Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Google is supposed to be the #1 search company in the world. Yes, the marketplace has lots of apps on it, but its a **** ghetto and it needs fixing.

I cannot believe how bad the search option is in the market consiering Googles reputation has been built upon searching.

Its utter crap.

So use a different market, or use appbrain or one of the many app sites. Your argument only holds if you consider the delivery of apps as a single vendor silo. You are not restricted to one market, you have a choice.

They did it from a moral thing, they removed them all in december. They removed psx4droid because sony asked them., Where they will stop I don't know but once you start then I'm sure there is no stopping.

Yes, damn them removing apps that blatantly infringed upon copyright.

One of the main problems with the market is the amount of knock offs of developers games, look at fruit ninja, there's a dozen clones on there, so how are the people that actually came up with the game going to make any money off it?

Surely the emulator isn't infringing on any copyright though., it's the actual roms that are? My main gripe is with the gambling apps though. We are not american we are allowed gamble. We don't have the best horse racing industry for no reason. Why remove the apps and the auto updating supplied by the market.

They did it from a moral thing, they removed them all in december. They removed psx4droid because sony asked them., Where they will stop I don't know but once you start then I'm sure there is no stopping.

Yes, damn them removing apps that blatantly infringed upon copyright.

One of the main problems with the market is the amount of knock offs of developers games, look at fruit ninja, there's a dozen clones on there, so how are the people that actually came up with the game going to make any money off it?

Surely the emulator isn't infringing on any copyright though., it's the actual roms that are? My main gripe is with the gambling apps though. We are not american we are allowed gamble. We don't have the best horse racing industry for no reason. Why remove the apps and the auto updating supplied by the market.

It's facilitating copyright infringement.

Also it made use of sony's trademarks.

Emulation itself is legal protected by reverse engineering laws, but it's a minefield to walk through without stepping on copyright and trademark infringement.

I think the issue with gambling apps is there's no real age controls on it. It's an odd one, especially as apple now allow real money gambling on the app store, and I think google have got that one wrong, but they are a US based company and the US has VERY strict gambling laws. But if apple have managed to get past them surely google can too.

So use a different market, or use appbrain or one of the many app sites. Your argument only holds if you consider the delivery of apps as a single vendor silo. You are not restricted to one market, you have a choice.

I use app brain, applanet and amazon doesnt alter the fact that the search option on android Market is shite which is pretty ironic considering it's a google offering.

True, but the search on my microwave is shite too, so I don't use it.

I can't see the irony in your statement. It's strange, ridiculous, farcical that google have implemented a poor search for the market, but not ironic.

True, but the search on my microwave is shite too, so I don't use it.

I can't see the irony in your statement. It's strange, ridiculous, farcical that google have implemented a poor search for the market, but not ironic.

Of course it's ironic.

Irony is after all "incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs".

Saying that Google failing at making a decent search in the market when that's their bread and butter business isn't ironic is like saying a wedding planner having a disaster of a wedding wouldn't be ironic either. Both are textbook irony.

Irony is the use of words to convey the opposite of their literal meaning. dictionary.com

Had Mykeyb said "the search engine in the market app is as good as you would expect from a search giant like Google", then that would have been ironic. I'm not going to argue about it in this thread.

Huge problem with my Nexus S. It seems there is a bug where if you have used the LED flash as a torch/flashlight then the flash in the camera app is permanently disabled.

Im not at my PC right now, so all I could find by searching was a forum post with no replies from a guy who has the same problem and another forum post with no replies from a guy saying its a known bug with the Nexus S.

Any ideas on how to fix this? A camera with a working flash i kinda important to me!

Huge problem with my Nexus S. It seems there is a bug where if you have used the LED flash as a torch/flashlight then the flash in the camera app is permanently disabled.

Im not at my PC right now, so all I could find by searching was a forum post with no replies from a guy who has the same problem and another forum post with no replies from a guy saying its a known bug with the Nexus S.

Any ideas on how to fix this? A camera with a working flash i kinda important to me!

Not seen that myself. Mine always works fine. I have been on CyanogenMod for some time though.

Problem solved. It was in night mode, which for some reason disables the flash. If you put it back to auto then its as if nothing ever happened.

Irony is the use of words to convey the opposite of their literal meaning. dictionary.com

Had Mykeyb said "the search engine in the market app is as good as you would expect from a search giant like Google", then that would have been ironic. I'm not going to argue about it in this thread.

What would be ironic about that comment

So, the old man has bought an Xperia Arc (Android 2.3, kickass camera, HDMI out) and I am pretty sure he is going to ask me to make it awesome for him. I havent really got a clue about these things, so any suggestions?

Nah after owning an X10 I think I'm done with them, as much as I love how the arc looks. But an unlocked bootloader is a pre requisite for a phone for me. Samsung I'd assume will stick with an unlocked bootloader with the SGS2.

X10 will be upgraded to 2.3 too they say. Big shift in the companies stance.

Â