Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

I think the success of the galaxy s will / has changed that. Galaxy tab also. Samsung will certainly know where they are weak which is in the software dept, the company is massive and can and will adapt due to the revenue coming in from their android products, galaxy s and galaxy tab will need gingerbread.

Also gingerbread is meant to reduce the amount of functionality that individual phone manufacturers add in their custom ui's by incorporating it into the initial build meaning less delays from google releasing the build to when htc or samsung release it with custom ui.

I think the success of the galaxy s will / has changed that. Galaxy tab also. Samsung will certainly know where they are weak which is in the software dept, the company is massive and can and will adapt due to the revenue coming in from their android products, galaxy s and galaxy tab will need gingerbread.

Also gingerbread is meant to reduce the amount of functionality that individual phone manufacturers add in their custom ui's by incorporating it into the initial build meaning less delays from google releasing the build to when htc or samsung release it with custom ui.

Problem is that East Asian tech firms have never had a great history in the software side of things (and by never, I mean not since the dawn of electronic computing). For every company over there that makes shit hot hardware, software is always the problem. There are cultural reasons for this, and I wouldn't bet on it changing anytime soon.

I remember when I worked for Evesham all the mainboards were obviously Taiwanese from companies like Microstar, Gigabyte, Asus etc. and the hardware was great but the BIOS's were terrible. It's the major reason it's such a pain to get a non-Windows OS onto a computer and have everything work perfectly - the BIOS should be easy, it should be standards compliant but it was always a bodge to get it to pass Microsoft HCT which was the only goal in the end. Didn't matter if it wasn't ACPI compliant afterwards, as long as it could have a Microsoft sticker on the front.

Anyway, I digress. Last I heard about Gingerbread it was supposed to separate out the OS from the UI/modem more, so when there are OS updates in future they can just come down OTA and the carriers / OEMs won't care if they're running Gingerbread, Honeycomb or Icing Sugar at the kernel / Gapps level as long as the modem part, which is what the carriers care about the UI part, which is what the OEMs care about are separate and locked. It's to pander to everyone, will be interesting to see if they just end up pissing everyone off.

Finally, in other news I've got Heimdall flashing my Galaxy S. It's an open-source Samsung flash tool that runs on any major platform and tonight I've flashed what's widely rumoured to be the official Froyo (JPM) and then a rooted kernel, all without nasty shitty Windows. Ahem.

Yeah got the email, downloaded it, and played it in the jacks there. Free too which is sweet. Android apps cost less than their apple counterparts. Is that due to google taking a smaller percentage of app sales than apple do?

How's the new build working out for you dirk? What quadrant scores you getting?

I'd stick money on some phones having gingerbread before the galaxy s officially has froyo.

Well that was a bet you'd swiftly have lost. Official update being rolled out now

Some Desire owners still waiting on 2.2. Given Samsung had a shit load of bugs to fix ontop of the update which will be for all handsets all networks. Not bad.

Reading techradar's top 20 Phones , Galaxy S is in 3rd but this is what they had to say

Our quick verdict: The Samsung Galaxy S is everything that's good about the Wave, but with Android power to back it up. The Super AMOLED screen is awe inspiring, and the 1GHz Hummingbird processor means the phone never misses a beat.

It's one of the contenders for the top spot if the forthcoming Android 2.2 update gives it a big boost, but currently a slight lag in the UI and erratic GPS and Wi-Fi are the only slight foibles that keep it from top spot.

I'd stick money on some phones having gingerbread before the galaxy s officially has froyo.

Well that was a bet you'd swiftly have lost. Official update being rolled out now

Some Desire owners still waiting on 2.2. Given Samsung had a shit load of bugs to fix ontop of the update which will be for all handsets all networks. Not bad.

Technically, it's a bet I've already won as there's been dev phones with gingerbread since not long after froyo shipped ;) I said some phones, I never mentioned they had to be in the hands of consumers!

Desire owners are only waiting because networks are shit and put their own custom software on. Surely that will be the same with the galaxy s? Or are they all unbranded?

Yeah branded SGS owners will be having to wait just like every other branded phone. Although it's fairly easy to flash a standard ROM on a Galaxy S so it may motivate the carriers a bit.

I've been using Froyo for about 2 months on my SGS. As you'd expect each one gets a bit better each time, I'm currently on JPM and the official release that seems to be going out to Scandinavia today is JP6 which apparently is a bit better still. I'm gonna put it on in a minute.

GPS is sorted and has been for a long time. Not had a single problem with any version with WiFi (and not heard of anything either??) but lag is still there and will be until Samsung ditch RFS on the MoviNAND flash. All you have to do is root it and install OCLF from the market which creates an ext2 image file inside RFS and bind mounts it as /data. It absolutely rockets along then. The worrying thing is, it's quite obvious to everyone (including Samsung) that all they have to do is just use ext4 and suddenly lag is gone. Apparently CM6.1 will just use ext4 on the MoviNAND and keep RFS on the OneNAND which will be fine.

Errr yeah. Froyo, ace. :)

All the Galaxy S' sold in Ireland are unbranded. So I'm hoping for froyo next week sometime.

I'll be rooting my phone the second I have froyo so glad I can get rid of the lag, it's so random when it happens and is irritating. It's amazing to think Samsung won't fix it themselves and that this froyo build will not fix it. Let me know if the lag is there on JP6, so like don't install OCLF until you encounter the lag.

Also will it be quicker to get Gingerbread than it was to get Froyo? We're looking at early next year in reality unless you own a Nexus 1.

I took the plunge and bought an Orange San Francisco and boy am I pleased. Superb piece of kit and I still can't believe I got it for £79.99. Currently running Android 2.1 and a custom ROM from Modaco (that deletes all of the Orange Bloatware). Got an unlock code off eBay for 99p.

Switching between this and my HTC Magic the screen is awesome, it makes the HTC seem about 20 years out of date.

The battery life is still settling down though, first charge took an eternity and then emptied worryingly fast, second charge much quicker and holding up well, hopefully it'll keep improving.

One thing I cannot figure out though, I can't seem to get the word suggestion thingy on when I'm typing text messages, I've got it toggled in touchpal but it doesn't appear to be kicking in...

Also, please suggest any great apps that I should add, I haven't really looked into what is new for ages as the Magic was getting slower and slower I gave up.

I took the plunge and bought an Orange San Francisco and boy am I pleased. Superb piece of kit and I still can't believe I got it for £79.99. Currently running Android 2.1 and a custom ROM from Modaco (that deletes all of the Orange Bloatware). Got an unlock code off eBay for 99p.

Switching between this and my HTC Magic the screen is awesome, it makes the HTC seem about 20 years out of date.

The battery life is still settling down though, first charge took an eternity and then emptied worryingly fast, second charge much quicker and holding up well, hopefully it'll keep improving.

One thing I cannot figure out though, I can't seem to get the word suggestion thingy on when I'm typing text messages, I've got it toggled in touchpal but it doesn't appear to be kicking in...

Also, please suggest any great apps that I should add, I haven't really looked into what is new for ages as the Magic was getting slower and slower I gave up.

Looks like a nice phone at the budget end of the spectrum - this might be just the thing for my sons xmas pressie

Looks like a nice phone at the budget end of the spectrum - this might be just the thing for my sons xmas pressie

Its a budget price yes but huge on features. It does it all. Don't let the price fool you into thinking its a poor imitiation of a Desire / Wildfire.

Its currently £99.99 +£10 top up on the website, I bought an orange sim pack from Argos for £1, called to register it. Then called back stating I was an exisitng PAYG customer and a friend had got this phone discounted to £79.99, guy checked my number and then did the deal. Easy.

Â