Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

All talk from Flower before the game about dropping the big names, yet the only change is Bresnan in for Panesar. How Rankin or Finn never got a game I don't know,

Oh and Prior's comments  are just plain stupid and show how big of an ego he has.

I had to be up early this morning and was listening to TMS on 198mw. I'm not too sure who was commentating - Henry Blofeld and someone else but they were supporting Tymal Mills  !!!!!!

Tymal Mills for fecks sake - this bloke plays for a Second Division County, did not feature in the top few of that division and they were talking about him being the possible English 'secret weapon' to blast the Aussies out. What is their agenda? We already have a player, with the squad, capable of doing that - Boyd Rankin ! (no bias of course)

Mills is a left armer and absolutely rapid, horses for courses and something a bit different. He's been around the lions and development squads for a while, so not exactly as far out if left field as you suggest. He also travelled to Australia with fellow left armer Harry Gurney of Notts to give the batsmen some Mitchell Johnson type practice.

The England attack has become very samey and very medium pace, even Finn generally bumbles in at mid 80s rather than bowling properly quick. Not sure if this is down to rhythm or a lack of confidence, if Finn is playing, he needs to be bowling quick. On these surfaces, we need to pick aggressive pace bowlers, not trundlers, so if we have someone who offers something different, is acclimatised and bowling well, why not chuck him in?

Edited by AndyClarke

Mills is a left armer and absolutely rapid, horses for courses and something a bit different. He's been around the lions and development squads for a while, so not exactly as far out if left field as you suggest. He also travelled to Australia with fellow left armer Harry Gurney of Notts to give the batsmen some Mitchell Johnson type practice.

The England attack has become very samey and very medium pace, even Finn generally bumbles in at mid 80s rather than bowling properly quick. Not sure if this is down to rhythm or a lack of confidence, if Finn is playing, he needs to be bowling quick. On these surfaces, we need to pick aggressive pace bowlers, not trundlers, so if we have someone who offers something different, is acclimatised and bowling well, why not chuck him in?

Boyd Rankin can bowl at 90 mph and get extravegant  bounce from a length. Why have players in the squad if you are not going to pick them. Its niave to think Mills could do better. 

Edited by PaulC

Boyd Rankin can bowl at 90 mph and get extravegant  bounce from a length. Why have players in the squad if you are not going to pick them. Its niave to think Mills could do better. 

There's a reason why Boyd isn't playing.

Broad, Anderson, Swann = Favorites, will never be dropped.

Bresnan is conceded the safe option as he can bat a bit even though his bowling isn't all that and replacing Stokes with another bowler would weaken our batting even further.

I'm not saying that Rankin shouldn't be given a chance or indeed that Mills is the answer, Mills being a left armer is an advantage though.

I personally don't think Rankin is good enough and his selection in the touring party was presumably as a back up to Finn and Tremlett who are backup themselves. How Bresnan gets the nod in this test is strange but also unsurprising given the 'safe' and calculated brand of cricket the management favour.

I saw Mills on the tele this season; he was being touted then as a player to go with the England squad to give them experience of facing fast left armers like Mitchell Johnson as has been suggested above. He certainly appeared quite rapid with the slight disadvantage of only about 2 balls per over being anywhere near the bat ! If he is the best we can come up with......!

Anyway - going out on my bike in a minute but PAULC - what do you know about the 'Poppy to Derbyshire' situation ? 

I'm not saying that Rankin shouldn't be given a chance or indeed that Mills is the answer, Mills being a left armer is an advantage though.

I personally don't think Rankin is good enough and his selection in the touring party was presumably as a back up to Finn and Tremlett who are backup themselves. How Bresnan gets the nod in this test is strange but also unsurprising given the 'safe' and calculated brand of cricket the management favour.

Mills is a rookie. How do you base your view on Rankin? he has a sr of 45 in first class cricket which is as good as anyones. 

I saw Mills on the tele this season; he was being touted then as a player to go with the England squad to give them experience of facing fast left armers like Mitchell Johnson as has been suggested above. He certainly appeared quite rapid with the slight disadvantage of only about 2 balls per over being anywhere near the bat ! If he is the best we can come up with......!

Anyway - going out on my bike in a minute but PAULC - what do you know about the 'Poppy to Derbyshire' situation ? 

Hi Veloman it was well known that Pop was very unhappy that he didn't get the top job at Warwickshire. Instead they gave it to Dougie! It was a a very strange decision. I think Pop is the best bowling coach on the county circuit. He has done wonders with players like Barker, Wright and Rankin. He's going to get the Derby Job isn't he? massive massive loss to Warwickshire.  I dont know anything other than he's applied for the job but I fear we will loose him. 

Rankin is a quality bowler, I'd just question if he is good enough to play at the top level. In fairness to him though, what chance has he got to prove himself when the selectors won't even give him a game on a wicket that looks tailor made for him.

yes exactly and he looked good in the one day series.

Yep  - agreed entirely with what you say. Hmm ; wife and self's membership renewal is sitting here - might have to think twice :unsure:

yep me too.

Tymal Mills isn't ready to play for England. He doesn't play that often for Essex. They only like to play one left armer and they think Topley is better. He's a project to work with though, anyone who can bowl 90+ is worth working with. Haven't seen that much of Rankin apart from a few games for England and Ireland. He's looked good from what I've seen although I think he struggled in the warm up games? Think one of them or Finn needs to play though as England look stale and one-paced. This attack struggles when it isn't swinging which it never really does in aus. Dunno how bresnan keeps getting a look-in. Such an average player, even on this wicket he was bowling low 80's when jimmy and broad were touching 90.

Shame we didn't win the toss, if we could have put some pressure on them i wonder how different they'd play, at the moment they are confident they know we are shit they know they can bowl us out for a pathetic score but it would be brilliant to see how they'd react to it going 2-1. To be honest im just shocked that we've made it to 180 for the loss of only 4 everytime i wake up i just expect to see horrible news :D

Â