Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to piss on everybody's parade here, but I dont think it's quite as cut and dry as some seem to think. I'm sure there will be some more twists and suprises before this saga reaches it's conclusion. What about the Athole bid, they've been quietly going about their business - they could have a strong package to present to the board. Then there are the other two, Neville looks increasingly like an outsider now, the Padfield one is a total mystery. Nope it aint over yet.

i booked a few weeks off work when this story first broke 6-7 days ago, it better be finished by next friday, but knowing my luck the deal will go through the second i set foot on the scaffolding

I'm gonna wait and see what happens before getting excited.

If Lerner is back, it shows a real willingness to take the club over. Imagine you were his shoes. If you weren't that bothered your interest would have finished as soon as you realised piss pants was a mental patient. It sounds like Randy's very expensive strop has paid off. Flying your jet back to the states isn't cheap u know :) And i think the pressure is on ellis to secure a deal with the yank.

From the Telegraph - Backs up rumours that MON is on his way but makes mention that Ellis might not sell!!

The prospect of Martin O'Neill becoming the new manager of Aston Villa before the start of the Premiership season is looking increasingly likely despite the apparent reluctance of chairman Doug Ellis to relinquish his vice-like grip on the Midlands club.

O'Neill, who has hand-picked Villa as the perfect venue for him to return from a lengthy sabbatical following his resignation as Celtic manager in May last year, is understood to be willing to meet with Ellis in the next few days and is seriously considering working alongside the 82-year-old.

He was one phone call away from becoming David O'Leary's replacement last Wednesday after agreeing everything in principle with American billionaire Randy Lerner before the owner of the Cleveland Browns NFL franchise pulled out of negotiations over a proposed £57.2 million takeover because of Ellis's attempts to involve him in an auction for the club.

It was widely expected that O'Neill, always his own man, would not entertain any thought of working with Ellis, but in the last few days there appears to have been a softening of attitude on the part of the Irishman and he could now be swayed into becoming the 14th manager to serve under Ellis during his 30-year association with Villa.

Ellis has made his admiration for the Irishman clear and seemingly O'Neill is equally enamoured by the club, despite the political problems behind the scenes with four consortiums fighting for control.

After taking time out to care for his wife Geraldine, who is suffering from cancer, O'Neill believes the timing and geographical location for a comeback is ideal. O'Neill refused to entertain the prospect of Newcastle United or Sunderland because he could not be close enough to his family home in Hertfordshire. But it is possible for him to commute to Villa Park.

He also believes that, after two years of decline under O'Leary resulting in a lowly 16th place finish last season, that it is an opportune moment to step in at Villa Park.

Throughout his career he has been a master of timing when he plans his next career move but whether the appointment of the charismatic European Cup winner with Nottingham Forest will be sufficient consolation to disgruntled supporters, who now face the prospect of Ellis extending his reign at Villa, is open to question. But the octogenarian seems as determined as ever to remain in charge now O'Neill has made his intentions known.

Despite being Sven-Goran Eriksson's agent, Athole Still is leading another consortium who also want to put O'Neill in charge, but the Irishman would ideally have liked Lerner's attempted buy-out to have succeeded. The offer from the American remains lodged with Villa's accountants at Rothschilds, but O'Neill is increasingly aware that he needs to decide quickly whether to accept the post, irrespective of the uncertainties hanging over Villa's ownership.

Even a decision in the next few days would leave him with precious little time to assess the existing squad and make the changes he feels are required before the transfer window closes at the end of August. Milan Baros and Olof Mellberg are wanted by Hamburg and Levante respectively and midfielder Gareth Barry has a meeting scheduled for later this week in which it is expected he will reiterate his desire to leave the club.

Barry, 25, has not submitted a transfer request but has already told Ellis he feels the time is right to move on. With Steve McLaren pondering his first squad as new England manager, Barry is keen to press his claims for a future recall by impressing at a new club. Portsmouth, Bolton, Middlesbrough and Tottenham have all expressed an interest in the versatile left-sided player and a fee of around £5.5 million could persuade Villa to sell.

Guest RantinRob
Ellis will want his customary cut no doubt.

:evil:

If he **** this up I'LL give him a cut, straight ACROSS THE THROAT :evil:

The Telegraph says, according to JulieB, "Milan Baros and Olof Mellberg are wanted by Hamburg and Levante respectively..."

I thought Mellberg to Levante was a dead proposition. Have Levante resumed their attempts to get Mellberg? Please tell me it ain't so.

I don't think they have, they've chairman said they're interest was over about 2 weeks ago cause villa wouldn't except they're bid, it seems that the telegraph is jst trying to find news other than that about the take-over, and those two pieces are the only recent transfer news connected with us.

Or another view:

Still lines up 'four top-quality managers' for Villa

Stuart James

Tuesday August 1, 2006

The Guardian

The consortium headed by Sven-Goran Eriksson's agent Athole Still has four managers of "the highest quality" lined up should its bid to take over Aston Villa prove successful, although the former England coach is not on the short list as he is "considering other offers". Claudio Ranieri had also been mentioned but sources say those reports are wide of the mark.

Still would not have the final say on any decision about David O'Leary's successor either should the consortium take control from Villa's chairman Doug Ellis. Still was pictured leaving the ground last Wednesday after holding talks with Ellis, although that was the second time the parties have met and not the first as many were led to believe. Still's interest has been three months in the planning and talks are now at an advanced stage, with more expected in the next 24 hours.

With the American billionaire Randy Lerner reluctant to revive his interest after negotiations with Ellis broke down last week and doubts over funding continuing to cast a shadow over Michael Neville's consortium, Still appears the frontrunner. Villa are aware of the seriousness of its interest and the financial muscle within the consortium. Still is also believed to have assured Ellis there will be significant money for new players.

Still would not be able to take on a senior position if his consortium wins, however, as it would conflict with his role as a Fifa licensed agent. Instead he would be available in a consultative capacity. The group of investors, drawn from several countries, are understood to be excited at the prospect of taking control.

One potential threat to their plan is the consortium led by the deputy high court judge Nicholas Padfield QC. He is out of the country but will return for talks with the board a week today. It has been reported that the group, known as AV06, would withdraw its interest if Martin O'Neill is appointed as manager but there are no such plans. A source close to the consortium confirmed that there has been contact with the former Denmark players Michael Laudrup and John Jensen, whose names are among those "in the frame" for manager. That would appear some way off, given that a meeting with the board has yet to take place.

I think there is a lot of 2 and 2's not making 4

I think this week is breaking point for doug, if he doesn't sell up then us fans should be baying for his blood,

i've come to the conclusion that doug wanted to hear all involved parties bids for the club, that's why when Lerner offered last week he declined and was seen to 'turn the bids into a auction for the club' i am no way in Ellis's corner but i think he may have now seen what everybody else has to offer (hence the tours given to Sven/Still etc).

I jst hope he has seen the light and sell to Lerner.

Jesus, everytime i read alittle about the takeover i get alitte excited but i should know better not to.

Please Doug let us go.