General Chat

Stevo985

Found an injured hedgehog in the garden any idea what i should do? think its been attacked by a fox or something he's making grunting noises so he's defo alive but i think he's lost an eye and one or two of his legs are broken as he cant stand and it keeps shaking when he tries to stand on it as if were in pain :(

After seeing the criticality of blood supplies recently, I would ask anyone and everyone to donate if they can. It really does save lives

Is it at crisis levels?

My daughter recently had to have a few pints which basically saved her life, so I have taken a renewed look at this. Apparently with all the holidays etc there will be shortage again, so if you can get out there a spare a pint

Sorry to hear about your daughter mate, i hope she's on the mend now mate.

What was up if you dont mind me asking? Tell me to bugger off if its none of my business.

Unfortunately, Ash, I think all you can do is put it out of it's misery.

I'd suggest something heavy to the head (seriously)

Not too heavy mind...remember you have to clean the poor fecker up after you've splated him! :|

Found an injured hedgehog in the garden any idea what i should do? think its been attacked by a fox or something he's making grunting noises so he's defo alive but i think he's lost an eye and one or two of his legs are broken as he cant stand and it keeps shaking when he tries to stand on it as if were in pain :(
I feel at this point it is only right that I suggest you do it up the wrong 'un.

I hear they no longer give you a Guinness. The bastards!
I usually have some anyway after giving blood. It's a tradition. :)

My dad was once prescribed Guiness by his GP. He was pretty happy with that!

Bugger off ........................... :-)

No it was following a C.Sec, multiple birth but they needed to throw a lot of blood and platelets (SP?) at her - all looking OK now and she is "on the mend"

Bugger off ........................... :-)

No it was following a C.Sec, multiple birth but they needed to throw a lot of blood and platelets (SP?) at her - all looking OK now and she is "on the mend"

Good good :)

Little'uns ok? Your 1st grandkids?

Has anyone donated platelets before?

I'm a regular blood donor and on the bone marrow list. I got a letter the other day about becoming a platelet donor. I'm going to do it, but wondered if anyone knows what's involved?

I was weaned on Guinness. I'm not kidding, BTW.
Guinness, Makeson etc all used to be the "medicine" of the day a while back
Yep. Apparently I was an annoying crying baby (hard to believe, I know, but there it is) and my mum was absolutely at the end of her tether with lack of sleep. She had a bottle of Guinness in the fridge, and in desperation she gave me a medicine glass of it. I promptly slept like a log and so did she. When she woke up she panicked in an "Oh my God, I've poisoned the baby!" state, and subseqently asked her GP if it was OK. He said "Sure, no problem"!

So that was that, I grew up drinking the stuff. Still love it.

I'm a regular blood donor and on the bone marrow list. I got a letter the other day about becoming a platelet donor. I'm going to do it, but wondered if anyone knows what's involved?

Had a conversation about this recently. Apparantly you need to have really thick veins to ensure they get as much as possible out of you.

Think it's a once a month visit to a clinic as well isn't it? Pretty tough going IMO.

Had a conversation about this recently. Apparantly you need to have really thick veins to ensure they get as much as possible out of you.

Think it's a once a month visit to a clinic as well isn't it? Pretty tough going IMO.

I doubt it's once a month, as you can only give blood once every 3 months so I imagine it's similar.

And they specifically sent me a letter, so I don't know if they've tested my blood and it's good to use for platelets, or whether they just send the letter to everyone. but my family donate and they didn't get one.

Regardless, once a month to a clinic is a small price to pay imo. Drat's story above makes it worthwhile :thumb:

Yep. Apparently I was an annoying crying baby (hard to believe, I know, but there it is) and my mum was absolutely at the end of her tether with lack of sleep. She had a bottle of Guinness in the fridge, and in desperation she gave me a medicine glass of it. I promptly slept like a log and so did she. When she woke up she panicked in an "Oh my God, I've poisoned the baby!" state, and subseqently asked her GP if it was OK. He said "Sure, no problem"!

My God. I have so much respect for you right now :)

I doubt it's once a month, as you can only give blood once every 3 months so I imagine it's similar.

And they specifically sent me a letter, so I don't know if they've tested my blood and it's good to use for platelets, or whether they just send the letter to everyone. but my family donate and they didn't get one.

Regardless, once a month to a clinic is a small price to pay imo. Drat's story above makes it worthwhile :thumb:

Maybe it is. I was just talking about it recently with one of the missus' friends and she said she went into the platelet clinic and was refused as her veins were too skinny.

Absolutely, it's something I would love to do to help out but cant unfortunately!

My God. I have so much respect for you right now :)
See? I AM an Irishman in one respect. :)

My respect goes to my mum and her doctor. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Â