Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Piolet just isn't good enough really, yes he can swing the ball but his inability to bowl at a decent pace and with decent consitency is his undoing really. Would like Warwickshire to hurry up and get a few players in as the squad is getting smaller and smaller.

Yes we have plenty of seamers but we are thin on the batting front. Woakes should now be looked upon as a batting a batting allrounder. He is really is a better batsman than he is given credit for. He should have that no.6 spot for England. 

Looking like Carberry might have batted his way into an opening spot, in the first test. Fantastic ton last night, all be it against an third rate Australia A bowling attack. Hopefully if he plays, that will solve the problem number 6 spot, as Root can move back down the order. Looks good on paper, hopefully it'll come good out in the middle.

I reserve judgement on Carberry until he plays against their a attack. I think its going to be a very close series

Yeah fair enough although Root hardly excelled v the Aussies in the summer save one fine innings once the game was one. I really dont think he has a right to consider his opening spot a lock. Chuck him at 6 for me for the first two tests. If Carbs struggles we can always bring Root back up.

Carberry hardly justified his place by his performances in div 2 last season. Root will be exposed as well. Compton is very unlucky in my view. Chopra had a good season for Warwickshire. I just thought that the selectors based their selection on performances in county cricket. 

Carberry hardly justified his place by his performances in div 2 last season. Root will be exposed as well. Compton is very unlucky in my view. Chopra had a good season for Warwickshire. I just thought that the selectors based their selection on performances in county cricket. 

I'm suprised that the ECB haven't given Chopra a chance yet. For two seasons, he's been there or there abouts top scorer in the County Championship. Good news for the Bears though, I suppose, as we'd be screwed if we lost him to England too.

On a side note, anyone else feel the urge to stand on one leg, till we get to the next page of this thread? Come on lads, let's get off this Nelson ASAP!

:) Nah i have to do that whenever i sit by this lady at edgbaston. I have never seen us loose a wicket when on 111. 

• 2 weeks later...

The ashes starts tonight at 12pm. Any thoughts! I think it will be a tight series. Tremlett likely to get the nod as third seamer! Still doubts about Prior playing.

Can't wait, will be staying up all night to watch it. I think England will win quite comfortably. Also how on earth can Tremlett justify his place? Not played a test match since 2011, it is very likely that he won't last the whole series and I think personally Finn is the better bowler if slightly erratic sometimes.

Happy to go with Tremlett, if he gets the nod. The Aussies will not enjoy facing him. Think the batting line up is pretty nailed on, with Carberry opening, and Root at 6. I've got no problems with Bairstow as WK either, if Prior doesn't make it.

The talking is pretty much done now. The Aussies have done what they do, and told the world they're targeting this batsman or that bowler, and we're no good. Well let's just wait and see.

Concerned about this series, still not sure about Cook as captain.

Is that you Shane Warne? Nothing wrong with the way Cook captains the side at all, in my opinion.

Generally speaking I think he is naive and tends to play too defensive.

Concerned about this series, still not sure about Cook as captain.

Is that you Shane Warne? Nothing wrong with the way Cook captains the side at all, in my opinion.

Generally speaking I think he is naive and tends to play too defensive.

I can see why that's said about him, but he gets results. The same was said about Strauss, and we won back to back Ashes, and became the number one test side in the world with those tactics. Also for a captain who is too negative (and let's be honest bang out of form with the bat), he still managed to win his last series 3-0, against a team captained by supposedly the best captain in the world. When we start getting white washed, and lose more that one sereis on the bounce, then I'll start to question him. Until then, if aint broke, don't fix it.

• Like 1

think people on Cooks back is that the England team is so organised and talented he has to play to a set structure and can be seen as conservative. While Clarke who I do rate as a captain better than Ponting has more freedom and fluidity due to his lack of quality players around him so he is allowed think outside the box and not be criticised as much

I can see where you are going... the thing is with Strauss, you always felt he would choose the right field and have the answer, whether by luck or judgement. With Cook I have thought some decisions to be odd and have seen them changed soon after as the Aussies pick holes in what he has put in place. I also think he can be far far too slow to make a decision, when we are crying for spin he'll take 5/6 overs too long when we should be hitting them straight away.

Â