The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Wow, so as predicted Alvarado vs Provo was a fight of the year candidate and as predicted by me, Provo wins. Excellent fight, I'm going to watch it again.

Yeah, I just caught a replay.  Great fight, wonder if Provo will get a Bradley rematch out of this. 

Wow, so as predicted Alvarado vs Provo was a fight of the year candidate and as predicted by me, Provo wins. Excellent fight, I'm going to watch it again.

Yeah, I just caught a replay.  Great fight, wonder if Provo will get a Bradley rematch out of this. 

I remember the post fight interview for the Bradley fight and he told Provo that he wasn't getting a rematch lol. Perhaps the belt Provo now holds adds something but then it's a junior welterweight title and Bradley is at welter so that belt wouldn't be on the line anyway.

I personally think that Bradley Pacquiao 2 is more likely, although Bob Arum seems keen on Pacquiao vs Provo....

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

James Toney confirmed in the next prizefighter and rumours of butterbean and kimbo slice as well.

I know its a freak show but damn that would be entertaining. Hopefully they will put Audley Harrison in to reclaim his crown for a 3rd time

Edited by donnie

Frankie Leal died yesterday after getting knocked out on Saturday night. :( 

Reading up a bit on the bloke it seems he took a bad beating last year against current IBF featherweight champion Evgeny Gradovich and a lot of people think he shouldn't have been allowed back into the ring following that.  RIP fella. 

James Toney confirmed in the next prizefighter and rumours of butterbean and kimbo slice as well.

I know its a freak show but damn that would be entertaining. Hopefully they will put Audley Harrison in to reclaim his crown for a 3rd time

Toney will be entertaining if you can understand a damn word of what he says, the guy was never that easy to understand but now he's completely unintelligible. 

Toney is one of my all time favourites but damn I wish he would have retired several years ago now. 

The Leal news is horrible I flicked through the Gradovich fight earlier at work and he took a serious beating in that, he was KO'd like 4 times before his last fight, for someone of a young age, and given the nature of some of those KO's he probably shouldn't have been allowed to fight. But then in Mexico they really don't give much of a shit.

Here's the KO video for anyone interested, he was in a seriously bad way after the finishing knockdown and looked frankly brain dead as he was put onto the stretcher. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFB1tB6aYX8

not sure if right thread but think its a disgrace to get rid of headgear in amateur boxing

Obviously headgear reduces some impact but most of that is actually taken by the gloves they wear,amateurs wear gloves that are a lot more padded than the pros. 

One of the things headgear really protects against is cuts.

Anyway they are removing the incentives to be an amateur boxer, it's not like they get paid for it and now they are taking even more risks. If you do well in the amateurs, especially on the Olympic stage then it will ultimately give you exposure and a great platform to go into the pros, however this only applies to a small subset of amateurs in this country.

There's no serious correlation between having a good amateur career and then going on to have a good pro career. In trying to make itself more appealing amateur boxing is in danger of making itself irrelevant. Why take that extra risk for no money? 

main reason i brought up as one of Irish lads was fighting in world championship this week and as amateur boxing can be a bit more sloppier he was complaining that he had a clash of head and after that had blurred vision for rest of fight. was saying with the headgear probably been avoided.

noticed in this championship seems to be a lot more knockouts than normal

not sure if right thread but think its a disgrace to get rid of headgear in amateur boxing

Obviously headgear reduces some impact but most of that is actually taken by the gloves they wear,amateurs wear gloves that are a lot more padded than the pros.

Anyway they are removing the incentives to be an amateur boxer, it's not like they get paid for it and now they are taking even more risks. If you do well in the amateurs, especially on the Olympic stage then it will ultimately give you exposure and a great platform to go into the pros, however this only applies to a small subset of amateurs in this country.

There's no serious correlation between having a good amateur career and then going on to have a good pro career. In trying to make itself more appealing amateur boxing is in danger of making itself irrelevant. Why take that extra risk for no money?

I agree with you totally regarding headguards.

However think your wrong when you say that having a good amateur career has no relation to having a good pro career.

Ali, leonard, de la hoya, Mayweather, even people like froch and fury were top class or decent amateurs before turning pro. Very few top pros who didnt have top amateur records. Look at lomenchenko. Top amateur and in only his second pro fight he is fighting for a world title.

The amateur game is almost essential (obviously not always) for the development of fighters before the pro game.

People knock Audley as a failure after winning the gold medal. Yes he disappointed but that was in large to the bullshit expectations people had off him especially the BBC. Even so he was hardly a failure. British, European and Commonwealth titles and an Olympic gold medal. He didnt do bad really

Hmmm going to the Sheffield Arena tomorrow - daughters friend's B/F is on the under card to the Kell Brook fight - should be interesting

Whats his name??

I agree with you totally regarding headguards.

However think your wrong when you say that having a good amateur career has no relation to having a good pro career.

Ali, leonard, de la hoya, Mayweather, even people like froch and fury were top class or decent amateurs before turning pro. Very few top pros who didnt have top amateur records. Look at lomenchenko. Top amateur and in only his second pro fight he is fighting for a world title.

The amateur game is almost essential (obviously not always) for the development of fighters before the pro game.

People knock Audley as a failure after winning the gold medal. Yes he disappointed but that was in large to the bullshit expectations people had off him especially the BBC. Even so he was hardly a failure. British, European and Commonwealth titles and an Olympic gold medal. He didnt do bad really

Hmmm going to the Sheffield Arena tomorrow - daughters friend's B/F is on the under card to the Kell Brook fight - should be interesting

Whats his name??

This is pretty spurious to be honest, you can list the stand out guys who had great amateur and pro careers but you could also produce a list that is just as long of boxers who had at least 'good' amateur careers but poor professional ones.

No idea, I have no real motivation to watch Brook fight another Euro level fighter. It's about time he stepped in with someone who is world level.

For what it's worth I believe he's  the main event tonight so he'll be walking out at like 10-10:30 ish I guess.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â