshall. I think we should include Dale Steyn as a great. His SR is right up there and this is in era where wickets are probably flatter although reverse swing wasn't really around when Thomo and Lillee were playing.

I appear to have left out quick bowlers so, as I'm a little too young to have seen Lillee, Thommo or Holding at their pomp (other than on video), I'll add Malcolm Marshall to the above list of talents.

Malcolm Marshall is a great shout. Glen McGrath was a pretty special talent too. 

Considering he's about now, I haven't seen a huge amount of Steyn so it's difficult to assess him on any more than his stats and the opinions of others.

McGrath, yes, I'll give you that. Nice bloke, too, from accounts about his time at Worcestershire.

Considering he's about now, I haven't seen a huge amount of Steyn so it's difficult to assess him on any more than his stats and the opinions of others.

McGrath, yes, I'll give you that. Nice bloke, too, from accounts about his time at Worcestershire.

Saw him a lot when he was at Warwickshire in 2007. He's small and lightweight for a fast bowler, but when he cranks it up he can be seriously quick and swings it both ways too. Mcgrath yes!

Yep, that's spot on  ^^^  and also had the right 'mentality ' for a fast bowler - pretty aggressive !

Difficult to disagree with any comments re. best all-rounders but would add one who I always rated, Richard Hadlee; how would you rate him? However, described by Bob Willis in his book as a very miserable so and so.

Yep, that's spot on  ^^^  and also had the right 'mentality ' for a fast bowler - pretty aggressive !

Difficult to disagree with any comments re. best all-rounders but would add one who I always rated, Richard Hadlee; how would you rate him? However, described by Bob Willis in his book as a very miserable so and so.

Hadlee? For me, a top class bowler who was handy with the bat (occasionally he could bat very well, I grant) but his batting lets him down in comparison to Imran, Botham and Kapil.

Glen McGrath seems slightly under appreciated outside Australia. Perhaps because Warne took more of the headlines.

It was McGrath's unbelievable consistency that frustrated batsmen into hitting out against Warne. Without McGrath Warne would not have the record he did, McGrath also took his fair share of top order wickets.

I think I would actually have him ahead of Warne when picking my all time Australian bowlers.

Glen McGrath seems slightly under appreciated outside Australia. Perhaps because Warne took more of the headlines.

It was McGrath's unbelievable consistency that frustrated batsmen into hitting out against Warne. Without McGrath Warne would not have the record he did, McGrath also took his fair share of top order wickets.

I think I would actually have him ahead of Warne when picking my all time Australian bowlers.

Though I agree that some of Warne's success is undoubtedly down to who was at the other end a lot (perhaps the same could be said of McGrath's?), Warne's wickets didn't just come from people hitting out against him in frustration, did they? He took the wickets of people trying to bat carefully against him, often when bowling round the wicket at right handers.

It's not the number of wickets taken by Warne that puts him in list of top talents for me but the fact that I haven't seen his like playing test cricket before and can't envisage seeing it again.

McGrath, whilst a top class bowler, sits in the same kind of group as Donald, Hadlee, Ambrose, Walsh, Akram and so on for me.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Though I agree that some of Warne's success is undoubtedly down to who was at the other end a lot (perhaps the same could be said of McGrath's?), Warne's wickets didn't just come from people hitting out against him in frustration, did they? He took the wickets of people trying to bat carefully against him, often when bowling round the wicket at right handers.

It's not the number of wickets taken by Warne that puts him in list of top talents for me but the fact that I haven't seen his like playing test cricket before and can't envisage seeing it again.

McGrath, whilst a top class bowler, sits in the same kind of group as Donald, Hadlee, Ambrose, Walsh, Akram and so on for me.

Agreed.  Warne is up there with Muralitharan as a one off.  If you can have two one offs, which you can't.  But you get what I mean.

To be described by Bob Willis as miserable would take some doing! 

All the ones on that list are still slower to 350 wickets than Steyn. Warne is the greatest spinner of all time. Mcgrath whilst being a huge part of Australia's success will never be rated as one of the all time greats imo. He's like Pollock!

Mcgrath sr 51.9 Steyn sr 42 Donald sr 47. That to me is the most important stat when it comes to bowling.

Edited by PaulC

Put Steyn on that list of top class bowlers, too, if you want - the list could be a very, very long one with people like Waqar, Pollock, Roberts, Garner, Holding, Lille, Thompson, Hall, and so on and so on.

Regardless of what stat you'd like to throw in to the pot (how quick to 350 wickets - why not how quick to 100/150/200/250/300/400/450, &c? - or strike rate), he's not getting on my list of top talents. :D

p.s. I think Hadlee got there in the same number of tests according to this lot. ;)

Edited by snowychap

Yes Hadlee was a great as well. Boycott puts Steyn up there! Guess we have our favourites and Steyn has been my fav since he was with Warwickshire. Also ranked no.1 in the world for 4 years until Philander just displaced him. Steyn might have the no.1 spot back after this last test though! If I was pushed to name the greatest fast bowler of all time I would say Malcolm Marshall. 

• Like 1

Hey PaulC !         Just been examining the Expenditure Budget to see if we can afford to renew our membership at Warks. If I can negotiate an Internal Transfer from the "Handbags and Shoes" budget to "Entertainment Budget " , we should be OK :rolleyes:  But - do you happen to know what this  £5.00 Fulfilment Charge is please ?

Hey PaulC !         Just been examining the Expenditure Budget to see if we can afford to renew our membership at Warks. If I can negotiate an Internal Transfer from the "Handbags and Shoes" budget to "Entertainment Budget " , we should be OK :rolleyes:  But - do you happen to know what this  £5.00 Fulfilment Charge is please ?

I've renewed mine already :D. I'm pretty sure its a charge for the processing of your membership.

Â