70 members have voted

1. 1. Which party gets your X

• Labour
    • Conservative (and UUP alliance)
    • Liberal Democrat
    • Green
    • UKIP
    • BNP
    • Jury Team (Coallition of Independents)
    • Spoil Ballot
    • Not voting

Why?

Mr I saw the recession coming way back in 2000 and I was the only one ..no he's not smug at all is he ..

the guy has had more economic shifts than even George Osborne .. He hasn't been stating a party position; he's been engaging in punditry ..why was Cable pushing for us to commit to tax cuts last year for example ?

nope despite Cable’s policies not standing up to close scrutiny , he has become the chosen one which means he could break wind in a mic and everyone would give him a round of applause and fawn over him ...

if one was prepared to listen Osborne put in a fairly reasonable performance , he didn't stutter over his words like Darling , it was quite polished and he stood up quite well ..much as it appears to pain the VT Cable fan club

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think George Osbourne is the biggest threat to the Tories not winning this election. The guy just comes across a smug, clueless pratt.

Based on the debate on channel 4 tonight the Tories are the last party you would vote for.

The cons really should piss this election but they're not because once again they have the wrong people leading them.

Guest Ricardomeister

I am not saying that Cable or Darling are the world's greatest but Osbourne comes over to me as a totally out of touch buffoon who, like many of his mates, cares more for looking after the rich than the normal person.

The 3 Tory policies on Inheritance Tax (even though I would eventually benefit from that as, unlike most Tories, I have a social conscience), selling off cheap bank shares and the re-introduction of fox hunting would put me off them anyway but add in Osbourne and they have an even less than zero chance of my vote.

Why?

Mr I saw the recession coming way back in 2000 and I was the only one ..no he's not smug at all is he ..

Except he was hardly being smug about it.

Just because someone did predict something, it doesn't make them smug if they correct someone who incorrectly accuses them of not predicting it.

Smugness is to do with their manner of portraying it.

the guy has had more economic shifts than even George Osborne .. He hasn't been stating a party position; he's been engaging in punditry ..why was Cable pushing for us to commit to tax cuts last year for example ?

More shifts than Osborne? Firstly, I don't see that; secondly, if you're accusing him of that, doesn't that mean that you think Osborne has been guilty of a number of 'economic shifts', also?

Why was Cable pushing for a commitment to tax cuts last year? Possibly because he thought that any future public spending policy ought to be dealt with in a throughly honest fashion?

Don't get me wrong, though I like Vince the C, I do disagree with him on a number of issues (and I definitely disagree with his caricature of unions though I'd expect it from someone who hasn't fully shaken of the shackles off his former oppressive capitalist self).

if one was prepared to listen Osborne put in a fairly reasonable performance , he didn't stutter over his words like Darling , it was quite polished and he stood up quite well ..much as it appears to pain the VT Cable fan club

I listened to Osborne and his 'performance' was not bad - better than Darling's performance.

Their content, however, was pretty much of a muchness (which to a certain extent would also include Cable's content).

None of them get it - they're all going for what we used to have though by different paths.

You still won't convince me of anything other than Osborne being a bit of a thicko, though.

then why tell the whole country live on TV ?

it's like someone giving a million quid to charity incognito and then getting their agent to leak the story to the press ... so he may have called it right .. what about the wrong calls he made ?

I've never said Osborne was good /perfect or whatever .. but I have also said he isn't some character out of a Mel Gibson film either ... He stood up well tonight .. we've got the usual VT response about him but all that proved is they didn't actually watch the program and listen to what he said ..

In a show whose format had watered it down to the point it was boring he exposed Darling on death tax and scored a huge win by making Darling bumble his way through his answers .. far better than Cables "looking after your friends" dig that Cable cheapened the debate with .... the only part where George really blew it was the "no chance of being elected" dig at the Lib Dems .. Of course he is correct but it was a tad arrogant to say it and probably undone a lot of the good work he had done during the show

like many of his mates, cares more for looking after the rich than the normal person.

so based on the TV debate ..which bit exactly was it that made you feel that

was it his promise to keep the 50% tax .. to avoid taking the many at the expense of the few

or was it his endorsement of equality as a goal for government

was it the pledge to the NHS

or was it the bankers tax

or was it the removal of the NI rise

or was it that you just didn't listen , as do many others ?

this is why in theory labour are not already dead and buried .. they treat the country with contempt , they've destroyed the economy and yet all you some can think of is that George is posh and will look after his mates

madness ..

You can defend him as much as you like Tony - but he was shown up again tonight and Gideon would be a disaster.

