The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

On another note, did you read the 40 page epic thread about plentyoffish.com? That was priceless too, it ended up being a glorified 'ugly bird' contest :D
What was "GabbyGate"?

One of the funniest threads ever, is what it was :crylaugh:

It's a long story though, I'll type it out later or post a few links.

wqo7cp.gif

4iig06.gif

a9lmpt.gif

Cintron's ex-manager is on ESB dishing loads of dirt on Kermit & his past ways :crylaugh::crylaugh::crylaugh: It's absolute quality

Check it out: "High Def Kermit Jump Vid - what do you see?" if you're on there

Leading Australian promoter Bill Treacy and future Hall of Famer Ricky Hatton will co-promote world middleweight contenders Daniel Geale (22-1, 13 KOs) and England’s Mathew Macklin (26-2, 18 KOs) in Sydney, NSW, Australia during August in what promises to outstanding matchup between two of the best 160 pounders in the world today. Hatton was in a Sydney, Australia in December last year and had talks with Treacy regarding promotions featuring Australian and English boxers. “Ricky Hatton has been a pleasure to work with.” said Treacy.” We are happy that Daniel Geale will clash with Mathew Macklin. Both Geale and Macklin have shown they deserve to there world ratings and both have there sights set on a shot at the IBF middleweight championship currently held by Sebastian Sylvester (33-3, 16 KOs).”

He continued, “Sylvester will be defending the championship in Germany on June 5th against Roman Karmazin (40-3-1, 26 KOs) who in my opinion has a good chance of winning the title. Karmazin has scored impressive victories in 2009 in registering knockouts over Dionisio Miranda and Antwun Echols. He definitely has a punchers chance to defeat Sylvester.

“There has been a lot of speculation on the ability of WBA#1 middleweight Gennady Golovkin (18-0,15KO’s) who was an outstanding amateur but in my opinion has not boxed any name opponents as a professional. His knockout win over IBF super middleweight champion Lucian Bute as an amatuer is a outstanding victory. He also holds amateur win over Daniel Geale but we will be happy to fight him – especially if he wins the WBA title. The professional ranks are much different.”

Treacy has a nationally televised Main Event Foxtel Pay-Per-View promotion scheduled for June 2nd at the Wollongong Entertainment Center, Wollongong, NSW, Australia in 2010 and they will feature the cream of the crop from Australia. In what should be outstanding promotion – Daniel Geale, Robert Medley, Billy Dib, Garth Wood, Shannan Taylor, Nader Hamdan, Junior Talipeau will be in action on this show.

The drama from last Saturday's junior middleweight contest between Paul Williams and Kermit Cintron is still going strong. Cintron, and his promoter Lou DiBella, plan to make good on their promise to file a petition with the California State Athletic Commission to reverse last Saturday's four round technical split-decision loss to Williams.

The fight, which took place at the Home Depot Center in Carson, ended in the fourth round when during a clinch Williams tried to do a quick side maneuver to land a hook, which sent both fighters falling backwards. Williams fell on the canvas, while Cintron went through the ropes and landed on a ringside table.

Cintron spoke with BoxingScene.com late Saturday night, and claimed the ringside physician would not allow him to continue. According to Cintron, he asked the doctor for a few minutes to catch his breath after the fall knocked the wind out of him - and the doctor, fearing that Cintron may have suffered a punctured lung, refused his request and stopped the contest.

"When I went out of the ring. I hit the corner of something on my right lower back and it took my breath away. I couldn't catch my breath for about a minute. [The doctor] kept telling me the fight was over and 'let's take you to the hospital so we can check you.' I was fine after a minute. All I needed to do was catch my breath. The guy that was holding my head, he kept saying that I had a punctured lung. I said that 'seriously, I'm fine now, I want to continue the fight and don't take this fight away from me' and they took the f**king fight away from me," Cintron told BoxingScene.com.

The doctor, Paul Wallace, is now defending himself. According to Wallace, Cintron was asked twice if he was able to continue and both times he replied "no." Wallace said he would have allowed the fight to restart if Cintron had indicated that he was capable of continuing.

"I did say I wanted the fight stopped because the fighter twice said he could not continue He was asked, 'Can you continue?' and he said 'no.' Twice. If he had mentioned to me something like, 'Give me a moment ... ,' I understand; these are warriors. Any hint that he still wanted to participate we would've given that to him. We would have got him up and given him a second evaluation," Wallace told The LA Times.

Once Wallace called the fight, he claims Cintron changed his mind and wanted the fight to continue.

"[Cintron] did change his mind [and said] 'I want to fight, don't take the fight from me,'" Wallace said.

Williams' promoter Dan Goossen is still in disbelief over how the fight played out. Pursuant to the governing rules of California, the fight was sent to the scorecards because three rounds had been completed. But Goossen told BoxingScene.com the fight should have been ruled as a technical knockout win for Williams - because there was no involvement of a foul, accidental or intentional.

While Cintron wants to secure an immediate rematch, Goossen sees no reason for another fight to happen. If HBO is interested in a return bout, then Goossen and Team Williams will consider it, but otherwise they plan to move forward.

