PL: Arsenal a Match Thread 2009/12/27 13:30

limpid

Half Time report:

-Gabby working extremely hard and holding up well - he's a more intelligent and skillful player that many give him credit for, and he's always on the shoulder of Vermaelen, who has read everything magnificently thus far, but he's just waiting for one mistake.

-Bit 'empty' in midfield - Milner not really playing at his best right now, but he's still learning the role. Petrov doing well, however, in that defensive position in front of the back four. They have 3 vs our 2 in there and it shows, but all the passing has been in front of us, which is the main thing.

-Despite his error, Warnock has been excellent and has good composure - he's also excellent in the air, which often is ignored. Luke Young perfect on the other side too.

-Against a team that are free-scoring at home, we've looked untroubled on the whole, bar the free kick that I feared we'd be punished for and Eduardo's early chance - seems that was a wake up call because they started like a team on a mission.

-Given the importance of a win for them (in the title race), I expect them to come out strong second half, with Walcott and Fabregas freshening them up. Still a tough ask to come out with a point. If they keep dominating the ball, they will create something tangible eventually, such is the class of people like Arshavin. At present we're lucky that Denilson, Song and Diaby aren't the best at just picking a pass to split us, but we know little Cesc can do that, so we'll have to defend even better second half.

-Going forwards, the shape is good, we just haven't passed it that clinically when we've had the chance to break. Decent half against a superior side.

I dont know how people can say we are playing well. The defence is playing well the rest just keep giving the ball back to le arse. They are dominating us.

We are playing well, it's end to end stuff.

heskey off, carew on. heskey hasnt done much wrong, but nothing right neither. i realy dont see all the fuss. carew is much better, heskey knocks the ball on and he just makes sure he does that, it doesnt matter where it ends up. we can win this. we really can.

That's not Heskey's game. Not sure why were playing this direct, I'd bring on Carew if we do keep playing long ball, although i'd like to see us move the ball around alot more.

Arsenal fan: They've looked exactly as static and unimaginative in the first half as I expected. They're extremely lucky not to be down two goals at half time. All this talk about how Villa were going to bully us physically, outpass our midfield and outrun our defenders... People need to stop doing this to themselves every single game.

We just need a little more drive in the second half. If we get that we'll win this game.

I agree with him.

pete 165:

Good points, I think we need to let them know we have power up front and we are not doing that so they feel they have the impetus

Milner must take hold of the midfield and so must Petrov and Gabby and Ash must take the game to them.

The central midfield as always is the problem. Heskey off Sidwell on imo.

I agree.

I also agree that 40 is the new 30, and that Blouse are the biggest team in Birminham.

(why on earth would you take Heskey off? we can win this!)