I popped into Notts earlier tonight and saw one of the Tory party new posters. They really are scarping the barrel with the return of the Satchi materials. Nothing whatsoever about policy but all about image and bad mouthing others.

the C4 website was quite interesting also in how people saw tonights candidates.

It seems that the Tory party is now using Ashcofts tax avoidance monies to pay for things that are a return to the days of Thatcher - boys and girls you have been warned she's coming back this time called Dave!

then why tell the whole country live on TV ?

I probably should stop getting disappointed when you don't actually read my posts but, as you missed it first time round:

...it doesn't make them smug if they correct someone who incorrectly accuses them of not predicting it.

what about the wrong calls he made ?

Which ones?

It sounds as though you have a list, Tony.

I think you ought to throw this list out for wider public consumptions/dissection.

BTW, I think you also missed the part of my post (beyond the first couple of words but I'm not responsible for Tory concentration thresholds :winkold:) when I said, "...though I like Vince the C, I do disagree with him on a number of issues...".

we've got the usual VT response about him but all that proved is they didn't actually watch the program and listen to what he said ..

From whom, Tony?

I watched the programme in its entirety (well apart from the moment when I had to serve my supper) and Osborne didn't do anything to really suggest that he wasn't anything other than a spokesperson, a thicko, a muppet. Okay, he has at least two of those in common with Darling (and at least one in common with Cable) but still....

p.s. They're all talking prime, motherfucking bollocks.

Its actually quite alarming to think that someone as clueless as Osbourne can get to such an important position in the Conservative party. It doesn't say much for the rest of them does it? In actual fact the same could be said of Cameron.

but he was shown up again tonight

by who and how ?

the general consensus on the interweb is that George did well .. i suppose I could ask you another way ..If George was shown up tonight , how would you rate darlings performance ? he was the clear loser tonight i think all have to agree on that .. i would say , seeing as Cable only acted for his own personal glory that Osborne may have even just edged tonights debate

BTW, I think you also missed the part of my post

just because one doesn't dissect and respond line by line to the post doesn't mean one hasn't read your post ( for once :winkold:)

From whom, Tony?

from the posters whose posts you clearly didn't read :winkold :

The comments on the BBC site are very interesting. The majority favour Cable and his performance and there is a lot of comments re Gideon and his arrogance especially in the next chancellor statement.

link

but he was shown up again tonight

by who and how ?

the general consensus on the interweb is that George did well .. i suppose I could ask you another way ..If George was shown up tonight , how would you rate darlings performance ? he was the clear loser tonight i think all have to agree on that .. i would say , seeing as Cable only acted for his own personal glory that Osborne may have even just edged tonights debate

Sorry Tony but the general consensus is that Gid did a poor job - unless you are a True Blue. There are mentions of lightweight, arrogance, fish out of water etc etc.

Darling was not the loser at all tonight - the winner was Cable, Gideon got shown up and confirmed that he is a liability, if anything Darling remained in a similar position

As said look at the comments on the BBC web site

BTW, I think you also missed the part of my post

just because one doesn't dissect and respond line by line to the post doesn't mean one hasn't read your post ( for once :winkold:)

Well, it would be nice if you didn't require me to repeat what I had already gone to a great deal of care to post. :D

From whom, Tony?

from the posters whose posts you clearly didn't read :winkold:

I read them all: I didn't see the same as you - as I'm no tory (:winkold:) that's hardly a surprise. :D

BTW, here's a simple thing in Osborne's context and 'performance' (and also in the general context of both Labour and the Lib Dems), there wasn't much reference to the 'real' economy. There is a time bomb waiting to go off and I don't think that politics has any awareness of that.

The 'chancellors' don't get it; neither do most people. There will be a tipping point.

No one will realise where that is until it has been passed.

They can debate all of the crap they want about the last few years but none of the three actually adress what is possible or likely in the economy in the next few years.

In the land of the moron, the most widely read is the king.

Darling was not the loser at all tonight - the winner was Cable, Gideon got shown up and confirmed that he is a liability, if anything Darling remained in a similar position

so all we've really learned tonight is that no preconceived views were changed .. I hope Ch4 didn't waste a lot of money on this show

The Guardian , not normally known as a tory rag came out mainly in favour of Osborne as tonights real winner .. mind you "better than we thought he was going to be " may not actually be the greatest endorsement ever

The telegraph think Osborne just edged it but no great shock there

I've seen many views that Cable won , main that said Osborne won but very very very few that think Darling won

as I said earlier , in a tame contest where the no punching rule was already established .... whilst cable did his after-dinner speaking comedy act Darling got mauled by the "death tax" hits of Osborne .. the only blows that really landed tonight ..