Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

Uh? You saying a takeover would/could leave cudly duddly still in charge?

Well I'm confused, please elaborate. Theres a difference between honorary president for life and exec chairman/CEO.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am saying a takeover will leave him in the vclub in some kind of honourary role maybe with some nominal power but stripped of the real decsion making and as long as that happens I am happy with that. As Isaid before I don't give a toss who takes us over as long as they have a clear buisness plan and ambition to tkae us forward.

Ian, apologies for appearing confused, but

Gringo, he won't go, IF a takeover happens, he will still be here like a large sore, but in overall control ....

means the opposite of

I am saying a takeover will leave him in the vclub in some kind of honourary role maybe with some nominal power but stripped of the real decsion making

So thank you for clarifying, happy new year.

So if im right this could be a done deal or it could not isnt this what weve benn thinking and told the last two months now :? Surely with the transfer window open the deal if there should be quickly wrapped up so we can bid for a few players at least and as ive said numerous times on here get a bid ib for wilhemsson from anderlecht there isnt a player like him makes manutd's ronaldo look tame :D

villa till i die

To continue the earlier Simpsons line:

In the episode "Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk"

Homer learns he owns stock in the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant and sells his 1,000 shares for 25 cents apiece, netting $25. Seconds after the sale, the value of the stock skyrockets to $52 per share, and while Homer misses out on the windfall – he could have made $5,200, after all – all the other employees clean up.

The reason for the stock's inflated value is because a depressed Mr. Burns wants to sell the plant to pursue other interests. The sale is completed at a value of $100 million to two German businessmen, Horst and Fritz. They immediately begin a thorough evaluation of the plant and its employees. When they interview Homer, he is unable to intelligently answer their questions and begins slipping into a dream about cavorting through "The Land of Chocolate." It isn't long before Homer is fired.

A depressed Homer mopes around the house, insisting he is a competent safety-minded worker. Meanwhile, Burns is not having a good time in retirement and decides to go to Moe's Tavern to have a drink. There, Homer and the other bar patrons laugh scornfully at Burns. Burns realizes his job as owner of a nuclear plant gives him power and is resolved to buy back the plant.

The German investors are more than willing to sell the plant back to Burns (for only $50 million), particularly since it will cost about as much as it did to buy the plant to correct all the safety violations. Homer is re-hired, and Burns plots his revenge at some unspecified point in the future.

For Homer use Abdul Rashid or Mark Ansell? For Mr Burns replace with our very own chairman. For the plant replace Villa Park. For the Germans try the Irish. $100m is quite close to the chairman's original sale price. Solution don't ever allow our CEO & Abdul/Mark to get together over a pint of Duff at the local after the deal has been done! :winkold:

Out with the old & in with the new - the hour draws closer with each day!

I would think that the petchey purchase of the pubs is a bit of a red herring.

"He needs money to do another deal"

"He slows down this one which would net him money"

Doesnt add up.

And I'm sure the pub owners wanted a little mure surety of finance than "I'll pick up the cash when cuddly duddly sells up". Petchey has more cash floating around (maybe not as much assets) than the comers and so would not allow this deal to get in the way more lucrative deals. He could raise more by flogging his reg vardy shares (c£25m) on the open market straight away instead of waiting for this purchase to go through.

But IF Petchey is holding the deal up, is it not because he is interested in the same land that the comers want to develop? Could JP be looking for a sweetener out of all this?

Anything in the press today (Irish or English) about this today folks?

in the mirror there is a full page spread with an interview from HDE.

some highlights include

"i have sleepless nights worrying about the fans"

"i actually played football, im not just a chairman"

i suggest you go and by the paper, its a good read from HDE, where he basicly concedes that his reign is over.

usual stuff really, some lies, some other stuff, byut Jim you are right, same tone as the pre match stuff yesterday, no future plans, just trying to secure a favourable press when he goes. As for sleepeless nights recently, this period of time is the quietest he has had because of his health for years.

EXCLUSIVE: WHY DEADLY DOUG HASN'T BEEN SLEEPING

Exclusive Anthony Clavane

YOU suspect Doug Ellis must have the hide of a rhino to survive the abuse he's endured for so many years of his time in charge of Aston Villa.

Few chairmen have seen thousands of fans take to the streets in protest against their club's hierarchy and target a man who will be 82 next Tuesday for such hostile, and painfully personal, torment.

But as his time as the biggest shareholder at Villa draws to a close Ellis has revealed how fans' criticism has got to him in the last few months - giving him many sleepless nights.

After a reign that stretches back to 1968 with only a three-year gap, Deadly Doug is on the verge of completing a £64.4million sale of the Midlands outfit. This will delight a highly vocal section of Villa supporters who have constantly attacked him for an alleged penny-pinching approach that has turned the club into serial under-achievers.

But, in an exclusive interview with Sunday Mirror Sport, Ellis has fiercely defended his 34-year reign. And he warned fans, who are hopeful that the imminent takeover by the billionaire Irish Comer brothers will allow David O'Leary to splash the cash, that a "spend, spend, spend" policy will be counter-productive.

Ellis said: "I'm very human. I have taken all the criticism by some of the fans seriously. In fact, very often I have had sleepless nights over it.

Advertisement

"But I take satisfaction from the fact that, by and large, this club is stable. It hasn't got a medium to long-term debt like most other clubs.

"The thing is, money does not guarantee success. It never has done. Look at what Wigan have done on very little - and there are many other clubs over the years that I could also mention."

Stock Exchange regulations prevent Ellis from discussing the takeover but he admits he has always had a turbulent relationship with supporters. This came to a head last season when "Villa Fans Combined" organised a "Show Doug The Red Card" protest in a match against Middlesbrough.