"It's certainly not the way we wanted the fight to end. I thought Paul was coming on and getting back into his punisher style and then this happened, but the rules - and any rules - not just California rules and not just the unified rules - clearly state that if a fighter sustains an injury that is an accident, and is not an accidental foul or has anything to do with a foul, and the fighter can't continue - then everybody's rules say the same thing - the fighter who wasn't injured wins by TKO. It went to the decision but it should have been a TKO. No one likes a fight to end like this. No one walks away real happy but a W is a W," Goossen told BoxingScene.com.

"I didn't see anything compelling in that fight to have rematch. Certainly if HBO was interested, we would take a look at anything in that regard. We came there to fight, that's what want we wanted to do. Rhe way it ended certainly wasn't satisfying for anyone and we move on from here."

Puto.

Trainer Jack Loew spoke to My Valley Sports , advising the outlet that a conference took place on Monday with former champion Kelly Pavlik and managers Cameron Dunkin and father/manager Mike Pavlik. A decision was made to pass on the rematch with WBO/WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez, who won a twelve round decision over Pavlik on April 17 at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City.

Pavlik was weighed on Monday and came in around 180-pounds. He is able to make the weight for the Martinez rematch but Loew says the struggle would be too much for Pavlik. He weighed as much as 190-pounds in the weeks leading up to the Martinez fight. They are not sure of their next move, but it won't be a fight at middleweight. They plan to move up to at least super middleweight.

Williams vs Martinez?

Andre Ward (20-0, 13 KOs) and Allan Green (29-1, 20 KOs) said at a press conference Wednesday that they both support Olympic-style drug testing before their June 19 fight for Ward’s WBA title. The super-middleweights meet in Oakland, Calif., to conclude the Super Six World Boxing Classic’s second round. Dan Goossen, Ward’s promoter, supports the proposal and said he would discuss it with Lou DiBella, who promotes Green. Green, who appeared at the Oakland press conference via a video stream from Miami, Fla., said it would have hurt his training in nearby Fort Lauderdale to travel across the country and back for the event. Green, who replaces Jermain Taylor in Showtime’s tournament, has been boisterous in the pre-fight build-up, but the Tulsa, Okla., native and resident was low-key and quick to compliment Ward.

Good stuff :thumb:

Dear Boxing Fans,

I want to clear the air about what actually happened in my May 8th fight with Paul Williams. There are a lot of rumors floating around and I want to set the record straight.

About thirty seconds into round four, Paul Williams lost his balance and started falling to the canvas.. Our bodies got tangled and while Paul just hit the canvas, my momentum carried me through the ropes and out of the ring. His falling is what caused me to be off-balance and all I could do was brace myself for impact.

As I fell from the ring, I think I landed on a TV monitor. That collision actually knocked the wind out of me. When I fell from there onto the floor people immediately swarmed around me. I was not exactly sure what had just happened. My only concern was trying to catch my breath.

I didn’t really know who all the people were around me. I was looking for my corner and my personal doctor, but they were not allowed near me. The ringside doctor kept his hand pressing down on me telling me to stay still and on the ground. He was concerned that I might have cracked my ribs or punctured my lung. I guess the fall looked worse than it was. I was sucking wind due to the impact of the fall and the doctor told me not to move. I simply listened to him and remained still. I told the doctor that I was ready to fight and that I just needed to catch my breath. I never said I didn’t want to continue.

California law states “A contestant who has been wrestled, pushed, or has fallen through the ropes during a contest may be helped back by anyone and the referee shall allow a reasonable time for the return.” These rules were not followed. I was not allowed any help from my corner and I was not given time to return to the ring. I was simply told to stay still and then told that the fight had been stopped. I told the doctor several times that I was fine and that I could continue the fight.

As I was being taken away from the ring against my wishes, I heard it announced that Paul Williams had won a split decision. I didn’t understand then, and I still don’t, how anyone could have watched that fight and thought that Paul Williams won.

I trained for 8 weeks to get ready for that fight and I was controlling it in every way. I was on my way to a career defining victory. The fight was going exactly as I had planned. Everything was going my way. I am the one who actually buckled Paul Williams with a right hand. He did not hurt me at all. Moments later, because of a freak accident, he was awarded a win and I got the loss. I know I did not ‘lose’ that fight. There is no way. I controlled every round. Paul said he was open to a rematch and I think that’s the only fair way to settle the score.

I know everyone was looking forward to a great fight between two of the premiere 154-lb fighters in the world. I’m sorry it was cut short but there was nothing I could do about it. For 3+ rounds I set the tone of the fight. The action was starting to pick up when our freak accident occurred. I’m hoping you will want to see us do it all again. Paul Williams is now telling anyone who will listen that he can make 147 lbs. and would like to fight there. I can make that weight as well. Let’s start what we finished. We started it at 154 and I’m fine finishing it there or at 147. Paul said he was open to a rematch. I hope he’s a man of his word.

I’m ready to get it on.

Kermit Cintron

P.S I'm not a Puto

Â