The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

23 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

As for Fury winning the rematch, I think a few are under estimating how good Usyk really is. He's a absolute tactician, if he don't get over powered, he's finishing you in the later rounds.

Furys corner never helped with the tactics , sugar kept saying to Fury step in throw some powerful shots, but John was shouting some other shite.

I think Usyk takes advantage of the fact heavyweight fighters don't want to trade punches, there's no doubt in my mind that if he's challenged to go toe to toe then the bigger man is going to come out on top, it was infuriating watching Joshua piss about trying to outbox him, just step in and throw some shots, Usyk can't match their power but will outbox them every time.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I'm not sure but I also think the IBF belt may be relinquished due to the rematch clause which may leave this being the last undisputed HW battle for many a year. 

The alphabet soup of belts mean nothing in boxing. Boxing fans know who the best fighters are in each division and who minds a meaningless XYZ belt by fighting nobodies.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, villa89 said:

The alphabet soup of belts mean nothing in boxing. Boxing fans know who the best fighters are in each division and who minds a meaningless XYZ belt by fighting nobodies.

A lot of boxing fans don't know jack shit, just like a lot of football fans don't know jack shit. Being a fan doesn't equate to being intelligent or educated on a subject. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avfc96 said:

Taylor vs Catterall 2 this weekend. Hopefully Catterall sparks him.

Yeah really looking forward to the rematch. Catterall robbed in the first fight has serious motivation this weekend. I also think Taylor will be much better prepared and expect a real war.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Yeah really looking forward to the rematch. Catterall robbed in the first fight has serious motivation this weekend. I also think Taylor will be much better prepared and expect a real war.

We are being quite spoiled at the moment what with last weeks unification bout, this and also the next week 5 v 5 card with the best match up of the lot IMO Bivol v Berterbiev

39 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

We are being quite spoiled at the moment what with last weeks unification bout, this and also the next week 5 v 5 card with the best match up of the lot IMO Bivol v Berterbiev

Berterbiev pulled out a few weeks ago due to injury.

Still a cracking card though.

Ball vs Ford

Wilder vs Zhang

Sheeraz vs Williams

etc

1 minute ago, Avfc96 said:

Berterbiev pulled out a few weeks ago due to injury.

Still a cracking card though.

Ball vs Ford

Wilder vs Zhang

Sheeraz vs Williams

etc

damn. how have I missed that news ffs 🤣

2 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Reports that it will end up being rescheduled for October. Might even land on the Usyk vs Fury rematch card.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Bivol v Berterbiev has been postponed due to Berterbiev injury. No new date set yet.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I mentioned the other day on here as I was going to try and get out to see it so a bit gutted, but not totally gutted though as I'm not sure I fancy going to Saudi in all fairness. Rather wait for a Vegas or Maddison Sq Garden card. Love to see that scrap though when it does happen

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Avfc96 said:

Reports that it will end up being rescheduled for October. Might even land on the Usyk vs Fury rematch card.

Can't see any rematch in October for Fury v Usyk if at all this year. Definitely don't see Bivol v Berterbiev on the same card which is a main event in itself tbh. 

Just now, avfc1982am said:

Can't see any rematch in October for Fury v Usyk if at all this year. Definitely don't see Bivol v Berterbiev on the same card which is a main event in itself tbh. 

Some something earlier where Warren has said that Fury will take the rematch and it's being targeted for October 12th which will coincide with the big Saudi sport washing event, sorry I mean 'Riyadh Season'.

Regardless of whenever Bivol vs Berterbiev happens, I just want it to happen.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I mentioned the other day on here as I was going to try and get out to see it so a bit gutted, but not totally gutted though as I'm not sure I fancy going to Saudi in all fairness. Rather wait for a Vegas or Maddison Sq Garden card. Love to see that scrap though when it does happen

Done a few big fights in Vegas, nothing really compares to it

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Avfc96 said:

Some something earlier where Warren has said that Fury will take the rematch and it's being targeted for October 12th which will coincide with the big Saudi sport washing event, sorry I mean 'Riyadh Season'.

Regardless of whenever Bivol vs Berterbiev happens, I just want it to happen.

Maybe the rematch will take place but I'm really dubious tbh. Especially with Fury's background. I expect several months of hard drinking, followed by a retirement announcement, followed a few months later by calling out everyman and his dog for being dossers, to then be followed by a comeback in 2025 lol. By this time Big John 'The Fighting Man' Fury may have come out of hiding to proclaim he'd smash a prime Ali and any other HW in history before dropping the nut on a 5 year old for shouting Usyk at him. 

As for Bivol v Berterbiev it will definitely happen, probably in October now to smooth over the immediate loss of Fury v Usyk 2. 

Of course all the above may or may not happen. 

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Maybe the rematch will take place but I'm really dubious tbh. Especially with Fury's background. I expect several months of hard drinking, followed by a retirement announcement, followed a few months later by calling out everyman and his dog for being dossers, to then be followed by a comeback in 2025 lol. By this time Big John 'The Fighting Man' Fury may have come out of hiding to proclaim he'd smash a prime Ali and any other HW in history before dropping the nut on a 5 year old for shouting Usyk at him. 

As for Bivol v Berterbiev it will definitely happen, probably in October now to smooth over the immediate loss of Fury v Usyk 2. 

Of course all the above may or may not happen. 

Apart from the 'Big John' part, that's nailed on

18 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Done a few big fights in Vegas, nothing really compares to it

I bet. I've done a lot of big fights in the UK over the years, some of the iconic ones but never managed to get out to Vegas.

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I bet. I've done a lot of big fights in the UK over the years, some of the iconic ones but never managed to get out to Vegas.

Highlights were Barrera v Morales 1 at the Mandalay Bay

Jones v Tarver rematch 1

Lewis v Rahman 

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Barrera v Morales 1

You lucky bastard 😂 One of my favourite fights of all time. Even though most people loved Barrera, Morales will always be in my top 5 favourite fighters

The other 2 were great fights too but Barrera v Morales 1 🤩

20 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

You lucky bastard 😂 One of my favourite fights of all time. Even though most people loved Barrera, Morales will always be in my top 5 favourite fighters

The other 2 were great fights too but Barrera v Morales 1 🤩

All three very not too sloppy in all fairness, one of the great trilogy's, very feasible argument that both 1 & 2 got awarded the wrong way and the result of the third one changes every time I watch it 🤣

Â