Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Okay, this is another hijack post but the The_Rev vs 3 story has another chapter, and this thread is probably the only place where I can get an informed response:

I posted above that I phoned up and requested my PAC code, I am in a position where I can leave with 30 days notice which is good for me. I have the cash to get a Nexus S, and the £10 monthly contract from GiffGaff (250 mins, unlimited texts, unlimited internet) looks mighty appealing. I need to find out what "unlimited" on GiffGaff means though, I have no interest if unlimited means 500mb a month.

Anyway, I have just got off the phone with 3 and they are offering me my current tariff (600 mins, 100 texts) for £10 a month, they threw in an extra 1000 texts on my current/old contract and I had an internet add on for £5 a month. Those extras are not included in the new offer as it stands. They offered me the Nokia E5, HTC Wildfire and LG Optimus one as a free handset if I signed an 18 month deal at £10 a month (they didnt mention that I would need the data add on again...) but I said no because I wanted a handset that wasnt a downgrade or sideways move from my HTC Hero.

They then offered me a HTC Desire HD for £180 with the above contract (its gonna cost £15 a month because I will want the data plan) if I sign an 18 month deal. I said I would think about it and requested they sent me my PAC code as a text message. They said they would call back on Friday.

Now I assume on Friday they will make me a better offer on the monthly bill. If I can get a load of text messages thrown in or something sweet with the data, I have to say I am very much tempted by the offer. HTC Desire HD for £180 on an 18 month deal. What do you think guys?

I signed up to another 18 month contract with T-Mobile to get a free HTC Desire, so I could sell it on eBay and fund the purchase of my Galaxy S and then Nexus S. Without paying £400 out for a phone which I couldn't do at the time I needed the contract, but the contract is quite good and I couldn't get better so I didn't mind being tied in for 18 months.

But, if you don't have to be tied in for 18 months, it would have to be an amazing deal, if you already have the money up front for a Nexus S. Let's be honest, the Desire HD isn't going to hold its value very well and if you get a 3 branded, network locked DHD you'll have a job selling it if you need to, after you've decided you don't like the screen and the battery is as bad as people say.

But you can pay another £200, get an unbranded phone on a monthly rolling contract with the freedom to do whatever you want, and it's a fully unlocked, unbranded phone that will hold its value well and you'll have no trouble selling if you want to do something else.

As for unlimited on GiffGaff, I was trying to find any mention of a FUP, and it doesn't seem that there is one. If you start tethering 10 laptops file sharing a day and use 20GB / month they will apparently get in touch and ask you to stop.

Atrix has the tegra platform and looks a far better phone and Samsung has the dual core Orion plus a new SAMOLED screen.

I wouldn't touch the LG phone with a shitty stick, they were first to market for a reason, they had to be because better phones were coming from their rivals.

The Atrix is going to be locked down tighter than a nuns chuff by all accounts.

Indeed.

Plus the Atrix has a ton of useless crap no one is ever going to use. Desktop mode on a phone? No thanks.

Motorola hardly have the greatest reputations when it comes to phones, it wasn't all that long ago people wouldn't touch their hardware with a bargepole, all it takes is one phone to change that opinion (and I still wouldn't have most motorolas!)

The Atrix is also uglier than the x2.

I could buy a new in box HTC Desire for €300 off some guy on the internet unlocked, or I could buy it in a shop for €420. Is €120 too much for an after sales service and a warranty and a small bit more peace of mind? What is the likelihood that I'll need to bring it back to the shop for anything?

I know that there's plenty more advanced htcs out there now, but I can't let myself spend that much money on such a novelty item. Is there one coming out soon that will make the current HTC Desire almost obsolete?

The problem is, if it is illegal in anyway, then I wouldn't want to put my SIM into it.

If you are happy that it's legit, then there is not a lot to worry about. If it is a lemon, you're screwed. The handset will be outdated by the dual core phones out in the coming months, but it won't suddenly become obsolete. If it can do a job more you, it's not obsolete.

The Desire will become cheaper when HTC announce the Desire 2 at Mobile World Congress.

The new specs for the Galaxy S II have me drooling. The Samsung Galaxy S II will have a 1GHz dual-core processor, 4.3-inch (4.27-inch) Super AMOLED WVGA display, is 8.49mm thick and weighs in at 116g.

It's lighter than the previous Galaxy S, unbelievable. For people who love the old one this is exactly what we wanted. Super light, bigger screen. Awesome, can't wait till I can pre order one.

Man I cannot wait to see the screen on the new galaxy s2. Techradar say this has blown them away and is leaps ahead of the old galaxy s. It must be some screen. Also htc take note, 1630mah battery is what you need in a phone.

I can imagine this will be the best of the new generation of smartphones.

Its out in early March too, isn't it?

One thing I love about Apple is the trend they started when they unveil a new phone and tell everybody it will be on shelves in a week or three. When tech gets treated the same as media and they unveil stuff that is not going to be out for months it makes me lose all interest.

Well i have to say i am impressed , that new samsung looks abit good doesnt it . I think i'll wait and have one of those bad boys when my contract is up for renewal .

By the way on a side note , my misses is looking at gettin a new phone . Now this is gonna sound like a really silly question but she is hooked on playing bejewelled on facebook can you play this game on an android or iphone while on facebook ?

Â