Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Tasker basically lets you pre program your phone to do things given a situation or input.

For example I have my phone switch to airplane mode from midnight to half seven every weekday as I do not want to be disturbed at night. You could simply have it turn off auto sync, and mobile data so you can still get calls and texts.

I also have it set my phone on silent on weekdays during work hours. Also I have it turn off power draining things as my battery hits certain levels, so in the end only 2g networks and min brightness are left when my battery is critical.

Basically any input you can think of can have a programmed action take place. It's amazingly handy.

That does sound pretty cool.

My tasker automatically turns my phone onto silent when I'm on the work based on the cellphone tower. I've got it set to within 500m which seems to be accurate enough.

Then between 11.30pm and 6.30am it's on silent and no vibrate so it doesn't bother me with anything. Although I could just set it to flight mode instead.

Finally, when it's connected to the car's bluetooth it disables WiFi, stops the screen from timing out and locking, and turns on GPS. I've set them as temporary settings so they revert as soon as it's disconnected from that bluetooth client.

You can literally do anything with it. There are numerous examples online of people who do some really complicated stuff but the 3 items above are fine for me.

The great thing is people can save the tasks they've set up so you can download them and use them. Some of the stuff people have done is amazing. The reading out of your text messages while the phone is docked in the car is genius.

Still no froyo for me, keep getting the message 'this devices version cannot be updated.'

How much longer must I wait?

Which network is the phone branded to?

I'm not actually sure. I'm assuming t-mobile but it's unlocked and has no logos of any kind...

In that case, where do you think the update is going to come from? When you say ot was unlocked, do you mean you had the SIM block removed, or it was supplied as new with no block?

In that case I have no idea. If it was a factory stock one, you'd have had the update direct from the manufacturer. If it is pointing at t-mobile's servers, you'll have to wait for them to make it available. Of course, this might not work if you are not on their network.

If the update is available to other t-mobile users, then I think you're stuck.

It might help if you tell us which handset?

You can just load a non branded firmware on a locked sgs. Check the xda dev forums.

Yeh that all seems fairly complex to me and given that the official version was supposed to be released anytime now, I thought it would be more convenient to wait.

Sorry I just read you're unlocked. Just plug it into Kies and it should update to Froyo.

If only it was as simple :)

Have done so but keep receiving the message 'this devices version cannot be updated.'

Right, I'm not too far away from my big and shiny upgrade time. My contract is up in March, but I think 3 will be trying to get me to upgrade in January or February. I'm not really interested in an iPhone 4, the hardware faults are just too big to ignore, but what is likely to be the high end Android phone in Q1 of 2011? Is it still going to be the desire HD (battery seems awfully weedy if you ask me) or are we expecting any kind of big announcement early in the year?

Â