The other issue Ellis refuses to debate is O'Leary's long-term future. On his appointment 30 months ago the Irishman claimed he wanted to show he was not a chequebook manager and would prove it with Villa, where the cash was tighter than in his previous employment at spendthrift Leeds.

Within months O'Leary had changed tack to claim that he needed chequebook backing if he was to lift Villa on to a higher Premier League plane.

But Ellis insists he has backed managers over the years - there have been 13 in total - and is disappointed that the investment has not turned the club into high achievers.

He said: "We've spent around £100m on new players over the years and I'd expect us to be much higher up the table than we are. Take this summer. We spent £10.5m on Baros and Bouma. Then we brought in Taylor and Phillips.

"In 1968 I came in and the club was virtually bankrupt. I supported Villa with £100,000 right away, but I said then we'd have to breed, not buy.

"So I supported a youth scheme, putting in £10,000, and I am proud that seven players in the squad that won the European Cup originated from that youth scheme.

"I am pleased we are now at the top of the youth league and near the top of the reserve league. There are three or four youngsters around now who I think will make it."

Ironically, the team won the European Cup in 1982 - as well as the title the season before - during his time away from Villa Park.

"I'm not just a chairman - I did play the game, you know," he said. "I believe success breeds success. It's a team game, and with all respect to managers it's the players who count. If you've got the right players and they are all with you then you've got a chance."

Despite their recent revival in the Premiership, some fans want O'Leary to be sacked if the takeover goes ahead.

Ellis said: "Losing to Doncaster in the Carling Cup left me feeling humiliated. They played us off the park. But there's no way you'd expect to have words from me criticising our manager."

German legend Franz Beckenbauer could have been managing Villa but for a bizarre mix-up.

"We were sitting next to the Beckenbauers and my German wife really got on well with his. I asked him if he'd like to manage an English club and he said 'Yes, when I retire'.

"So when there was a vacancy, I rang him at his home.

"I spoke to his wife but, some way into the conversation, she said, 'You've got the wrong wife'. I hadn't realised Franz had remarried!"

Thanks Jimzk5 & Ian.

"The thing is, money does not guarantee success. It never has done. Look at what Wigan have done on very little

If only we were Wigan! :roll:

"In 1968 I came in and the club was virtually bankrupt. I supported Villa with £100,000 right away

And took it back shortly afterwards and we have paid you millions since. And in 1982 you came to a club that had just won the European Cup.

"I'm not just a chairman - I did play the game, you know

Show us your medals then!

I hadn't realised Franz had remarried

Or that the Kaiser would say anything to get rid of you. :winkold:

"I'm very human. I have taken all the criticism by some of the fans seriously. In fact, very often I have had sleepless nights over it.

And we have been hurt by what you have done to our football club, it is however nice to know we have had some impact.

I can think of millions of reasons why you should have a Happy Birthday on Tuesday, give us one and take the cash!

He's a strange old mix, Ellis.

There's the half truths (the 100 grand was a loan, but he doesn't say that) and delusions ( he may have "played", but not as a league professional player - he's also claimed to be a table tennis champion, a boxing champion the inventor of [oh, you've heard that one].)

And then he claims to be hurt because we think he's a serial bullshitter, selfish and mediocre.

A few years ago it appeared arrogant, utterly self-centred and frankly ridiculous, now it just seems sad.

I agree blandy, this is now just an ill old man who is clinging onto the only thing he cares about but is now realising he hs to let it go. The analogy is similar to a parent that clings onto a child even though they have grown up and are ready to move on. The child that is now an adult, is held back because of the selfishness of the parent.

Interestingly Teamtalk also believe this is going to happen.

Sorensen wary of Kanu threat

Thomas Sorensen has urged his Aston Villa defenders to keep the threat of a rejuvenated Kanu at long range in Monday's derby against West Brom as the proposed takeover at Villa Park moves closer to completion.

Sources close to Villa suggest the consortium fronted by Villa fan Michael Neville could even be in control by midweek when the Stock Exchange re-opens.

But in the short term the aim is to complete the festive season unbeaten after the impressive goalless draw with Arsenal and keeper Sorensen knows Kanu will pose a big threat to those aspirations.

The Nigerian international was an inspirational figure and scored both goals in Albion's 2-0 win over Tottenham in their last home encounter with Tottenham.

He was left out of the single-goal reversal against Liverpool on New Year's Eve because of a couple of minor injury niggles but is almost certain to face David O'Leary's side.

Sorensen will be looking for his back four to shackle Kanu in the same way they denied Thierry Henry and co many opportunities.

The Danish international said: "Kanu has been doing very well but we will try to keep him away from the box.

"He can do all sorts of tricks and can strike from anywhere. We need to be aware of that, but he is not the fastest player so, if you can keep him up the pitch, he is not going to be the same danger."

Sorensen added: "Kanu is unpredictable. You might not see him for a couple of games and then he will be fantastic - you need to expect the worst.

"You hope he won't reach the highest level. It's the same with all players. You have to expect the worst - you mentally prepare for it - and then take it as it comes. Hopefully it will be easier than you expect."

West Brom have not beaten Villa at home for 20 years but Sorensen is aware of their impressive form at The Hawthorns in recent months.

He said: "We know it is tough to go to Albion. A lot of teams have found that. Arsenal, Tottenham, Manchester City, Everton have all been beaten fairly comfortably there.

"It is going to be a hard battle - all derbies are - and quite similar to the one with Birmingham, but we know we have to win the battle before we can hopefully show our skill.

"Sometimes the tighter grounds tends to create a bigger atmosphere. It's hard to play at those places and Albion have a good home record."

So what a present he could get on his 82nd Brithday - 60 odd million pounds, makes my new socks and a tie look a bit sad really.

Come on Ellis give us the present we all want, you **** off